Whole30 and hating it

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I tried the Whole 30 because I had a bunch of friends who were doing it and, well, peer pressure. Especially since I tend to eat pretty close to that diet anyway (when I'm behaving).

First of all, the challenge aspect of it (not sure if you are doing the challenge?) triggered me something fierce. I had to quit in order to avoid destructive behaviors (this is just me, not blaming the diet).

But, I also couldn't make sense of it. I don't have any lactose issues and, really, what is wrong with peanut butter? I needed to "cheat" to have Greek yogurt. How stupid is that?

To each his/her own, but I prefer IIFYM. And, the funny thing is, the day after I quit the urge to binge on carbs left me. I think by telling myself I can't have things, I start to obsess about wanting to have them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I tried the Whole 30 because I had a bunch of friends who were doing it and, well, peer pressure. Especially since I tend to eat pretty close to that diet anyway (when I'm behaving).

First of all, the challenge aspect of it (not sure if you are doing the challenge?) triggered me something fierce. I had to quit in order to avoid destructive behaviors (this is just me, not blaming the diet).

But, I also couldn't make sense of it. I don't have any lactose issues and, really, what is wrong with peanut butter? I needed to "cheat" to have Greek yogurt. How stupid is that?

To each his/her own, but I prefer IIFYM. And, the funny thing is, the day after I quit the urge to binge on carbs left me. I think by telling myself I can't have things, I start to obsess about wanting to have them.

I assume peanut butter is eliminated because peanuts (which are legumes) are inflammatory for some folks and often cause issues for people. Because the point of the whole30 is "healing" and figuring out what causes you issues, the whole30 has eaters eliminate the "usual suspects".
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

I assume peanut butter is eliminated because peanuts (which are legumes) are inflammatory for some folks and often cause issues for people. Because the point of the whole30 is "healing" and figuring out what causes you issues, the whole30 has eaters eliminate the "usual suspects".

Well, to that point, that's why it's a silly diet for people who are just using it as a means to lose weight. But, I agree, it does have value as an elimination diet for those who are dealing with medical issue that have yet to be defined.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you read the book, or the website, it states that it is not meant as a weight loss diet. Weight loss is just usually a happy side effect.
    When I did it, i only ost 2lbs the whole month, but had more energy and less headaches than normal. The hubby lost 35lbs (Crazy!) and his back pain went away. But he will not live without ice cream and diet coke, so after the month was up he went back to eating the old way.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think the most important part of doing a Whole 30 is reading the book- so much of how we think and feel about foods factors in to how we eat and what our triggers are. Too often, weight gain is psychological. The idea of Whole30 is, for 30 days, to eat REAL food- unprocessed, unrefined and to try to "reset" your mind and your digestive system. While for some people, legumes and dairy are non-issues, they can be for others. Avoiding mental and physical trigger foods for 30 days isn't meant to be sustainable. I always believed in IIFYM, however, between my thyroid problems and arthritis in my knee, I discovered on whole30 that gluten IS a trigger for inflammation for me, as well as uncultured dairy. My diet is mostly paleo now. It is meant to address what we consider "food", how our brains react to certain foods and what processed foods do to our bodies. It is NOT meant long term, but I have done it a few times now and always find it really helps my energy levels and well as that bloaty feeling that never seems to go away when I eat anything processed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    so you mean you restricted a bunch of food that you viewed as "junk" and now are starving? shocking...

here is my two cents..

One food is not bad/good/junk/healthy/whatever; food is just something that your body uses for energy. So ditch the bad mindset and realize that you can eat what you want and hit your goals.

if your goal is primarily fat loss (if it is not please correct me) then set MFP for one pound per week loss and eat to that number and eat the foods that you like. So yes, this means you can eat some ice cream, pizza, whatever; just make sure that you hit your calorie goal for the day.

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Eggs every day for breakfast and sweet potatoes to make me never want one again

I should try this approach with brownies. I can't seem to get sick of them and it's a problem.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Dont even know what it is but the sounding miserable gives you a clue. Go and read the success pages and you will find most people just use the MFP way eat a sensible diet at a deficit plus move a bit ti lose weight. Its a lifestyle change not a fad diet. It makes sense and thus easier to follow.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just started 8 days ago. I was eating way too much junk between the holidays and decided to try whole30 because my co-worker had great luck with it.
    I feel like I failure for wanting to throw in the towel.
    But, I am STARVING and have no energy to work out now. I did lose 2.2 pounds in 5 days (yay), but what will happen when I actually eat a piece of cheese or bread or yogurt?
    Is this really realistic? I even switched to cashew milk in my coffee and finally yesterday I said screw it.
    I am just not sure this is for me. I am thinking moderation is better approach. Thoughts?

Stop that with you and your rational intelligent thinking. ;)

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with the others - if you hate it, don't do it. I just started Whole30 but not to lose weight. I am a bread monster and it is out of control and I simply can't do moderation right now. I've done Whole30 before for the same reason, and I find after a few days it certainly gets rid of those cravings. Then when I re-introduce those foods, I'm able to eat it in moderation and I no longer crave them. But seriously, if you hate it and you don't feel as though you're getting anything out of it, then stop doing it!

ETA: I might be completely wrong here, but from what I understand, Whole30 is not meant to be for weight loss. You're actually discouraged from weighing yourself throughout the 30 days. And it's not meant to be sustainable either - it's supposed to help get rid of sugar or other cravings. You're supposed to (I think?) reintroduce those foods at the end of the 30 days, if you want to. Again though, I might be completely off on this...
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what it is, but based on how you feel about it - I say quit. If you can't sustain it forever you're wasting your time. Coffee is only good if you drink it the way you love it. Otherwise what's the point? Meh. Quit it and move on. *cheers*
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Don't do any weight loss program that has a name. Its really that simple. Learn moderation and you will be fine.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to a book that went around several years ago called Eat Right for Your Blood Type. After following that for a while, I realized that the specific things you're supposed to cut from your diet aren't always necessary, though it is good as a starting list for things that might not work for you. My mom found out that corn is something that's been messing her up for years, and I found that gluten actually makes my sinus congestion a bit worse (not enough for me to quit it, but enough that I try to limit it when my sinuses are already bad). I would take any of those kinds of 'diets' with a large scoop of grains of salt, but they can be good for making you focus on what you are eating and where you need to adjust things.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »
    If you read the book, or the website, it states that it is not meant as a weight loss diet. Weight loss is just usually a happy side effect.

This. It's not at tool for weight loss (unless you're going to continue as paleo beyond the 30 days, then it might be considered a type of weight loss program in that instance). If you're doing it for weight loss and the plan doesn't make sense to you and you're miserable, then I agree that you should stop. Moderation is probably best for you and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Do what you're comfortable with. :smile:
  • pope705
    Options
    this link might shed some light on what to expect on the 30 days of your whole30:
    whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Tiger blood, or the boundless energy every raves about, usually happens after 12 days.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Don't do any weight loss program that has a name. Its really that simple. Learn moderation and you will be fine.

But it's not meant as a weight loss program...
  • pope705
    Options
    ^^^this!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    People do it as a weight loss tactic, however, so the advice still applies (not my advice, but I tend to agree).

I see nothing wrong with doing Whole30 as intended to see if you feel better without certain foods, however. Why not? I did something similar when I was playing around with figuring out what would be a good sustainable diet (as in way of eating) for me.

Deciding that you must drop all the foods that Whole30 would have you drop probably is more restrictive than necessary for lots of people, even if they are trying to see if there are changes they can make that will make them feel better, and thus those people probably will be more frustrated by than helped by the plan.

I read the book and thought about doing it since I get into such things (I like a challenge and was curious), but didn't, mainly because I thought the reasoning about potatoes made no sense and because I know I'm not negatively affected by dairy.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mezeade wrote: »
    Also to add, I actually love meat and eggs and even I got sick of them!

eggs without cheese would be terrible. i like fried eggs with cheese.

I also eat yogurt almost every day. I couldn't do this diet. It also doesn't sound worthwhile anyway.

edit: upon reading the thread, looks like it isn't actually a diet for weightloss, so nevermind.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Any diet that leaves you without enough energy to even start exercising sounds like a bad one. Eat in moderation, log EVERYTHING, and move a little more. MFP's formula for success works all on it's own. It may not be an overnight miracle, but it is maintainable!