Any vegetarians or pseudo-vegetarians?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    A vegetarian who eats poultry and fish? So... an omnivore, then?

But, I only eat meat on Tuesdays! ;)
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »
    A vegetarian who eats poultry and fish? So... an omnivore, then?

I believe the correct term is flexitarian. We learned this in a thread a few months back. It's the hipster way.

Oh jeez, I remember that thread. I think a better term is specialsnowflakeitarian. :wink:

Giggle snort
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Although this detours somewhat from the OP, and given that there is some discussion about this, I'm wondering where I land in terms of categories and labels. I love meat and ate it freely all my life but over the past three years have only been eating fish and eggs in terms of meat etc. That said, it's not exactly vegetarian and not vegan....so I guess it just is what it is without label. Very liberating.
  • Laurend224
    zenaxe wrote: »
    Although this detours somewhat from the OP, and given that there is some discussion about this, I'm wondering where I land in terms of categories and labels. I love meat and ate it freely all my life but over the past three years have only been eating fish and eggs in terms of meat etc. That said, it's not exactly vegetarian and not vegan....so I guess it just is what it is without label. Very liberating.

Ovo-pescatarian?
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, pretty sure if you're asking if it's "possible to have meatless days" then you're not a vegetarian...... I had a meatless 5 years, and as some have pointed out, some of those years were healthy and some weren't--just like some of my "meatful" years have been healthy and some haven't been. It is harder to get enough protein without meat but not impossible and there are some great vegan protein powders out there that should help.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

You learned a valuable lesson it seems.... you don't need a label.

You just eat food's you like and make you happy and are conducive to your lifestyle.

period.
    end of story.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

You just eat food's you like and make you happy and are conducive to your lifestyle.

period.
    end of story.
    agreed and the feeling of superiority of eating one way or another is not necessary

• zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Agreed.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    I'll assume the rudeness was unintentional.

I wouldn't worry about 'complete proteins'. The variance in protein quality between most sources is low enough to be negligible. Unless you are only ever eating one source you will likely be getting enough of all the amino acids.

I find it really easy to get enough protein as a veggie; check my diary if you want some ideas; I eat around 130g a day.

For protein density; seitan, tofu, tempeh, black bean pasta, egg whites & protein shakes are among the best.
  • Jams009
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Ovo-pescatarian?

That's what I would call it.

I kind of agree with the 'no need to label' sentiment, but sometimes labels are helpful for communication; ovo-pescatarian compresses a full sentence into one word.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Jams009 wrote: »

Ovo-pescatarian?

I kind of agree with the 'no need to label' sentiment, but sometimes labels are helpful for communication; ovo-pescatarian compresses a full sentence into one word.

Yeah, until you have to explain whatever the heck it means to someone who isn't down with the lingo...so silly.
  • Laurend224

Ovo-pescatarian?

Yeah, until you have to explain whatever the heck it means to someone who isn't down with the lingo...so silly.

It is silly. I know some vegans who are so uptight about the use of the word vegan, about who has the right to call themselves such. IRL I usually have to explain that I am a dietary vegan, and yes, I have cut out buying anything new that uses animal products. But, I still have a pair of hiking boots that I bought before I became vegan, and since so still own them and wear them I am not considered a vegan in their eyes. When the time comes for new boots, I will go with a veg option. Silliness.
  • Jams009

Ovo-pescatarian?

Yeah... Or you could sound silly if they knew the term already and you just used a full sentence to describe it to them. Can't win really.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

Ovo-pescatarian?

Yeah... Or you could sound silly if they knew the term already and you just used a full sentence to describe it to them. Can't win really.

Yes you can. Don't use stupid labels to explain what you eat to people. A simple "I prefer the fish tonight" is sufficient. I mean, really, who cares?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka wrote: »

period.
    end of story.
    agreed and the feeling of superiority of eating one way or another is not necessary

*nods*
  • Jams009

Ovo-pescatarian?

Yes you can. Don't use stupid labels to explain what you eat to people. A simple "I prefer the fish tonight" is sufficient. I mean, really, who cares?

I think it depends on the situation and who you are talking to; if someone is directly asking you about your dietary preferences then they care at least a little, and it might be useful to have a succinct way of putting it i.e. I'm an "X" (as long as you think the person would understand what you mean - which could be hard to judge). If you are just ordering food, then no; there is no need to announce it to everyone.

Ovo-pescatarian as a label is a bit more obscure and probably less useful/required than vegetarian or vegan, but I don't think it is entirely without merit - especially in the vegetarian/vegan communities.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member

Ovo-pescatarian?

I think it depends on the situation and who you are talking to; if someone is directly asking you about your dietary preferences then they care at least a little, and it might be useful to have a succinct way of putting it i.e. I'm an "X" (as long as you think the person would understand what you mean - which could be hard to judge). If you are just ordering food, then no; there is no need to announce it to everyone.

Ovo-pescatarian as a label is a bit more obscure and probably less useful/required than vegetarian or vegan, but I don't think it is entirely without merit - especially in the vegetarian/vegan communities.

Honestly? Even if you're talking to someone about their dietary preference why is it necessary to label it? Why, if for example, I don't eat red meat, pork, chicken, but I do eat fish, eggs and dairy can't I just say "Well, I don't eat XYZ because I don't like how it tastes but I LOVE my fish, eggs and dairy." Why is it even necessary to say I'm some sort of "atarian"?
  • JoRocka
    edited January 2015

Ovo-pescatarian?

"I eat whatever I want- but mostly chicken, red meat and veggies.

And ice cream.
    pizza and beer.

I eat fish occasionally- but unless it's sushi I don't order it. "

easy.- I just explained what I ate and how I like to eat- without a label
    why? because you don't need one.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited January 2015

Ovo-pescatarian?

It is silly. I know some vegans who are so uptight about the use of the word vegan, about who has the right to call themselves such. IRL I usually have to explain that I am a dietary vegan, and yes, I have cut out buying anything new that uses animal products. But, I still have a pair of hiking boots that I bought before I became vegan, and since so still own them and wear them I am not considered a vegan in their eyes. When the time comes for new boots, I will go with a veg option. Silliness.

Fortunately, your vegan friends are wrong about that. Keeping the boots until the end of their useful life is "more vegan" than immediately replacing them. If they insist you throw them away and get vegan boots, then they are the ones that are simply poseurs and worried about labeling, and are ignoring the spirit of respect for the animal's life. You are more vegan than them in that regard.
  • Laurend224
    sullus wrote: »

Ovo-pescatarian?

Fortunately, your vegan friends are wrong about that. Keeping the boots until the end of their useful life is "more vegan" than immediately replacing them. If they insist you throw them away and get vegan boots, then they are the ones that are simply poseurs and worried about labeling, and are ignoring the spirit of respect for the animal's life. You are more vegan than them in that regard.

I'm also super cheap, errr, frugal. =)