Gym Attire for Women

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Clothing isn't as distracting to me as much as the guys lifting weights and bellowing like a whale. Sometimes I fear they are getting hurt and need help but then it turns out they just like to "exhale" as loud as they can.

You must not ever have tested a max lift before.

Jeez, I'm glad I work out at home.

I pushed an 8lb baby out a small hole and didn't make that noise

I was a labor and delivery nurse for 7 years. I find that hard to believe, unless you had an epidural, but I digress. People should be so concerned with what everyone else is doing or wearing. I'll grunt and exhale loudly if I want to.
  • motorola10
    motorola10 Posts: 76 Member
    Having a baby and weight training--- so different. Not even a close comparison. Try another complaint about people. You seem very distracted by people at your gym. That's to bad. Very judgmental. Be more excepting of people, everyone is different.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    if see through trousers make these women feel good about themselves, more power to them. doesn't affect me at all
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Clothing isn't as distracting to me as much as the guys lifting weights and bellowing like a whale. Sometimes I fear they are getting hurt and need help but then it turns out they just like to "exhale" as loud as they can.

I pushed out a 3lb log after eating an extra large burrito with extra Sirracha the night before. And I didn't make that noise. But if I have a near max squat or dead and making that noise is the difference in me pulling the weight/not getting hurt, then sorry, your sensitive ears are just going to suffer.

I suggest Planet Fitness for you
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    yesimpson wrote: »
    if see through trousers make these women feel good about themselves, more power to them. doesn't affect me at all

I am sure it effect some men at the gym. I have witness a guy who turned away from the mirror while doing bi ceps curls to look at a girl in yoga pants.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »

I am sure it effect some men at the gym. I have witness a guy who turned away from the mirror while doing bi ceps curls to look at a girl in yoga pants.

Well seeing that kind of thing makes me laugh, so I guess it's free entertainment!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I suspect they don't know or don't care. I, personally, always check pants before I buy them and every time I put them on. Call me modest in that way. I do not want my skin (which happens to be pretty pale) to show through see through black workout wear.

What I have found is if they are the proper size (which is usually one size up from jeans/slacks), they will not do that. Also, if they are made of substantially thick enough material and contain at least 12% spandex, they usually do not have any issues of being see through.

Cotton based yoga pants and some of the very thin running pants can be very see through, especially if they are too small for me.
  • Mistapholeezkat
    Mistapholeezkat Posts: 80 Member
    JOY1078 wrote: »
    Having a baby and weight training--- so different. Not even a close comparison. Try another complaint about people. You seem very distracted by people at your gym. That's to bad. Very judgmental. Be more excepting of people, everyone is different.

I wasn't judging, just saying I get distracted. I didn't say grunting while exercising is bad, just that it pulls my attention away from my own tasks. If someone is groaning and grunting and they are not in my sight, I sometimes think they are hurt or in distress. I usually wear headphones when I exercise anyway to help keep my mind on myself.
  • yopeeps025
    JOY1078 wrote: »

I wasn't judging, just saying I get distracted. I didn't say grunting while exercising is bad, just that it pulls my attention away from my own tasks. If someone is groaning and grunting and they are not in my sight, I sometimes think they are hurt or in distress. I usually wear headphones when I exercise anyway to help keep my mind on myself.

Well it sounds like you are in the right place. I had to help people who get stuck benching for example without a spotter many times at my gym. Especially if someone is about to prove me wrong on a lift like that without a spotter.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    lol, I made baby, me tough.

Meh, too many kids out there. I think people need to realize doing that isn't really helping society or the world.
  • Mistapholeezkat
    Mistapholeezkat Posts: 80 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

Meh, too many kids out there. I think people need to realize doing that isn't really helping society or the world.

I am glad your parents didn't feel that way.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Why is everyone so worried about everyone else. For real! You are at a gym to workout, I am so much in a zone when I am at the gym I don't have time or mental space to checkout everyone else, what they are wearing, the noises they are making etc. And if pants are see through, who really cares anyway? Do some polka dots really throw you that far off your game that you can't recover? I guess my simple mind just doesn't understand why everyone needs to be sooooooo concerned about everyone else. Focus on YOU which is why you are there in the first place. Sheesh!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    giggitygoo wrote: »
    I work really GD hard. One of the perks of that hard work is wearing booty shorts/leggings, with no shame.

So here's my thought process: "These leggings are clean. My butt looks awesome." That's pretty much the end of that.

cheers!

• I think you are going to the wrong gym.

A proper modern gym has rules that prevent women from showing skin above the ankles or past the wrists.
    [/quote]

lol. I am a shorty shorts wear-er. I love how my legs look and I work hard at it so I'm going to flaunt it. Also once I got used to wearing shorts, leggings are just too hot. Not trying to pull guys at all, it just makes me feel good. I'm sure women judge me, but I dont give a f...
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Some of mine are bit see-through I think, when down in a full squat, but honestly I don't really care. I have a big butt and a small waist--if I get a bigger size they will shimmy down. I go to an all women's gym so I think that helps my comfort. But I'm there to get my workout done, and if someone is distracted that's their problem.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited January 2015

I find this really hard to believe. I have had 2 babies one 7lb 5oz and one 6lb 6oz and the noises that were coming out of me were hellish!! And that was WITH an epidural for both!
  • runny111
    runny111 Posts: 58 Member
    lol at branflakes. And I agree with Yoovie, too. And I don't really care if someone can see I have striped undies on. Actually I am seeing a lot more styles that have see through/panty hose like sections (usually the back or tummy area) or hamstring or calf stripes. No my thing but they look kinda cool on people with the body for it.
  • yopeeps025
    Have you seeing a woman lift in leggings that show the muscles in your body?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    I do the butt/bend check in the fitting room- and as long as you can't see out and out skin I'm good- I don't wear underwear under them so that's not the concern.
    yoovie wrote: »
    it's a gymnasium.

a building or room designed and equipped for indoor sports, exercise, or physical education.

attire worn is for agility, close fitted for safety reasons, sweat wicking, etc.

the people there are thoroughly preoccupied with sports, exercise or other physical activity. Sweaty, focused, consumed with ability and performance and getting better and stronger and fighting the demons in their minds.

It's not a party, not a professional workplace environment, not a runway show or a social venue.

I dont care if you can see my panty lines.

If my pantylines distract you, or if my chest-to-calves black and neon spandex is going to distract you, try turning your brain inwards and focusing really hard on the actual task at hand, the stuff gyms were made for.

Best of luck!

do you wear booty shorts to aid in agility?

I do- adds at least 10 pounds to my squat- and 15 to my dead.

Neon colors adds at least another 5.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

I am glad your parents didn't feel that way.
    I'm glad the price of tea in Istanbul is better than the prices in Toronto.