metabolic damage= weight gain while in deficit???

Options
How can this be? How does that happen?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It cannot be and does not happen.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

*like*
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

haha so not true!

@taylorblade add me or send me a personal message and i can help you through this! i damaged my metabolism and now healthy, happy and training for a fitness competition!

Can you elaborate how a person can eat less food than they burn and gain weight?
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

haha so not true!

@taylorblade add me or send me a personal message and i can help you through this! i damaged my metabolism and now healthy, happy and training for a fitness competition!

Can you elaborate how a person can eat less food than they burn and gain weight?

Lol! Good point! Same thing i want to know
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Didn't happen to me even after literally after decades after alternately starving and binging, and even with thyroid disease.

I eat at a reasonable and do-able deficit, I lose weight.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    People with a history of low calorie diets (eating disorder or long term VLCDs) can and do have metabolic adaptation. Meaning that their body does start to burn fewer calories than before. But this adaptation is small (only a few hundred calories at most) and they can still create a calorie deficit. Its just that their deficit is at a lower calorie goal than it was before. It's not like they can eat 400 calories and gain weight or anything. This adaptation is not something that is going to happen on accident.

If you're gaining weight, you're not in a deficit. Period. If people could gain weight in deficits, no one would ever starve to death.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options

haha so not true!

I may have you mixed up with someone else, but weren't you going to consult your doctor about your weight concerns? If so, what did they say?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Not quite. It means that your calculated calorie expenditure could be overstated, and you think you are in a deficit based on projected values, but in reality you are not. CICO still applies; the problem is that your CO is much lower than the predictive model output.

Only ways I know of to determine your true CO is to have your metabolism tested in a lab or record your calories in and weight changes over time and use those values to calculate an equilibrium point.
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

haha so not true!

I may have you mixed up with someone else, but weren't you going to consult your doctor about your weight concerns? If so, what did they say?
    Yes i am the same boy. But my doctor said that my blood sugar and all that was stable. But he never prescribe me to get my blood work done about my hormones. He says he doesn't believe that there is anything wrong with my thyroids because if it was he said he would know by looking at my neck and he showed me some diagrams about it and stuff like thar.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's true he'd be able to see swelling and that kind of thing, but you can't tell how well a thyroid gland is functioning by just looking at someone's neck. He probably just thinks there is nothing wrong since it sounds like you don't have any other health issues-- thyroid dysfunction usually has a number of symptoms. Plus, thyroid dysfunction in a young man is unusual.

Is the photo in your profile a picture of you? If so, it doesn't look like you need to lose much weight, if any.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    People also tend to go a little nuts when they have thyroid problems.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

haha so not true!

Yes i am the same boy. But my doctor said that my blood sugar and all that was stable. But he never prescribe me to get my blood work done about my hormones. He says he doesn't believe that there is anything wrong with my thyroids because if it was he said he would know by looking at my neck and he showed me some diagrams about it and stuff like thar.

With your posting history, I'm kind of shocked he didn't refer you to a psychologist. In some of your previous posts, there was clearly disordered thinking regarding food and weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

haha so not true!

With your posting history, I'm kind of shocked he didn't refer you to a psychologist. In some of your previous posts, there was clearly disordered thinking regarding food and weight.

OP probably wasn't completely truthful with the doctor.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options

haha so not true!

Go find a different doctor (if you can) or Demand he do a blood test for your thyroid if you think it's a possibility- you (or your insurance) pay him so you can call the shots. Also see if you can do a metabolic test so you know where your metabolism is actually at.

Good luck!
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No matter how many calories you consume, if your fat and carb intake is over your MFP goal on a daily basis, you are more likely to gain--even if you are averaging 1300-1600 calorie intake..I understand the confusion; I have a 1710 calorie inake, have been doing zumba on the daily and I am losing very little, very slowly. I had to reevaluate my diet and I noticed that I was taking in more carbs and fat than I should have.
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Its true, if your metabolism is way messed up then your not burning what they estimate from this site. This happened to me but I am slowly fixing it. I was barely losing weight at 1200 calories a day. It takes a lot to mess it up though, for me it was years of not eating except once a day or maybe every other day followed by total binges. Can also be caused by anorexia. Long prolonged periods of not eating. EM2WL Has a lot of this info on it and how to correct it if anyone is interested.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    scookbey wrote: »
    No matter how many calories you consume, if your fat and carb intake is over your MFP goal on a daily basis, you are more likely to gain--even if you are averaging 1300-1600 calorie intake

No.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    No matter how many calories you consume, if your fat and carb intake is over your MFP goal on a daily basis, you are more likely to gain--even if you are averaging 1300-1600 calorie intake..I understand the confusion; I have a 1710 calorie inake, have been doing zumba on the daily and I am losing very little, very slowly. I had to reevaluate my diet and I noticed that I was taking in more carbs and fat than I should have.

*shakes head* oh gosh! that's so not true
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Where do people get this kind of stuff? It makes no sense at all.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    People with a history of low calorie diets (eating disorder or long term VLCDs) can and do have metabolic adaptation. Meaning that their body does start to burn fewer calories than before. But this adaptation is small (only a few hundred calories at most) and they can still create a calorie deficit. Its just that their deficit is at a lower calorie goal than it was before. It's not like they can eat 400 calories and gain weight or anything. This adaptation is not something that is going to happen on accident.

Well, apparently I'm a medical anomaly, as this didn't happen to me. My calorie goal today, following decades of strange eating and two types of EDs, is the same as anyone else's calorie goal of a similar height, weight, age and activity level. When I eat at that goal, I lose.

I began dieting in 1979, went to more drastic (around 800 cals/day) dieting a few years later, would only be able to maintain that for a week or a week and a half and then would binge to vomiting (no, not on purpose - the vomiting, I mean), and continued this way until my early 20s. At that time, I would restrict to about 1000 cals/day, then would occasionally binge (the net result being, obviously, more than 1000 cals/day when averaged out). I was thin and maintained my thinness in this (unhealthy) way. Once in a while I would have "uncontrolled" eating for a number of days. I would then either fast entirely for a day or two, or eat very, very low-calorie for the next week or so - lower than my 1000, I mean. Often I would eat only one meal a day, and it wouldn't be a huge meal.

I don't think I was underestimating my calorie intake, as all that time (Was I crazy?) I was experiencing dizziness and fainting, hair loss, wonky periods and the whole kit and kaboodle.

I only stopped doing those things, and went to my magical "eat all you want of X" diets (that, naturally, caused me to gain as I was eating MANY calories), about 12 years ago.

So between 1979 and around 2003, I was doing "metabolically damaging" things to my body. That's a long time.

Yet when I went to a reasonable calorie deficit - this is fairly recently - I lost at that deficit. The one MFP gave me, the one it would give a person who never engaged in this type of disordered eating.

Yes, this is anecdotal. Either it means people don't experience some sort of metabolic slowdown and don't require fewer calories than before (due to overrestrictions for a period of time - remember, mine was for 24 years), or it means I am one for the medical textbooks and will eventually be featured in the New England Journal of Medicine. :)

Or maybe I "reset my metabolism"? :dizzy_face: