Best saying your mom ever said to you

Options

Replies

• HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    My grandmother was a southern girl and always said either, "kill 'em with kindness" or "you get more flies with honey then ya do with lemons".... and she was so right on many occassions! I have only ever had issues with 1 nasty person after applying both those techniques.... I miss that woman! :love: :flowerforyou:

My mom always said "You attract more bees with honey than you do with vinegar" and I was always like, "Why the hell do we want to attract bees?"

...and then I would get my mouth washed out with soap for saying "hell". True story.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    No man is worth your tears, only your dad, and even then use them sparingly.

tears always work with my dad, even now lol

I love this!!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    My Baba (grandmother) always said "Can't never could." and "If you gonna stir sh_t, be ready to wipe your boots!"
    She was a wise, albeit cold-hearted, woman!
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Being the youngest, sometimes my decision for my life and what my Dad would want were not always in line so my Mom said "live your own life for yourself"

Another thing I picked up from one of my many on the job mom's over the years was "sometimes the best lesson is a bought lesson" Sooooo true!
  • Happy2Shop21
    Options
    “Never point your finger in judgment, because there’re always three more pointing back at you.”
    –My Mom.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    "I want you to move out."(on my 18th birthday) Best thing that could've ever happened to me.
    Mine said she wanted me out of her life. Best day ever.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    "We'll see..." It always meant yes, so I loved to hear it! :laugh:

Lucky. We'll see always meant NO in my house.

My mom always says "If you dont' have anything nice to say you should say it anyway,. as long as you can back it up. If someone's offended by it they should get a thicker skin." :D She raised us to speak our minds no matter what, I'm not saying be bigotted or racist, that's just common sense not to be. She wasn't having us out there making people cry, I understand that she more wanted to make sure that we weren't sugar coating it for everyone else, because in the real world no one was going to sugar coat it for us . She also liked to say that if I couldn't think of a way to tell people something, explain a feeling or a place, then I was failing myself. She taught me that the right words in teh right situations were ALWAYS going to be important.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    "We'll see..." It always meant yes, so I loved to hear it! :laugh:

Lucky. We'll see always meant NO in my house.

Yeah, it always meant "no" in my house too.
  • ViDexSha
    ViDexSha Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "Don't marry the first guy you sleep with, play the field...see whats out there" .... :)
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    "you can buy those pants but you are not wearing them out of the house" - said to me when I was a teenager trying to buy too tight jeans - wasn't a weight issue as I was thin, just a if you have to lay down to zip them up they are too small! LOL
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    "you can buy those pants but you are not wearing them out of the house" - said to me when I was a teenager trying to buy too tight jeans - wasn't a weight issue as I was thin, just a if you have to lay down to zip them up they are too small! LOL

Ahhh yes, fond memories. Chic jeans and a pair of vise grips!
    It was the late 70's.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    "You can love a rich man as well as you can love a poor man"...silly me...I thought she meant rich in personality :laugh:

"An old man's princess and a young man's slave"...yep she was right about that...now I have a man that treats me like I am a GODDESS! (He's only 3.5 yrs older than be but still he's older :smile:)
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If wishes were horses beggars would ride...
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    "You can't....."
    These words always motivated me. I had to prove she was wrong and that basically, I could achieve ANYTHING that I wanted, as long as I was willing to work hard. And so, I achieved all my educational and career goals and married the right man to boot. Thank God nothing was ever handed to me.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"

oh i LOVE this one!
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Momma, being from Texas, didn't play around! She didn't need to raise her voice but whisper and give me 'the look' ...

"I brought you into this world and I can take you out!"

She kept my wild-child @r$e in check and probably saved my life :laugh:
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    "Pretty is as pretty does". This was WAY before Forest Gump came out.
  • 8arbiee
    8arbiee Posts: 2
    Options
    Get lost! =D
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My mom had a bunch--

"They're just jelly of you!"

"Always make a tinkle before you go."

"If your neck's warm, you're warm." (wear a scarf)

"Get your first one over quick [marriage] -- don't wait around 20 years like I did!"

"You can love a rich man just as easily as a poor man."

"For every pot there's a lid."
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    "If you forget what you were saying, it was probably bull****." - My Grams

"You wanna kill each other, kill each other! Just don't get any blood on the carpet." - An Aunt

"M.O.M does not stand for Made Of Money." - My Mom

:laugh: