Comments in the staff room......

Options
So today as I was chopping up my salad in the staff room I must have got about 15 people comment "ooo, that looks nice and healthy""wow, that looks healthy""that looks really tasty""thats a colourful salad"etc etc etc

I wondered how many people genuinely thought yeah that does look yum and how many were thinking look at the silly fat girl eating salad, i bet thats her new yeas reso, i bet it wont last more than 2 weeks.

I guess i can just use it as motivation to show them nope fat girl really did stick to it and is now fit girl, that will show em, hehe.

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Probably most people are secretly wishing you well but not worrying very much about what others say or think is probably your best bet.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Funny. I find myself looking around at people trying to eat healthy, who weren't in December, and thinking pretty much the same thing. My guess is that many of the ones who made comments were probably feeling guilty they weren't eating a nice healthy lunch themselves.

And you're right. The very best thing you can do is to stick with it and laugh last. :grinning:
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people comment on my food - annoys me. Keep your nose out of my lunch!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes I get those comments as well. "Salad again" and "I would offer you a cookie but I know you won't eat it" type of things. It used to annoy me but not so much anymore because I showed them with my weight loss.

Keep it up and enjoy the salad! :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like they were simply making conversation, but if thinking it was ill intended helps motivate you, then go with that.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Just sounds like harmless chit chat to me. Try not to read anything into it. If anything just take it at face value that your food looked good.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like they were simply making conversation, but if thinking it was ill intended helps motivate you, then go with that.

agreed.. think you're just being overly self-conscious.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    tipadoo wrote: »
    I hate it when people comment on my food - annoys me. Keep your nose out of my lunch!

OMG ME TOO. Drives me crazy. Or they ask you what's for lunch. I want to say "human remains" sometime just so they stop asking. Not sure why it bothers me so much, they are just making conversation. I don't like it when the cashier at the grocery store comments on my food either. I guess I'm just grumpy. lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Lol, I just say "Yeah, it goes good with the pizza I'm getting." Then you see the dumbfounded look. Priceless.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Now I'm kind of regretting telling a co-worker that her lunch smelled amazing earlier. :\
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I got those comments all the time. Now that people have gotten used to the new me, they no longer comment on my meals.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    On the flip side, maybe they're actually thinking "I should probably do the same thing, but I lack the willpower. I wish I were that motivated." Don't sabotage yourself.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Now I'm kind of regretting telling a co-worker that her lunch smelled amazing earlier. :\
    Right?
    Your day will go easier if you don't try to put thoughts into other people's heads. Sometimes chit chat is just...chit chat. And like in the gym, most people are thinking about their own stuff.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Holy moly, I didn't realize people read into comments on their food so much. If I tell someone their salad looks tasty it is because it does and and I'll probably have a salad with my dinner later that day.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    They be jelly of your awesome looking lunch!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    tipadoo wrote: »

OMG ME TOO. Drives me crazy. Or they ask you what's for lunch. I want to say "human remains" sometime just so they stop asking. Not sure why it bothers me so much, they are just making conversation. I don't like it when the cashier at the grocery store comments on my food either. I guess I'm just grumpy. lol

+3

I grew up with family, extended and siblings, who always commented on how I ate my food. This is how I got my disordered eating.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think they wished they'd thought of it - I feel pretty guilty/envious when I see someone eating a healthier meal than me! I'm guessing they were happy that you're trying to lose weight as well and wished to encourage you (most people assume you are when they see you with a salad), but they didn't want to say anything direct about it just in case they were wrong and ended up offending you. Just take it all as a complement and know that by the end of the week, you eating a salad for lunch will seem normal! xx
  • robinrmcfal
    robinrmcfal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wish people could just not make situations awkward by making silly comments. It's lunch. Time to eat. You are eating. No comments needed thanks!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    none of them thought that.

why do people who start changing their life for the better so often assume that the people around them are so shallow and blackhearted by default.