Hip Flexors

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to say, once rolling with a foam roller is comfortable, switch to a trigger point roller. Then when that sucks marginally less, a lacrosse ball.

flexors are stupid.
  • dbmata
    Options
    That WAS me watching my mouth. It 0634, I say few things, but they're all mean at this time of the day.

Except to lucy, she's cute and gets a pass.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    also- I'd invest in some of the big fat wide yoga blocks. Seriously- I stretch regularly- and I am massively surprised at how much of a better stretch I can get when I'm not taking up slack by holding myself up- can I do it- yes. is it a better stretch when I'm not fighting to hold myself up?
    - definitely.
    -
    or 12 bucks or whatever- it's worth it.

Yea I noticed that they are using those blocks all the time in the videos. I see these women in the videos say "And if are flexible enough you can stretch this far", and they do it like it's nothing. I'm like wtf. It's crazy.
    Indeed. Keep in mind -every day- you wake up you have to figure out where your body is- it's the same with lifting- same with stretching- there are good days and bad days. And you ahve to realize it's not all equal.

And where ever you are- is good enough as long as you are working.

I'm assuming I'm more flexible than you (assuming since I do take dance class and we do 30 min of warm up/yoga type stretching for 2 of my classes- so it's a regular part of my dance stuff)... and I STILL use the blocks. Even on stretches where I didn't think I needed- it has made a huge difference.

Without them- you are protecting yourself by holding yourself up- and ultimately it's "cheating" the stretch- so you just aren't getting the max results.

like- low runners stretch- sure- I can reach the floor- but with the block- I don't HAVE to- so I can spend more energy- range of motion focused on the hip flexor- rather than half of that being focusesd on getting to the floor.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    That WAS me watching my mouth. It 0634, I say few things, but they're all mean at this time of the day.

Except to lucy, she's cute and gets a pass.

I'm going to need proof in order to accept that statement as a fact.

x7tokszncrt5.jpg

Eva is cuter, and has never received a cross look from me in her life.

q5ymip59mv1l.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    also- I'd invest in some of the big fat wide yoga blocks. Seriously- I stretch regularly- and I am massively surprised at how much of a better stretch I can get when I'm not taking up slack by holding myself up- can I do it- yes. is it a better stretch when I'm not fighting to hold myself up?
    - definitely.
    -

Yea I noticed that they are using those blocks all the time in the videos. I see these women in the videos say "And if are flexible enough you can stretch this far", and they do it like it's nothing. I'm like wtf. It's crazy.
    Indeed. Keep in mind -every day- you wake up you have to figure out where your body is- it's the same with lifting- same with stretching- there are good days and bad days. And you ahve to realize it's not all equal.

I'm assuming I'm more flexible than you (assuming since I do take dance class and we do 30 min of warm up/yoga type stretching for 2 of my classes- so it's a regular part of my dance stuff)... and I STILL use the blocks. Even on stretches where I didn't think I needed- it has made a huge difference.

Without them- you are protecting yourself by holding yourself up- and ultimately it's "cheating" the stretch- so you just aren't getting the max results.

like- low runners stretch- sure- I can reach the floor- but with the block- I don't HAVE to- so I can spend more energy- range of motion focused on the hip flexor- rather than half of that being focusesd on getting to the floor.

in...for flexible chicks...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    - definitely.
    -

A wooden stick is more flexible than I am

I wonder if part of the reason my mid back is a bit tight today is because of what you're describing by holding myself up and cheating the stretch.

it's amazing how much work it is to "get" the stretch- and get in position- I hazard a guess that's EXACTLY what it is.

If you have a dictionary- or big fat books to stack up and give it a shot- see what it feels like- but seriously- get the ones from amazon prime- I think I have the pro-source ones. They are great- plus they are foam so you can throw them at people.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008SDJNPY/ref=s9_top_hm_bEMHv_g200_i2

I got black ones- because I'm racist like that.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    Like many people out there I find that my hip flexors are incredibly tight and I don't dedicated the necessary time to address the issue. As I have now decided that it's time to get my back squat up to a more respectable weight I am going to make it a point to improve my flexibility and mobility especially in that area.

I have a couple stretches that I currently do but obviously not as often as I should. I'm looking into several other stretches which cross into various "Yoga" poses. What stretches do you do to address hip flexors specifically? Is yoga something you generally incorporate into your repertoire? If so, is it prior to training or are you doing it on separate days?

Keep in mind, my concern in generally revolving weight training. Heavy back squats, front squats, lunges, hack squats etc. Not a general yoga program or routine for full body.

Thanks.

Don't know if it's yoga or not but this helps me.

Lunge forward with one foot as far as you can. You want to be in a long lunge (like a very exaggerated starting position for a track athlete) and then just sit there and allow your weight and gravity to relax and stretch your hip flexors. As your hips drop lower believe me, you'll feel them stretch.
    It is and those do help. One of the few things I do currently do.

I am off to the gym in a little bit and will be getting some stretching in. Right now I'm couch surfing with my dog.

Did yoga last night and we did another hip flexor stretch but from more of a standing, front lunge position. Hits them from a slightly different angle.

• JoRocka
    Options
    I am off to the gym in a little bit and will be getting some stretching in. Right now I'm couch surfing with my dog.
    also- just to make sure this gets said.
    - make sure you warm up before you do your stretching LOL_ it's just not going to get you anywhere trying to do your stretching cold.

for my squats (where I need the most work)
    I do 5 min jump rope
    bar warm up (8-10 reps)
    + a quarter- 6-8 reps
    whole stretch/hip opening routine
    + 45's
    + more stretching if needed
    + then into working weights
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^I'll usually add one set of light squats (135 for me) where I might hang around at the bottom for a few seconds to let my hips loosen up.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I just started incorporating yoga into my routine for this exact reason. My left hip flexor specifically is the problem. I'm pretty bad at stretching on my own; yoga helps guide me in that.

Lesley Fightmaster on YouTube is who I follow. There's no studio near me and I can do it at home. I do it the days I work from home, on my lunch hour, then lift when I'm done working a few hours later.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    ^I'll usually add one set of light squats (135 for me) where I might hang around at the bottom for a few seconds to let my hips loosen up.

yes... if I'm doing regular squats- I'm doing pause squats 1-2 times a week as working sets- so I don't really focus on that. But yeah- it's NOT a bad idea- at all.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    - make sure you warm up before you do your stretching LOL_ it's just not going to get you anywhere trying to do your stretching cold.

I do 5 min jump rope
    bar warm up (8-10 reps)
    + a quarter- 6-8 reps
    + 45's

+1. Also, stretching and improving flexibility is pretty much the opposite of lifting. "Going hard" or pushing yourself while stretching will only cause you to be less flexible. Stretching should never be painful. Go just to the point of tightness, unwind, breathe, and and really try to relax! Relax your entire body, regardless of what you are stretching. This is why those blocks are better like jrocka mentioned. It's a little hard to relax your entire body and sink into a stretch if you are holding yourself up.

Once you feel the initial muscle release and it's no longer uncomfortable, go ahead and sink a bit deeper.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Pigeon pose is great for hip flexors. I've also found my running-related hip problems have cleared up since I started Zumba - plenty of hip-shaking going on there!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I skimmed.

I bought a "yoga for runners" DVD specificially for this reason. It's amazeballs.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

I do 5 min jump rope
    bar warm up (8-10 reps)
    + a quarter- 6-8 reps
    + 45's

+1. Also, stretching and improving flexibility is pretty much the opposite of lifting. "Going hard" or pushing yourself while stretching will only cause you to be less flexible. Stretching should never be painful. Go just to the point of tightness, unwind, breathe, and and really try to relax! Relax your entire body, regardless of what you are stretching. This is why those blocks are better like jrocka mentioned. It's a little hard to relax your entire body and sink into a stretch if you are holding yourself up.

Once you feel the initial muscle release and it's no longer uncomfortable, go ahead and sink a bit deeper.

YES- breathing.

Definitely need to breath- lots- keep breathing- like- heavy open you lips and exhale like you mean it.

Stretching isn't cute- no matter what all the meme's say- LOL_ I breathe like-- as if you were panicked-and someone is coaching you to breathe into a paper bag- heavy in and out- deliberate creeper breathes.