What helps you wake up early to get that workout in?

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ...what's wrong with working out in the afternoon?..or evening for that matter! I am not a big morning person either, and I have to wake up at 4:45am to be at the office @7;00am...so, the idea of waking up even earlier than that, kills all my motivation!..HELP!

nothing wrong with that.. just not what this person was looking for :)

my bestie has to work out late at night because she has to leave super early to work in times square - hse gets great results between 830 and 930 pm - something different works for everyone!

(thank goodness or gym hours would only be from 5:30 to 8 am.)
  • cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OP, we are in a similarly shaped boat. I just started working out in the AM about 3 weeks ago. I like to try to get up by 6 and be there by 6:15 (literally wake up, get dressed, grab a banana, and go), but I am going to start trying to wake up at 5:30. Because I want to get more workout in as I have been mainly running. Great exercise, but my body is longing for the weights haha.

I forgot to mention that I recently got off of 2nd shift, so that is why I am having issues with even 6AM haha.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Knowing that I most likely won't get it in later after work and going to bed earlier. I'm in bed by 10 and up by 5:30. That's key for me.

Also, knowing from experience that if I hit the snooze button, another hour of sleep isn't going to do much and instead I'll just feel groggy all day at work. Working out the morning gives me more energy for the day.
  • nikkistuhlmiller
    nikkistuhlmiller Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started getting up at 4 am ( now 3 am) when I was 9 years old so I could workout for three hours each morning. I dont even really need an alarm clock anymore...preworkout helps on the mornings I just cant get going. Sounds silly,but wash your face with cold water quickly...that always works for me!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 Monday-Friday to work out. How? I just do it. Would I rather sleep? Sure, sleeping is my second favorite thing to do (eating is the first, of course), but I hate evening workouts with a passion, so I don't give myself the option to sleep in. It became a habit quick and I usually wake up before my alarm goes off.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    What gets me up early? The dog. Then since I'm already up, I figure.... why not? :)
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I set out my exercise clothes the night before so I don't have to dig around in the dark while husband is still asleep. And I ignore the devil on my shoulder that says I'll do it after work when I know damn well I probably won't.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    FitBit Charge silent alarm.

No more swiping away and ignoring my cell phone alarm.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    and i will add that getting 8 hours of straight sleep is crucial for optimal health and wellness. not getting enough sleep leads to weight gain, also. so dont sacrifice precious sleep to exercise. get it in during your regular day

The morning is part of the regular day.

I make sure the coffee pot is set up and starts brewing at 3:00 it's finished by the time my alarm goes off at 3:15, my clothes are set up and you just get it done.

I also make sure at 8 pm I'm relaxing, and usually asleep by 9 pm. Sometimes, even earlier than that. But I wouldn't trade that time for anything, it's mine, I cherish every minute because it's all about me. The other plus is now no matter what happens the rest of the day I accomplished what I wanted.
  • WhizGidget
    WhizGidget Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Here's what works for me:
    Get enough sleep
    Make your last thought when you fall asleep at night that you're going to get up and workout.
    When the alarm goes off, sit up, get out of bed, and then turn it off (don't turn it off while you're still under the nice warm covers... we all know how that often ends)
    After getting on your workout clothes, brush your teeth and your hair - you'd be surprised how much that really helps.
    Drink some water - which you should be doing anyway.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    FitBit Charge silent alarm.

No more swiping away and ignoring my cell phone alarm.

I love the fitbit silet alarms! Except I have to set the silent alarm and three on my cell phone haha
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    8 hours of sleep is not healthy for me O_O
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    See and I only have the fitbit zip! So no silent alarm for me! ;)
  • littlehome1
    littlehome1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I set 3 alarms. And have all my clothes set out the nite before im in the gym by 5am. I try not to hit snooze i get up and go even if i don't want to because i always feel so much better after i work out.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I love morning workouts. The gym isn't as busy and I feel energized for the day when I'm done! It took me a little while to adjust to getting up early, but it helps when I get everything ready the night before. Its a lot easier when I can just throw the gym clothes I laid out on, grab my bag and go!!
  • fishtaco19
    fishtaco19 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    5) Treats - I bought myself really yummy shower wash and lotion to use after the gym.. I only use it after I work out. It's small, but it really seems to make a difference to have a little reward.
    I like this idea, its great. Lush has a dreamy scent called 'Snow Fairy', smells like candy.

Also, instead of us all thinking it's negative rise at an ungodly hour, I am trying to cherish this time as 'me' time as it's uninterrupted, all about me, and being as strong as I can be and making a positive change.

Atta be early birds!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Getting enough sleep. I've been doing the morning time routine for a couple of years now, after years of saying that I couldn't do it--that I just wasn't a morning person. I know from experience that when I stop making getting to bed for a full 8 hours of sleep a priority, I don't make it up in the mornings for my workout.
  • nicole3477
    Options
    jouttie wrote: »
    Why would you want to be "video running" - whatever that might be - at five fifteen a.m.? Or anything for that matter? The thought of being anywhere but snuggled up in my bed snoring my head off at that time of the day makes me shudder :D

Couldn't have said it better myself lol
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yeah - going to bed on time has been a huge thing for me. If I am up late, forget it.

The other thing I just started doing is instead of laying my clothes out the night before, I lay the WHOLE week out on Sunday. I roll everything up in my workout pants and I have my five rolls of workout clothes lined up on my dresser. It saves me time during the week. I had a rough morning this morning, but I was able to coast along on auto pilot and get to the gym. ~phew~

I am also working on not hitting snooze. Snooze button it the devil... and it's been my lifeline for WAY too long.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Contrary curmudgeon and certified night person weighing in here.

In many of my previous, failed attempts to lose weight and get in shape, I bought the conventional wisdom that you have to get up early and hit the gym. I would do OK for a few weeks, or even a few months, but one or two late nights or other disruptions totally wiped me out.

I've been successful now by working out over lunch, or in the evenings. My workouts are much better when I'm wide awake and peaking, instead of barely conscious. Even today, when I'm fairly fit, my occasional need-driven early-morning workout sucks.

My advice: do what works for you. If you have to, or want to, exercise in the morning, great! But it's not a requirement.