Yummy alternatives to chips?

Options

Replies

• daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I will usually splurge on the chips and make up for it at the gym. However, today I just tried these zucchini things (http://snapzcrisps.elsstore.com/) and they were soooo good. I didn't expect it at all. I also love Good Health's veggie sticks (personally I think a lot of other brands are gross >.<) The Special K BBQ crisp things are pretty tasty too.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Air Popped Popcorn and Cheerios usually do the trick for me. I've often found that I just want the crunch factor when it comes to these foods.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds or hummus.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like Quest protein chips, but you'd have to try them, a lot of people don't.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    kale chips
    banana chips
    air popped popcorn
    plentils
    roasted seaweed
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Baked chips and baked fries
  • msemarieh
    Options
    try apple chips! you can buy them at whole foods or order them online and they are super low in calories, I am addicted to chips and pretzels as well, and also you can try chips made with avocado oil, I forgot the specific brand I use, but it is high in good fats,s o if you must have a tasty chip that is a good way to go, they have good flavors as well!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    not sure if anyone posted this yet, but I really like roasted chickpeas. Also, you could bake your own chips or other veggies. I love roasted root vegetables.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I make rutabage fries that are pretty nummy. Cut half a rutabaga into fry shapes, spray with Pam, sprinkle with sea salt, cumin, curry, whatever spices catch my fancy. It's a touch sweeter than a regular potato, but with a similar bland-ish taste. Also 70 cals for 1/2 a rutabaga vs. 150-200 cals for a similar amount of potato.

This might be really stupid, but what's a rutabaga?!

Is it like a British/US thing, like courgettes/zucchinis?

• reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Pork Rinds are actually soooo good (I know it seems weird but just try it).
    Skinny Pop (Popcorn, but it comes proportioned which I find a big help to avoid over eating and tracking how much I am eating)
    I also like snap pea crisps, hippie chips (their sooo delicious)
    I've also tried sea snax which were pretty tasty (their puffed rice and seaweed I believe) which I liked
    I also have had hummus chips which were okay but really salty. I don't like super salty snacks (hence why I only sometimes get the pork rinds)
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Turtle-PIe-RE.jpg
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    quest protein chips from GNC
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Rutabaga; Swiss, and one of the earliest manmade hybrids. If the Swiss engineered it, it's got to be good.

rutabaga.jpg
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge salt person (sweets for me), but when I am craving salt I like Pop Chips & the Special K chips are also really tasty.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love chips, so I eat them. I don't eat a whole big bag or anything, and I don't eat them every day. But I'm not going to go the rest of my life not eating them. I just work them into my day when I want them. None of the suggestions above would substitute for a good ol' chip, in my opinion. I think chips with hummus is a good snack.
  • txteachermom
    txteachermom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Pop chips are great and I've found that I enjoy apple chips.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I like the Veggie Straws. And pretzels.

I also have a popcorn maker that you don't have to use any oil. I just sprinkle it with Old Bay seasoning or something spicy like that.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Like the OP, I <3 both potato chips and French fries. I have found that nothing can substitute either. :D Therefore, I enjoy them both in moderation. I will say, however, I'm currently unable to have just one serving of Better Made Barbeque chips (my absolute favorite), which is why I don't bother eating them anymore. :(

As soon as I saw you mention Better Made BBQ Chips I knew you had to be from MI haha. Those are SOOOOO good!
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Quest Chips FTW, fiber/protein etc...

Cheetos XXTra flamin hots. Gluten Free and hella bomb. Nutritious, yeah that wasnt the question... I make them fit and it works for me. :)
    3.49 bag, 9 servings. Sodium spike..vascularity goes up and then sweet sweet enjoyment with Chester Cheetah!

Enjoy everyone, thanks for all the hints tips. I like the idea of baking my own tortilla chips.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love rice cakes. My favorite is the white cheddar. My boyfriend who eats so unhealthy loves them as well. He keeps eating them all. He can sit down with a bag of chips and eat the whole thing until I brought these home.