Do you lack motivation to go to the gym too?

Options
13»

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    No, I don't.

One thing that I think is huge is having goals at the gym. If you look at it just as a chore just because you need to burn off some calories, it's not going to appeal to you. Maybe you'll want to shave off 10 seconds from your mile time, or add another rep or 5 lbs. on the bench. I've been motivating myself by wanting to increase my strength on the lifts I've been doing.

Exercise has a purpose far above and far removed from just losing weight. You do it to increase your body's endurance and strength. Any calories are just a bonus. If the only purpose was to burn calories, it's much better use of your time and money to just eat fewer calories. That's my two cents.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did for myself was "give up" on the gym. I never had the motivation to go, when I di dhave the motivation I didn't have a babysitter and the gym daycare was closed, etc., etc., etc. But, I wouldn't workout at home, or go for a run because "I'll go to the gym tomorrow" (which never happened).

I finally gave up on the gym and decided to focus on exercising at home and now I FINALLY exercise regularly (at least 5 days a week). I have an elliptical at home, I do 30DS, I run, I do circuit training (I like the sworkit app), sometimes I dance. Sometimes it's only 15 minutes. But that's 15 minutes more than I ever used to do when I felt I had to go to the gym to work out.

I also joined the morning brigade. Started when my daughter was waking up at 5:00. What the heck else was I going to do at 5:00am? But that's kickstarted the habit and now that she's even sleeping to (gasp!) 6:30 some days, I'm still getting up and working out by 6:30. Like I said, sometimes it's only 20 minutes. but I figure 20 minutes x 6 days a week = 2 hours. I never made it for 2 hours a week at the gym. (Plus I've added in other exercises to my life generally, like riding my bike to the train station, actually swimming lengths when taking my kids to the pool, etc).
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Before I gained all the weight, going to the gym early in the morning would be my thing. My life was also much different back then. Now I am married and have a job that I have be at by 6am (which means waking up at around 4:30am). The good part about my schedule at work is i get out early too (2pm) so that would probably be the time that i would dedicate to going to the gym. The tricky part of all of this is this time around I want to try for something that I can stick to easily. I do walk to and from work and that has helped, but I would still like to dedicate some time to a real workout. Does anybody have any suggestions for me as well? I am almost considering buying an actual cardio machine so that i can do this all from home.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I lacked the motivation to go TO the gym, so I bought weights for home and do all my running outside. That's worked better for me than the gym.
    This and getting up at 430 am to get it done.
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    Getting there is the hardest part for me, so I don't. I workout at home / around home.

Getting there is also the hardest part for me. Once I'm there, though, I really have a hard time deciding to leave.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I forced myself to go everyday for about 2 weeks until I got to the point where I enjoyed the 'high'. Now, I will go 3-5 times a week and it is not a chore in the slightest.