Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Jams009 wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    zenaxe wrote: »
    Although this detours somewhat from the OP, and given that there is some discussion about this, I'm wondering where I land in terms of categories and labels. I love meat and ate it freely all my life but over the past three years have only been eating fish and eggs in terms of meat etc. That said, it's not exactly vegetarian and not vegan....so I guess it just is what it is without label. Very liberating.

Ovo-pescatarian?

That's what I would call it.

I kind of agree with the 'no need to label' sentiment, but sometimes labels are helpful for communication; ovo-pescatarian compresses a full sentence into one word.

Yeah, until you have to explain whatever the heck it means to someone who isn't down with the lingo...so silly.

It is silly. I know some vegans who are so uptight about the use of the word vegan, about who has the right to call themselves such. IRL I usually have to explain that I am a dietary vegan, and yes, I have cut out buying anything new that uses animal products. But, I still have a pair of hiking boots that I bought before I became vegan, and since so still own them and wear them I am not considered a vegan in their eyes. When the time comes for new boots, I will go with a veg option. Silliness.

Fortunately, your vegan friends are wrong about that. Keeping the boots until the end of their useful life is "more vegan" than immediately replacing them. If they insist you throw them away and get vegan boots, then they are the ones that are simply poseurs and worried about labeling, and are ignoring the spirit of respect for the animal's life. You are more vegan than them in that regard.

I'm also super cheap, errr, frugal. =)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Why do you need over 300g of protein a day?

who said that? Did I miss it? I saw someone with 130 grams- but not 300.

EDIT= OP's diary has 319 listed.

That is WAY to much- I concur.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You are not anything close to a vegetarian if you consume poultry or fish.

I am vegan and have no issues hitting, and exceeding my protein goals. I eat lentils, beans, dark green vegetables, soy milk, coconut or soy yogurt, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and some of the vegan meat replacements. It isn't hard to hit your protein goals without consuming meat, fish or any animal products for that matter.

I
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You are not anything close to a vegetarian if you consume poultry or fish.

I am vegan and have no issues hitting, and exceeding my protein goals. I eat lentils, beans, dark green vegetables, soy milk, coconut or soy yogurt, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and some of the vegan meat replacements. It isn't hard to hit your protein goals without consuming meat, fish or any animal products for that matter.

I
    well.

eeeeeehhhhhhh 150 grams of none meat product protein is a lot harder to eat and stay under a certain calorie content.

And honestly I've heard some sketchy stories about processed tof/meat 'replacements'. So yeah- you can hit your min goals- and get a reasonable amount- but if you're trying to hit high protein- you're going to have to do some serious supplementing without meats.
  • dfargher
    dfargher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    OP - 319 grams of protein and 3190 calories a day means you're shooting for 40% of your calories from protein. Not only is that unnecessary (and possibly unhealthy) but no one hits 40% protein without supplementing isolated protein, regardless of their vegetarian/omnivore preference.

FWIW - As a vegetarian I am not at all offended by the idea of "pseudo-vegetarians" or "part-time" vegetarians, or whatever. It's a short-cut to describe their diet (which is typically much lower in meat than one would assume for the term "omnivore"). I'm unclear why people would be offended by such a title.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    OP, I agree that 300grams of protein is totally unnecessary, unless you have some kind of medical condition that you didn't mention. I recommend you do some research into your actual protein requirement and you might find that you can reach it fairly easily without animal products. There are several models, and it will depend on certain factors like whether you are restricting calories, trying to build muscle, etc. When I am in training I usually aim for about 150g of protein a day in a 4000 calorie diet, but I am currently not training for health reasons, so my intake is about half of that now (both calories and protein). I know the CDC has minimum requirements for protein, but since they are so generalized, I'd probably add a cushion to that.

• LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    pseudo-vegetarians
    People who want the smug sense of superiority that comes from being a vegetarian but still want to eat meat?

Those are your words not mine. Are you really that insecure? Find a confidence boost somewhere else.
  • LAMCDylan
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Unlike some people I care what goes into my body. I stay away from red meats, dairy, artificial sweeteners, added sugar, preservatives, peanuts, etc. And I try to eat whole foods or minimally processed foods.

this is so incredibly rude and uneducated.

Wish you the best of luck my friend- because with that attitude- you're going to have a fun time.
    You're incredibly rude and ignorant. And you're the one who is uneducated my friend. Do you got a degree in biology or related health field? I do. Have a nice day.
  • LAMCDylan
    Options
    zenaxe wrote: »
    Although this detours somewhat from the OP, and given that there is some discussion about this, I'm wondering where I land in terms of categories and labels. I love meat and ate it freely all my life but over the past three years have only been eating fish and eggs in terms of meat etc. That said, it's not exactly vegetarian and not vegan....so I guess it just is what it is without label. Very liberating.

You learned a valuable lesson it seems.... you don't need a label.

You just eat food's you like and make you happy and are conducive to your lifestyle.

period.
    end of story.
    agreed and the feeling of superiority of eating one way or another is not necessary
    Has nothing to do with superiority. Some of you people are really envious and insecure about others. If you have nothing to offer the thread then leave instead making yourself look immature.
  • votick
    votick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am in by no means a vegetarian; but I am a student, and as a result I am broke.
    Meat is expensive so I'm making due with tofu.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Unlike some people I care what goes into my body. I stay away from red meats, dairy, artificial sweeteners, added sugar, preservatives, peanuts, etc. And I try to eat whole foods or minimally processed foods.

this is so incredibly rude and uneducated.

Wish you the best of luck my friend- because with that attitude- you're going to have a fun time.
    You're incredibly rude and ignorant. And you're the one who is uneducated my friend. Do you got a degree in biology or related health field? I do. Have a nice day.

LOL. Now I know you are a troll. You might want to work on your grammar before using your degree as a weapon.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    votick wrote: »
    I am in by no means a vegetarian; but I am a student, and as a result I am broke.

Really? Tofu is way more expensive than chicken thighs and ground beef where I am...
  • LAMCDylan
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Before I got into calorie counting and serious weight loss I ate a diet that was high in veggies, fruits, seeds, some grains, legumes, seaweed, and occasionally some fish or poultry. However, I only ate fish/poultry about 2-3 times a week. What I discovered was I was not getting enough protein. So I switched to eating a lot more poultry and fish with the addition of goat milk yogurt. With this diet I am still struggling to get the high amount of protein I need. Unlike some people I care what goes into my body. I stay away from red meats, dairy, artificial sweeteners, added sugar, preservatives, peanuts, etc. And I try to eat whole foods or minimally processed foods.

I make it a point to eat one salad a day. I also have a morning smoothie where I add veggies. I have a higher value on internal health rather than aesthetics. Some people will do whatever it takes to look good but at the cost of having high cholesterol, high blood pressure, vitamin deficiencies, and other issues.

Anyway, now that this is out of the way I want to know how do some of you people get enough protein? Is it possible to have meatless days? Besides nuts, seeds, legumes, sprouts, and egg whites, what do you do? One thing that is driving me crazy is protein density. Apparently not all proteins are created equal. Non-meat sources usually are not as efficient. You need a higher amount of them. So it makes me question if I am getting the indicated protein on some labels or if some of them are not complete. I know quinoa is complete, egg whites as well. How about plant based protein powder? Who uses them? Is it a complete protein? Looking to learn from you.

Thanks

I find this whole post to be quite rude, with emphasis on the bolded parts.

I'd love to know who all these people are that "don't care" about what goes into their body and are "only about the aesthetics rather than health".

Consuming red meat and dairy doesn't make one unhealthy. You're views are the reason why so many vegetarians/vegans get a bad rap.

Some of you have poor comprehension skills. Those items I listed meant I DO NOT eat them. Had nothing to do with saying those that do are unhealthy. What I meant about the aesthetic part is that some people eat pizza and ice cream all the time, and while they look good on the outside, they may not be healthy really. It's amazing that I am finding out a good portion of this forum does indeed feel insecure and envious of people. The ones who get pissed are clearly the one who only give a damn about weight loss and "looking good". Don't even bother you're really ignorant.
  • LAMCDylan
    Options
    Sorry folks no more replies by me. If you post something ignorant and not helpful to the thread you will be ignored. You're not worth my time or energy. Have a nice day.
  • LAMCDylan
    Options
    And for the record, I don't go around telling people I am a vegetarian or pseudo-vegetarian. I think it is stupid actually that some people eat chicken and fish and say they are vegetarian. Just say you don't eat red meat. Keep your ignorance to yourself.

PS: If you feel angered that some people have a different diet than yours or label themselves something you have major issues in your life.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    votick wrote: »

Really? Tofu is way more expensive than chicken thighs and ground beef where I am...

I think it depends where you buy it. I buy my tofu and edamame in Koreatown and it's probably less than 1/2 of the price at Whole Foods or anywhere that it's in the "health food" section.
  • LAMCDylan
    Options
    Lawd... Pseudo-Vegetarian? is this some joke or the byproduct of a drunken night? How shameless and insulting to real Vegetarians and Vegans out there. If you eat meat, of any kind, you are NOT Vegetarian/Vegan...got that? Have some pride and admit you can't change your true eating habits. What's with the ridiculous terms? There's no shame in eating meat and admitting to it if you do. I'm Vegan and my husband is a very happy and healthy Omnivore. I'm glad to be the one selecting lean cuts of meat and cooking them for him. Wild hen, turkey, ram, venison, etc. Does that make him inferior or disgraceful? Absolutely not. Sometimes I fear he might surrender his own liking due to the fact that he loves imitating my eating habits and boy he can eat veggies and tubers like a champion..but I really want him to be the way he really is and never change for anyone. Every person has the right to eat what they want without having someone else judging or shaming them. There is no need to hide behind made-up names or terms. You are what you are and certainly you are not a Vegetarian by a long mile. Please, OP..be yourself and stop bringing shame and negative attention to us.

You sound even more ignorant than the others. Probably the most ignorant in the thread. Congrats. *CLAP CLAP CLAP*
  • PRMinx
    Options
    And for the record, I don't go around telling people I am a vegetarian or pseudo-vegetarian. I think it is stupid actually that some people eat chicken and fish and say they are vegetarian. Just say you don't eat red meat. Keep your ignorance to yourself.

PS: If you feel angered that some people have a different diet than yours or label themselves something you have major issues in your life.

I'm pretty sure you are the only one who is angry here.