Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Wednesday & Thursday bentos!
    6p5plxqjsfme.jpg
    The red bento is for Wednesday (338Cals). Cumin rice mixed with matcha salt & an umeboshi, salt & pepper fish bites and a salad of tomato, carrot and cucumber.
    The blue bento is for Thursday (391Cals). Cumin rice with matcha salt & an umeboshi, salt and pepper fish bites, and the same veg mix from my Monday bento.

There are some rice cakes with laughing cow ready to me spread with Vegemite for afternoon tea just outside the picture that come to 136Cal for each afternoon.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Awww, I've missed this thread!! I shall not tell a lie, I haven't been contributing since I've been taking pre-made stuff to work with me lately but getting back into bringing my own homemade stuff again here shortly because it's just too expensive otherwise. So hopefully pics from me coming soon! @mangrothian, if I don't post any food pics by the end of next week, get on my case! :sweat_smile:
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Awww, I've missed this thread!! I shall not tell a lie, I haven't been contributing since I've been taking pre-made stuff to work with me lately but getting back into bringing my own homemade stuff again here shortly because it's just too expensive otherwise. So hopefully pics from me coming soon! @mangrothian, if I don't post any food pics by the end of next week, get on my case! :sweat_smile:

haha, I'll make sure I put on my best stern face...
    8xovxeyd2uxa.jpg
    ....wait, that's not right...
  • ivygirl1937
    Options

haha, I'll make sure I put on my best stern face...
    8xovxeyd2uxa.jpg
    ....wait, that's not right...

It's a good thing I'm alone at work right now because I just laughed like a crazy person for about 10 minutes. :lol: *wipes away tears* Ah, man, I needed that laugh today. Thanks! :smiley:
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    I'm sorry @mangrothian , I'm sorry! I have one today! (I don't know how I missed your tag though, strange)

I forgot the rest of the week to take a picture but I did take one today! It's not pretty, it got smashed down, but whatever:
    3snehbx916vj.jpg

Breakfast - Turkey sausage and egg biscuit. Not actually in the bento box but it came with me. Two eggs "deviled" (I made a lower calorie version), and sour cream in the top tier. The sour cream was to go on top of the food in the bottom tier which was Mexican Sweet Potato and Chicken casserole. Yum yum yummy!
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    For my penance, I'll post some old ones that I may or may not have posted before:

clxpxbwuk7gq.jpg

This one is yogurt with strawberries and cinnamon and I believe grilled chicken taco salad, although you can't really see the chicken. :lol:
  • ivygirl1937
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jwkj3rbhijdh.jpg

This one has grapes, laughing cow cheese, yogurt, crab, crackers, and shrimp ramen (the cheap kind, not the good kind). Oh! And almond pocky-type candy. Very important. :lol:
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    a01d2n6gd50a.jpg

And this one has chicken, mixed veggies, cheap ramen, a couple of nectarines, and a weight loss shake thingy. That also is my favorite bento box that I have. :blush:

Is that sufficient penance, @mangrothian? I can't find any more at the moment but I bet I can if I look some more.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @sleepigrl Heehee, the red box in my most recent pictures is the same as yours ^_^ That looks delish btw.

@ivygirl1937 bout time :p . Kyouko is satisfied

z4qy01gph0r9.gif
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    @sleepigrl Heehee, the red box in my most recent pictures is the same as yours ^_^ That looks delish btw.

z4qy01gph0r9.gif

:lol: That gif is so adorable!!

I'll be honest, I've been bringing a bento box every day but I haven't been taking pictures because my bentos are not pretty. Due to budget constraints (hubby got laid off and had to take a lower paying job), we've been using canned and frozen veggies and very little fruit lately so my boxes have been very sad looking so I don't want to post them. I have been making/taking them though!
  • mangrothian
    edited February 2017
    Options

z4qy01gph0r9.gif

:lol: That gif is so adorable!!

I'll be honest, I've been bringing a bento box every day but I haven't been taking pictures because my bentos are not pretty. Due to budget constraints (hubby got laid off and had to take a lower paying job), we've been using canned and frozen veggies and very little fruit lately so my boxes have been very sad looking so I don't want to post them. I have been making/taking them though!
    I do that all the time. Still doesn't mean you shouldn't take a picture. If you don't like the look of them on their own, mix them with some eggs and a pinch of salt and turn them into a frittata that'll last a couple of days.

Hiking bento - I'm going on an 18km hike tomorrow with a 1000m ascent, so need to fuel
    z84h8w2p5u2l.jpg
    The bento has umeboshi (pickled plum) filled onigiri, beef bulgogi meatballs, boiled eggs, tomatoes, sugarplums and a small amount of trail mix.

This box has about 1000Cals of food in it, so it's definitely not something I'd pack very often.
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    @mangrothian That looks delicious!! Have fun and good luck today! Yours always look so pretty, I always assume it's all fresh and lovely, I'd never know it was frozen or canned from your pictures. Maybe I just need bento-packing classes on how to make things pretty. :lol:
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @mangrothian That looks delicious!! Have fun and good luck today! Yours always look so pretty, I always assume it's all fresh and lovely, I'd never know it was frozen or canned from your pictures. Maybe I just need bento-packing classes on how to make things pretty. :lol:

The majority of meat I use has been pre-prepared and frozen, then taken out when needed. Same with the rice; it gets frozen into 150g packets and I take one out as needed.

As to frozen veg, I use it about 20% of the time. Usually when I'm too lazy or the fridge is looking a bit mother Hubbard.

Monday bento is lazy bento:
    y5vmo0d6p5pl.jpg
    Everything except the furikake in the rice and the umeboshi was from frozen. Hell, I didn't even defrost the meatballs; they're still frozen in the picture. They'll have defrosted by the time I eat my lunch the next day.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    2vmee0o.jpg

My lunch for tomorrow. Small snack box is a Greek salad (little container is italian dressing) and carrots. Big container is homemade bean nuggets, edamame, sweet mini peppers, celery, and freeze dried strawberries (they're actually pretty good). Total for the 2 containers comes out to be 337 calories.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Finally started packing bentos again, and I keep forgetting to post the pictures! So here's 3 at once:
    rzjzqevx3g30.jpg
    pasta with turkey meatballs, and a side salad

5x01awohab9r.jpg
    roast beast, rice, and roasted veggies, with a side salad

b3bzdk5jwvhf.jpg
    roast beast, rice pilaf, and veggies, with chopped apple and peach
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Now I'm curious to know what type of beast you roasted! :)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Now I'm curious to know what type of beast you roasted! :)

The sarcastic side of me just thought 'hopefully a dead one'.

I haven't actually been making my bentos that often recently. Some budget constraints mean that batch cooking my lunches for the week has been the norm this year. My slow cooker loves the attention.