Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    What things do you do to ramp up your bento look if it's going to be frozen then put into the microwave? I use silicone lines, but after so many months that really doesn't do it for me. :smiley:
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Hey guys! I stumbled upon this thread last week while I was bored at work, and binge read the entire thing in one afternoon! Since then, I've daydreamt of nothing but bento and nice, compartmentalized food :heart:

Welcome!! Your bento looks beautiful and delicious!! :smiley: I love that pink and white box, I may have to look out for one similar (like I don't already have more than I need).
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    roast beast, rice, and roasted veggies, with a side salad

Now I'm curious to know what type of beast you roasted! :)

I thought this too!! :lol:
  • cside691
    cside691 Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So having purchasing my bento box months ago and being afraid to use it (I have this weird obsession where I buy beautiful things and then won't use them as I don't want to spoil them!) I have packed one today
    Eastern bean and ham salad with herb dressing
    Satsuma, meringue and natural yogurt - 331 calories

q7c3ao1wt865.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    What things do you do to ramp up your bento look if it's going to be frozen then put into the microwave? I use silicone lines, but after so many months that really doesn't do it for me. :smiley:

I find that a hard one to answer considering I hardly ever use any sort of silicone liner in my bentos unless I have something soupy; at most I use a sauce pot.

I can't remember if you use any of the fancy vegetable cutters or not, but having the pretty come from the food rather than the liners could help. Also using food that keeps it's colour when frozen a reheated helps; carrot, broccoli, pumpkin, corn, mini golden squash, asparagus and cauliflower all freeze and reheat well.

If you're having rice, something as simple as cutting a nori sheet into some sort of fancy shape could do the trick as well.
    cside691 wrote: »
    So having purchasing my bento box months ago and being afraid to use it (I have this weird obsession where I buy beautiful things and then won't use them as I don't want to spoil them!) I have packed one today
    Eastern bean and ham salad with herb dressing
    Satsuma, meringue and natural yogurt - 331 calories

Lol I'm the opposite of you. If I buy something pretty I make sure I use it because otherwise I feel like it's going to waste. It must be shared with the world!

The salad looks delish btw ;)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Hey guys! I stumbled upon this thread last week while I was bored at work, and binge read the entire thing in one afternoon! Since then, I've daydreamt of nothing but bento and nice, compartmentalized food :heart:

I purchased some supplies over the weekend, and made my first bento today! Very surprised by how much more compact my lunch/snack is than usual, this is going to save me a ton of backpack space! Thank you all for inspiring me :)
    Pink box (lunch) has: 

Steamed peas and carrots

Mixed berries

White rice loaded with nori komi furikake (it came out too fast!!)

Steamed broccoli

Meatless chicken strips cooked with teriyaki sauce

Bunny cup has extra teriyaki sauce

Kimchi (lol I know, everything else in that tray is Japanese but I just love kimchi!)
    = 475 calories

Red box (snack) has:

Homemade applesauce

Baby heirloom tomatoes 

Bell pepper strips

Almonds
    = 226 calories

Don't worry about too much furikake. In Japan there's actually a type of bento called a 'nori-ben', where the rice is completely covered in nori (the seaweed used in furikake) on purpose. Some of the furikake flavours I could easily eat with a spoon, so I have to ration myself when mixing it through my rice.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Today’s lunch and snack bentos turned out pretty good! I tried out the tiny fruit/veggie shape cutter things and was pleased with the results, especially the flower-shaped cucumbers :3

1syxp95f8p25.jpg

Pink bento (lunch) has:
    Sliced strawberries
    Kimchi topped with cucumber flowers
    Sliced peaches
    White rice with furikake
    Boca chicken patty cut into hearts
    Steamed broccoli
    Steamed edamame
    Bunny container has sesame oil
    = 478 calories

Red bento (snack) has:
    Homemade applesauce
    Baby heirloom tomatoes
    Bell pepper strips
    Cracked pepper triscuits
    Baby bell cheese (not pictured)
    = 303 calories

Thanks @ivygirl1937 for the welcome!
    @cside691 - I have a monbento too! It's almost too pretty to use :3 is yours the vanilla colored one or white?
    @mangrothian - glad to hear there is no such thing as too much! The main reason I was concerned is that I didn't try the furikake before I put it on my rice lol (which was kind of dumb...). I definitely like it though, really yummy! Was surprised that it was kind of sweet, I also didn't read the ingredients list...
  • cside691
    cside691 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni it is the vanilla and white one - love it but I don't have patience or time to make my food look fancy
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni - love your bento boxes
    Where did you get your veggie cutters?
    I saw some online on Amazon but would like to pick some up this weekend.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @cside691 - ooh I loved that vanilla color so much! It would look so dreamy with the mint or peach ones they have :blush: Maybe one day I'll buy a custom one in those colors

@agbmom556 -thank you! I bought them on Amazon too, they were a prime add on item for like $4 I think. Can't beat two day shipping! I'm hoping to find a good shop I can go to though because that's way more fun! And instant gratification lol
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    Today’s lunch! No snack packed because I’m leaving work early this afternoon and will be able to have a snack at home before I head to the airport. Going to visit my family in FL for spring break!!!

Lunch:

- White rice with furikake

- Steamed broccoli

- Chicken-less strips (beyond meat) cooked in teriyaki sauce

- Mixed berries

- Kimchi
    - Bonus: cute otter and dolphin picks!
    = 425 calories

I got two new boxes in the mail last night that I can’t wait to try out! Plus two more coming in the next few days lol, I may have a problem… They are just too pretty/cute and I have no self-control apparently. Sadly will have to wait to try them out until next week when I get back :disappointed:

Love it!! None of us have self control when it comes to bento-ing, it's a sickness. A really awesome, adorable sickness. Remember @mangrothian's picture of all her boxes?? :lol: I'm not there yet but I'm getting there.

I need to go shop for more bento stuff now. I'm feeling the fever again. :lol:
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Wow! Love all those colorful, cute boxes... :)
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    For those who wanted the R2D2 Bento, seems that it dropped a little in price on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-R2-D2-Bento-Box/dp/B015AT2B98/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1489609887&sr=8-22&keywords=bento+box

Don't know if that helps and I'm sorry I don't remember who liked it!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @ivygirl1937 you know what? I have waaaaay more than that now. I might need to take another picture. Then again, I've also cracked a few and thrown them out.
  • ivygirl1937
    Options
    @ivygirl1937 you know what? I have waaaaay more than that now. I might need to take another picture. Then again, I've also cracked a few and thrown them out.

Yes! Another picture is required now!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I'll second that. It's a different collection now so obviously we need to see the new ones! :wink:
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Yes! Another picture is required now!
    I second this~(*^^*)