Issues with running outside vs. running on treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with setting the treadmill to 1% incline to mimic the effort of the same pace outside. Once you've done that a few times, try to tune in on the effort required and hold yourself to the same perceived level of exertion as you run outside (running on a track a few times and calculating the 100 meter splits you will hit at your desired pace would be a more exact way to judge pace).

Also, you might invest in a heart rate monitor, which will tell you exactly how hard you are working, inside or out.

In my experience, 1% incline at the same pace evens the effort. I did my second long runs and tempo work all on treadmills for my marathon years back - and had no difference in pace or effort between inside and out.
  • lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    I have the opposite problem, running on the treadmill is harder for me and I feel it more in my lower legs. I think my stride is off when I am on treadmill and even though I am running slower than I do outside it works the muscles differently.

I was wondering if I was the only one. Maybe I am setting the treadmill to go faster than I am running outside, but I find it harder to run on the treadmill.

same! i can run for way longer outside than the treadmill, and i get pain on the outside of my feet on the treadmill but don't get that outside wearing the same shoes. I'd take an outdoor run over the treadmill any day :)
  • Hannafordsean
    Options
    Two completely different biomechanical adaptations take place when comparing outside running to treadmill or inside.
    If the treadmill is harder:
    When outside as everyone said it's easier to slow pace and compensate, on a treadmill, you fall right of the back of that. Furthermore, you always need some sort of incline (1.0 as previously stated at least) otherwise you will develop a thing called medial tibial stress syndrome, otherwise commonly known as shin splints. Which is actually microfractures (ouch) shortening your stride and keeping a sound counting method is the best combat for this. Get use to counting in rhythm while running either outside or on a treadmill and you will develop the same pace regardless of the environment.

If outside is your Achilles Heel (Puns!):
    Besides everything mentioned above here's a reason you might not know why it's harder;
    Regulation of temperature, meters gained (how high or low relative to sea level you run) and even time of day all effect oxygen saturation in the air. Usually gyms are air conditioned and have a fixed oxygen saturation higher then that of outside is. Also temperature should be regulated near 22 degrees Celsius or there abouts, ensuring optimum vascodialation and constriction for oxygen delivery.
    There are many many more effects taking play, such as; Time of day, type of shoes, weight of shoes, clothing worn, humidity, noise, ground texture, etc. The best way to combat all of this - do it more!!
  • hobbitabroad
    hobbitabroad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem (even asked about it here!). I was starting out way too fast, and still do sometimes. Try running at a pace where you could easily maintain a conversation without panting, and see if that helps.

Also give yourself credit for elements - I live in a hot / humid climate and running in the sun takes it straight out of me.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    The BroScience here is apalling.

Physics much, people?
  • pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the posters who have said they have the opposite problem! I find that when I run on a treadmill it's way more difficult! I can never run as fast or as long when on a treadmill! I'm not much help to you OP but wanted to add my 2 cents ;)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I think the treadmill is a lot "softer" as well. Easier on the knees. You can work up to it. My treadmill time was always a lot faster than my outdoor time was as well… but as working with the incline (I go up to 2% incline) has helped even that out quite a bit. There are benefits both ways (treadmill vs. outdoor). If I could control the temperature and environmental aspects (wind, sun, rain, traffic, daylight, etc)… I'd probably prefer the outdoors… but since I can't and I'm such a weather snob… I enjoy the treadmill as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    pimpin_po wrote: »
    Totally agree with the posters who have said they have the opposite problem! I find that when I run on a treadmill it's way more difficult!

Likewise, but for me that's predominantly psychological. A treadmill is so boring I struggle after a few minutes. So I'll run outside in foul weather by preference.

All kinds of respect for those that can cope with the tedium for more than five minutes.
  • richjones1968
    Options
    Do you warm up in the gym before hitting the treadmill? - this gets your muscles warmed up, heart rate increased and steady, adrenalin etc. raised. When I run outside it takes me at least a mile to get going and I often take this mile easy and discount it from my target distance.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Normally I run on the track at the high school near my house (open to the public after school hours) but it was killing me and I was reaching for my inhaler after like 5 minutes of running. Since it is getting VERY cold here I will be using the treadmill and will try the incline suggestion to see if that makes running outside (when it warms up) a bit easier. You guys rock!

Changing up your workout routines on the treadmill will also help. Add some hills a couple times a month (for example, alternate five minutes at 3% with five minutes at 1%), and add some speed work a few times (for example, quarter miles or half miles alternating with slower intervals).

• yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Normally I run on the track at the high school near my house (open to the public after school hours) but it was killing me and I was reaching for my inhaler after like 5 minutes of running. Since it is getting VERY cold here I will be using the treadmill and will try the incline suggestion to see if that makes running outside (when it warms up) a bit easier. You guys rock!

Changing up your workout routines on the treadmill will also help. Add some hills a couple times a month (for example, alternate five minutes at 3% with five minutes at 1%), and add some speed work a few times (for example, quarter miles or half miles alternating with slower intervals).

Well the treadmills at my gym have that setting where you can choose a "destination" to run in and the treadmill incline changes up with the terrain on the screen. It's pretty cool. Guess I can give it a try next time I go!