Whole30 and hating it

Options
I just started 8 days ago. I was eating way too much junk between the holidays and decided to try whole30 because my co-worker had great luck with it.
I feel like I failure for wanting to throw in the towel.
But, I am STARVING and have no energy to work out now. I did lose 2.2 pounds in 5 days (yay), but what will happen when I actually eat a piece of cheese or bread or yogurt?
Is this really realistic? I even switched to cashew milk in my coffee and finally yesterday I said screw it.
I am just not sure this is for me. I am thinking moderation is better approach. Thoughts?

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Stop doing it.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Stop doing it.

Yup.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Stop doing it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Moderation!!! making yourself miserable is never going to work.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    moderation is best, that way you can eat all the good foods and still lose weight.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is you chose to do, it has to be something you are willing to commit to for the long-term...in order to achieve lasting results. This is why for me it's about moderation, and for a lot of others as well. :)
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    Eggs every day for breakfast and sweet potatoes to make me never want one again
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I agree, stop doing it, go with logging and moderation, something that you can live with indefinitely.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What are the rules for this one? Is it a paleo thing?

But yeah, stop it if you don't like it.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think just moderation. I lost 90 lbs from Sept 2013-Nov 2014. I did it through measuring out my food and tracking my calories oh and lots of exercise. I had a built in cheat meal (after 25lbs down) but found that I didn't really use it because my body was so used to the other foods I was eating. To me, something like that is much easier to carry over a lift time.

Good luck!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've been losing steadily for over a year now. This is after yo-yoing for 15 odd years, joining WW 13 times, doing shake diets, Atkins, CSIRO, whole foods... the thing that's kept me on track this time is the miracle that is moderation. Most of my food is unprocessed and home cooked, but that's how I like it. But the ice cream I have most nights, the cookie I'll take when offered, the glass of wine or candy bar I'll make fit because I want it, or the pizza we order because I CBF is what's kept me sane and kept me on track this time. No diets, just habit changes!
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    So glad I asked!!! I was super frustrated and HUNGRY!!!
  • BBruhn
    BBruhn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did Whole30 and stuck to it. The idea behind it of figuring out your food sensitivities is good - I learned that I have no problem with gluten or wheat and I don't do well with a bunch of eggs in my diet. But I quickly gained back the weight I lost when I was done.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Another fad diet that vilifies certain foods with little scientific validity. In fact, the requirement to cut out whole grains is flat out wrong! You need whole grains and the fiber in them to keep you healthy. Check out Harvard's NutritionSource and the Healthy Eating Plate for better, science-based, non-commercial diet advice.

Moderation is ABSOLUTELY the best approach. Determine the number of calories that is right for you and then eat healthy.

Throwing in the towel on a silly fad diet just shows you are the smart one!!
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    That's what worries me BBruhn. I will gain it all back. Life is too short too cut out everything! Its my daughters b-day this weekend and I might want cake! I also used Hellmans mayo today (1 tbsp.) instead of making my own (terrible right??). I think some of it borders on ridiculous
  • mezeade
    mezeade Posts: 19
    Options
    I did a whole30 last year at the start of going Paleo and lost 5kgs (11lbs) in that time. I stayed paleo (but less strict) and slowly dropped another 2.5kgs which brought me to my goal. It is very restrictive and you get sick of eating, basically, so calories are very low which probably explains the weight loss. I used to log to get the macros and most days was eating 800-900 calories. There is only so much egg and meat you can stomach!! Needless to say when I started eating normally the weight piled back on and here I am again!
  • mezeade
    mezeade Posts: 19
    Options
    Also to add, I actually love meat and eggs and even I got sick of them!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    pandora721 wrote: »
    Whatever it is you chose to do, it has to be something you are willing to commit to for the long-term...in order to achieve lasting results. This is why for me it's about moderation, and for a lot of others as well. :)

^ this.

As long as you eat at a calorie deficit, you will lose. Add in workouts, and you will lose and get stronger and more fit. Eat veggies, whole grains, nonfat dairy and lean protein 90% of the time and whatevertheheck you want the other 10%, while mostly staying at a deficit and exercising, and you will lose weight, get fit and strong, and be healthy as heck with low blood sugar and good cholesterol!!

You really don't have to suffer. Specific diets are for people who are comfortable with them. The rest of us use moderation.
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I did Whole30 in October in conjunction with 5:2 and 8:16 (figured if 1 worked, why not try all 3!!!). Lost 18 lbs, and have only gained 3 back. %:2 helped, because I knewI was going to starve 2 days a week!! Getting ready to do the Daniel Plan-similar but DP permits legumes and non gluten food, e.g. rice.

You are right about one thing...Whole30 sucks if you do any kind of cardio...simply not enough to sustain you. I did a 70 mile bike ride and 5K in the middle of this, and performance was awful. I could have walked faster than I ran! One thing I did that helped, is that I ate a lot of potatoes. Whole30 was changed (but you won't see it in the book) and allows for potatoes. If nothing else it fills you up.

hope this helps
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why do people do or avoid certain random things when all one needs to lose weight is to eat less and/or move more?