Yogurt vs Greek Yogurt

Options
What is the difference between regular yogurt and Greek yogurt?

I do not like yogurt. I even tried the whipped stuff thinking it would help, but it didn't. I was told that I might like Greek yogurt. How does it taste different?

Replies

• sykoticstalker27
    Options
    Basically, Greek yogurt has more protein and a thicker consistency than regular yogurt. Taste wise, I find them pretty similar. If you don't like regular yogurt then I doubt you'll like Greek yogurt.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt tastes more luxurious to me. I mix it with my chocolate protein powder. The taste reminds me a little of cheesecake.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Greek yogurt tastes better.
    Add garlic, dried mint leaves and olive oil. Mix and enjoy
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    For me I love Greek because I am lactose intolerant and Greek yogurt does not affect me one bit. I also prefer the thickness and more protein is an added benefit
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Greek yogurt is high in protein, if you need to up your protein count you cant go far wrong that greek yogurt. It can make a nice difference than just meat for added protein.

It is also slightly sour, and you can make it sweet or savoury.

It is heat stable - so you can cook with it and it makes a great meat marinade with herbs and spices.

It is low in carbs and a decent source or calcium.

You can get it in a variety of fat levels from low fat to high fat. I personally find the 10% fat one keeps me full till lunch for only 200 calories.

Edit: It also has the good bacteria (like most yogurt) for your tummy.
  • Ash1988Holland
    Ash1988Holland Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i was actually gonna start this topic myself. Here in South Africa we have only Double Cream Greek yogurt, is that the standard for all greek yogurts? or do you get low fat Greek yoghurt? thanks for starting this and for the many replies.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is just strained yoghurt; they strain of the whey. It effects flavor and nutrients, but I doubt that you would loath one and love the other
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is richer and has a better texture. It still tastes like yogurt -- but not as much if you know what I mean.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I have Greek yogurt everyday as I like the thicker texture that it has. I always add Flax seed to it as well.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Taste-wise I find Greek yogurt pretty similar to regular yogurt. The TEXTURE however is vastly better to me. Regular yogurt is thin and reminds me of eating snot. Eww. Greek yogurt is much much thicker and creamier and not snot-like at all. You couldn't pay me to eat regular yogurt anymore (especially since the protein is so [relatively] low in regular vs. Greek).
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't like yoghurt. Never have, never will.
    When I went to Greece a couple of years back a friend urged me to try Greek yoghurt. I was reluctant, but the richer texture (and a couple of teaspoons of honey) convinced me. Now, I have Greek yoghurt all the time - even without honey! ;)
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If your problem is with the taste of yogurt then you may not like greek too, it still has the sour taste, but there's nothing wrong with trying! If you don't like the texture then greek is a lot thicker. I (and most people on here it seems) prefer greek yogurt, and the extra protein is definitely a bonus!
    A lot of brands make "greek style yogurt" which strictly isn't greek yogurt, but still tasty. You could try them all and see if there are any that you like.

i was actually gonna start this topic myself. Here in South Africa we have only Double Cream Greek yogurt, is that the standard for all greek yogurts? or do you get low fat Greek yoghurt? thanks for starting this and for the many replies.

In regards to this, we have low fat and fat free greek style yogurt here in the UK, lovely! x
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is heavily strained to remove liquid whey and lactose, leaving behind a tangy, creamy product. Plain Greek yogurt has double the protein, half the carbs and half the sodium of the regular variety. Be aware, though, that not all yogurt manufacturers strain it. There is no FDA "regulation" as to what constitutes Greek yogurt so some manufacturers will add a thickening agent to it instead of straining. Also compare labels to make sure what you're getting does have more protein and that it is made with live yogurt cultures.

When in doubt though, make your own! It's wicked easy and so much better tasting than the store bought stuff.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would say if you don't particularly care for regular yogurt you might just not like greek- I was never a big yogurt fan- but I have since switched to 10% milk fat Cabot greek- and the difference is notable.

1.) I do use plain and I spice it up myself.
    2.) it DOES appear/taste/texture very much like sour cream- so much so I stopped by sour cream and I only use greek yogurt for the same things.
    3.) it's REALLY good with vanilla protein powder- seriously.
    4.) berries, honey- agava- fruit- all excellent additions to sweeten up and make it delicious.

My favorite combo is plain yogurt + vanilla protein powder + 5 oz of black berries/raspberries.

it tastes like- cake- or pie. Even the lady in my office who is INSANELY picky thought it was amazing.

It's. REALLY. Good.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt!

I use it like sour cream. Otherwise I mix fruit, dried fruit or honey in it. If I'm feeling indulgent, I'll mix peanut butter and chocolate chips in it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Greek and "regular" yogurt use different bacillus which gives each a slightly different flavor. Greek uses Lactobacillus Bulgaricus and Streptococcus Thermophilus and regular uses Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus delbrueckii, and Streptococcus thermophilus. I find Greek to be a little less tart, but that depends on how long it is allowed to culture.

The other main difference is the texture. As others mentioned, Greek yogurt is strained to remove more of the whey so it is thicker. This thickness gives it more protein per cup, but that is because it takes more milk to make a cup of Greek yogurt than a cup of regular.

ETA: there is also Piima and Viili yogurts which originated in Scandinavia and are really mild but hard to come by unless you make your own.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I also hate yogurt but I can tolerate Greek yogurt because its high in protein, I will choke it down 3-4 days a week. I buy the honey flavored and add lots of berries, maybe some seeds or granola. Anything to hide the taste lol
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    I also hate yogurt but I can tolerate Greek yogurt because its high in protein, I will choke it down 3-4 days a week. I buy the honey flavored and add lots of berries, maybe some seeds or granola. Anything to hide the taste lol

Why not find a different source of protein? No reason to choke anything down...
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt tends to cost a bit more than "regular" yogurt so it must be better.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Before giving up on yogurt all together, try a higher fat higher quality brand. I picked up a discount bucket in the organic aisle, 3% fat, lemon flavour, and the difference in texture and creaminess, heavenly!

But then again I like yogurt of all kinds. Now that volume is an issue with my smaller stomach, I prefer yogurt over milk.