Hip Flexors

Options
MrM27
MrM27 Posts: 18,355 Member
Like many people out there I find that my hip flexors are incredibly tight and I don't dedicated the necessary time to address the issue. As I have now decided that it's time to get my back squat up to a more respectable weight I am going to make it a point to improve my flexibility and mobility especially in that area.

I have a couple stretches that I currently do but obviously not as often as I should. I'm looking into several other stretches which cross into various "Yoga" poses. What stretches do you do to address hip flexors specifically? Is yoga something you generally incorporate into your repertoire? If so, is it prior to training or are you doing it on separate days?

Keep in mind, my concern in generally revolving weight training. Heavy back squats, front squats, lunges, hack squats etc. Not a general yoga program or routine for full body.

Thanks.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    There are lots of routines out there specifically to open the hips. I can suggest specific poses if that's what you're looking for?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    so your saying you don't want to do hot yoga with me..????
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just saw this the other day and t was very interesting

hip flexor video

I post this all the time but it really is a very nice routine. (hip flexor stretch at 18 minutes)
    Limber 11
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    There aren't too many good stretches for hip flexors really. The only thing that really gets them is lunch position stretches from what I've been able to figure out.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There aren't too many good stretches for hip flexors really. The only thing that really gets them is lunch position stretches from what I've been able to figure out.

What is a lunch position stretch if you don't mind me asking?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

its when you stretch after you have been sitting down and eating lunch...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I think he meant lunge position but I could be wrong. :smile: Lunch position does sound pretty interesting though.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    oh you meant "lunch position" ….that is when you bang your secretary after lunch …my bad...
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Youtube search "yoga for bodybuilders." Cause I'm lazy and don't feel like embedding,

And search stretches for front split. And do it for both sides.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    did you ask sarah or side steel?????
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options
    and yes, I live in the deep south …our homophobia is legendary down here….LOL
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I am the same mate. This is the typical stuff I do.

Warmup includes: static hip flexor stretch, groin stretch on one knee (pulsing out for this). Then foam roll/pvc pipe hamstrings, ITB, quads. Cricket ball on hip flexor, then roll around to the outside to external hip rotators and finally glutes/piriformis.

Also, if you have a desk job: I have a knee pad and every hour I will get off my chair and just kneel and do hip flexors/hammy/groin stretch.

And just started some power yoga daily. (youtube) Unsure if that will help yet.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    oh you meant "lunch position" ….that is when you bang your secretary after lunch …my bad...

I'm now even more interested in this stretch. I'm not sure how it'll help my hip flexors but it sure sounds fun.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Pigeon pose is good! (google will show u pix; I suck at pasting in photos.)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    I am the same mate. This is the typical stuff I do.

Warmup includes: static hip flexor stretch, groin stretch on one knee (pulsing out for this). Then foam roll/pvc pipe hamstrings, ITB, quads. Cricket ball on hip flexor, then roll around to the outside to external hip rotators and finally glutes/piriformis.

Also, if you have a desk job: I have a knee pad and every hour I will get off my chair and just kneel and do hip flexors/hammy/groin stretch.

And just started some power yoga daily. (youtube) Unsure if that will help yet.

Thanks for including this! I forgot to mention he'll want a knee pad or some sort of cushion for certain stretches :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

My bad typing lol. I meant lunge position.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    There are lots of routines out there specifically to open the hips. I can suggest specific poses if that's what you're looking for?
    Not really seeking a specific one. I was thinking maybe 5 or 6 different stretches hitting flexors, inner hamstring and maybe posterior chain. I've seen a few so far that interested me like Butterfly pose, pigeon pose, deep squat stretch and frog pose that I might give a shot.
    so your saying you don't want to do hot yoga with me..????
    Last time we set that up you bailed on me. The homophobe is strong within you my friend.
    Mmmmm lunch. My favorite stretch of all.

Those are good choices. :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I'm now even more interested in this stretch. I'm not sure how it'll help my hip flexors but it sure sounds fun.

Yeah, those positions sound much better than what I had in mind.