Yogurt vs Greek Yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Damn, I was hoping this thread was going to be about some sort of fight between a carton of conventional yoghurt and Greek yoghurt.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm a texture person. I hate regular yogurt, but like (wouldn't go as far to say love) greek yogurt.

I usually can't eat it straight though. I mix it with fruit and granola and it makes a pretty good breakfast.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Depending on the kind that you get Greek Yogurt has a little more bit to it's taste and it is thicker. I think that regular yogurt feels like mucus and I hate having it in my mouth, but Greek yogurt is heavy enough in taste that it gets rid of that for me. I would recommend trying a fruity flavor to try it out though, the original flavor is really bitter to me. The pineapple one is pretty popular from people I've talked to though.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is very heavy and thick. One caution: It has a lot more S. Thermophilus bacteria than regular yogurt. In some people, this can cause severe diarrhea by unbalancing their gut flora. So if you try Greek yogurt and then start having this problem, I would advise going back to regular yogurt.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is high in protein, if you need to up your protein count you cant go far wrong that greek yogurt. It can make a nice difference than just meat for added protein.

It is also slightly sour, and you can make it sweet or savoury.

It is heat stable - so you can cook with it and it makes a great meat marinade with herbs and spices.

It is low in carbs and a decent source or calcium.

You can get it in a variety of fat levels from low fat to high fat. I personally find the 10% fat one keeps me full till lunch for only 200 calories.

Edit: It also has the good bacteria (like most yogurt) for your tummy.

^^^ GREAT explanation.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    A lot of brands make "greek style yogurt" which strictly isn't greek yogurt, but still tasty. You could try them all and see if there are any that you like.

"Greek style" yogurt is yogurt made with the same bacillus as regular yogurt (instead of the bacillus used to make actual Greek yogurt), then strained.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Greek yogurt is very heavy and thick. One caution: It has a lot more S. Thermophilus bacteria than regular yogurt. In some people, this can cause severe diarrhea by unbalancing their gut flora. So if you try Greek yogurt and then start having this problem, I would advise going back to regular yogurt.

Uh, no it doesn't unbalance the gut flora. It is a probiotic, just like the other bacterias that are in yogurt, and actually balances your gut flora. It is also breaks down the lactose in milk which makes it easier for those people who are lactose intolerant to digest dairy products.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I thought I read somewhere that Greek yogurt is sometimes made from goat milk instead of cow milk which would also affect (effect?) the flavor. I could be wrong though.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I thought I read somewhere that Greek yogurt is sometimes made from goat milk instead of cow milk which would also affect (effect?) the flavor. I could be wrong though.

No. The only difference is the fact that it's strained which makes it thicker/more tangy.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I mean- there COULD be goat greek yogurt- but it's not specifically made with goat milk.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

No. The only difference is the fact that it's strained which makes it thicker/more tangy.

That is not the only difference. There are different bacillus used to make Greek yogurt which gives it a slightly different flavor and tangyness. If it is just strained regular yogurt, it is "Greek Style".

• dme100
    dme100 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I mean- there COULD be goat greek yogurt- but it's not specifically made with goat milk.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Since Greek yogurt is technically just drained yogurt, I find it tastes a big less tangy than regular since the weigh that comes out of it is pretty astringent tasting. Here's my cheat for making great Greek yogurt from cheap supermarket plain yogurt: Bargain Greek Yogurt Hack
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other responses...it's likely someone else covered this, but here's my 2 cents...

When I first started trying to incorporate yogurt, I wasn't a big fan. I ended up finding a Dannon yogurt (I think it was one of the Activia ones) that came with some granola. Ended up really liking having the granola in there for some texture/crunch. Wasn't crazy about the texture of the yogurt though.

Then I kept hearing about greek yogurt and that it has more protein in it. I think it's a lot creamier and thicker than regular yogurt, and I actually really prefer it to regular yogurt. It does have a lot more protein. It doesn't come with granola, but Nature Valley now has loose granola with protein. I like the Oat and Honey flavor. I do keep it around in case I want it with the yogurt, but don't always put it in there.

Dannon Oikos Key Lime Yogurt is my favorite. Usually have it for breakfast. Will sometimes have it with/for dinner.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Redwood Hill Farm has delicious goat milk yogurt.
  • cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Damn, I was hoping this thread was going to be about some sort of fight between a carton of conventional yoghurt and Greek yoghurt.

FOR FAILS ALL CONVENTIONAL YOGURT! GREEK YOGURT FOR WIN.

Conventional sucks because of things.

Something about the chemical builds and nutrients of the two.

Blah blah blah complaining and bashing.

There you go.