Issues with running outside vs. running on treadmill

Options
So does anyone else have this issue?

I can run on the treadmill and run for a couple miles with no serious issue. However, if I run outside (no weather relation, not too cold or hot or anything) but after like 5 minutes I can barley run anymore. I am out of breath and my chest hurts from trying to catch my breath. I don't run over crazy hills or anything. Where I run is a flat road. Anyone know why this may happen?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You're starting out too fast.
    I used to have this problem as well.
    Slow down.

Also, when you run on the TM, have it set to 0,5-1% incline to better imitate outside since the outside isn't really flat.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Treadmills create momentum. When you run outside you don't have that extra momentum. A way to help balance that is to increase the incline on the treadmill to mimic outside. Usually 1.0 is recommended at a minimum.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I think it's due to a much faster pace when I'm out on my own. The treadmill keeps me consistent and on pace, but I go too fast outside. Somehow I'm not able to keep on pace on my own.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. The problem with treadmills are that you tend to just lift your feet because the ground is moving. Running outside you have to use more muscles to propel yourself forward. In the end a run is better than not running but running outside is harder and better for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Because treadmills offer an "assist" that you don't get when running outdoors...you have to work harder when running outdoors.
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above; you're likely running too fast outside or at least starting that way. I notice the same thing myself.

When I'm on a treadmill I usually set it about 5.5 for an 11:00 minute mile. When I'm outside I frequently look at my GPS watch and see I'm in the 9:45 to 10:30 range.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    I have the same problem, and I think it's due to a much faster pace when I'm out on my own. The treadmill keeps me consistent and on pace, but I go too fast outside. Somehow I'm not able to keep on pace on my own.

Right, you may be running faster outside (unintentionally) then you do on the treadmill. Use MapMyRun or another app to keep pace. Ex: If you have the treadmill set to 5.0 (speed) then you should be running 12 minute miles outside. The app will tell you so you can adjust.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You definitely started out too fast. I used to struggle with that too. I'd start at what I felt was a reasonably easy pace but then 5 minutes later I'd be huffing and puffing and ready to throw in the towel and go home. I really enjoy running outside, so I got a running watch (there are some pretty inexpensive ones if you only want to track pace and time). That helped not only with my pace but it also motivated me to do better and faster since I had the exact numbers to go by. Good luck!
  • MeowMix66
    MeowMix66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding a relatively short track to start running on. One that is about 10 laps per mile. Alternate running a lap and walking a lap for about a week. Then change it up, repeating running two, walk one. And just keep increasing every week. It worked for me really well and prevented me from getting shin splints.
  • xtiansalcedo
    xtiansalcedo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Could be a couple of things. Unless you're running on a track, the ground outside is going to be tougher going than a belt moving under your feet. When running outside, it seems the energy expenditure is greater because you are propelling yourself forward rather than running in place with the belt moving under you.

Most folks say to set the treadmill on a 1% incline to make up the differences in energy expenditure required.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »

As inaccurate as they are, you can use a running app on your phone to track your pace and force yourself to slow down.

Or if you want to be more accurate, and costly, a GPS watch
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    When running on a treadmill, you still have less resistance on your legs (you basically are just picking them up and putting them down, the belt is doing all the 'forward' movement) where outside you have to push off and propel yourself. A little bit more, different muscles involved. A little incline will compensate for this.

Also, like the previous poster said- slow down! Run at a comfortable pace where you could hold a conversation- speed will come with adaptation!

Happy Running!
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Normally I run on the track at the high school near my house (open to the public after school hours) but it was killing me and I was reaching for my inhaler after like 5 minutes of running. Since it is getting VERY cold here I will be using the treadmill and will try the incline suggestion to see if that makes running outside (when it warms up) a bit easier. You guys rock!
  • douglas49461
    douglas49461 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, running on the treadmill is harder for me and I feel it more in my lower legs. I think my stride is off when I am on treadmill and even though I am running slower than I do outside it works the muscles differently.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, running on the treadmill is harder for me and I feel it more in my lower legs. I think my stride is off when I am on treadmill and even though I am running slower than I do outside it works the muscles differently.

I was wondering if I was the only one. Maybe I am setting the treadmill to go faster than I am running outside, but I find it harder to run on the treadmill.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    MeowMix66 wrote: »
    I suggest finding a relatively short track to start running on. One that is about 10 laps per mile. Alternate running a lap and walking a lap for about a week. Then change it up, repeating running two, walk one. And just keep increasing every week. It worked for me really well and prevented me from getting shin splints.

That sounds nearly as boring as running on a dreadmill.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're probably going way too fast on the road.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    MeowMix66 wrote: »

That sounds nearly as boring as running on a dreadmill.

I think it's worse than the dreadmill. Because if you don't have a Garmin or an app to track it, it'd be very easy to lose count.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think you should ditch the TM.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

I was wondering if I was the only one. Maybe I am setting the treadmill to go faster than I am running outside, but I find it harder to run on the treadmill.

I honestly find that I run slower on a treadmill then I do outside. I also find it a lot more boring and harder to stay focused and run more than a couple miles at a time on one.

OP: Temperature outside will also affect your lungs. If its been colder, that can make it harder as well and vise versa for it being warm/humid. I try to throw in interval training on the treadmill with different inclines to help me for when I get back on the road.