How do i get excited about working out.

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I work from 6:30 to 5 six days a week only off one day.I don't fell like working out my only day off. How do I fix this.

That's a lot of hours. I don't know how much I'd feel like working out if I worked 60 hours a week with just one day off. I probably wouldn't, honestly.

In your situation, I'd
    - Focus on losing weight by cutting calories from diet, instead of working out.
    - Walk when possible
    - Do a few very simple bodyweight exercises every night before bed. Here is one workout you could do at home:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/l/blbegstrength.htm
  • coffeerose55
    coffeerose55 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi ,
    I feel you on the exercise motivation. I even took it to the lowest level to just move my body. I am very sedentary so what I started to do since i am close to the stairwell. I walk down the flight and back up once every 2hours. That was the best I could do with my inhaler. It has been a week and today did not need inhaler. I will then do a flight and a half. I have it mapped out . Sounds silly and maybe not enough aerobic activity but I have been consistent and it is progress from the couch to walking a flight of stairs more than once a day. Find what you like. I like line dancing Cupid Shuffle, Blurred lines, The wobble. Even Praise dancing I make I just up to be moving!!. Good music makes you wanna move :).I even did a senior chair exercise video and yes I was embarassed .I was short of breath just from moving around in a chair!!. So look within and see what drives you Hang inthere you will find it. I am working on that day that everyone talks about those endorphins and how they miss it..
    Good Luck!
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i used to hate working out but once you start, you'll soon get used to it and start to see it as a fun activity than something you're "forced" to do.
    find something you like. for me, i chose to run and swim because it's what i love to do
  • bklynite
    Options
    I have a suggestion. I work 9-5 but I am up and moving from 6 am and home at 6pm so that's 12 hour days. This does not include other activities that I have that could extend my days another 3 hours. I have 2 breaks and one lunch. During that time I get up and I move. On my breaks I walk up to the top floor and then back to my floor. As my endurance builds I walk up then down to the bottom (there are only 8 floors) then back to my floor. I do this only once. On lunch (nice days) I walk outside but when I can't I do the stairs again on walk around the building. This is about 1 hour a day and when I did just this and maybe a walk or something on my days off, I lost about 80 pounds. I had some health set backs but I know that doing this again will help get me to my goal. You have to decide when you are ready to do it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You don't have to love working out- you just have to be prepared to go do it.

I don't want to go work out every day- I don't want to go to dance class- i don't want to get up in the mornings for work- I don't want to brush my teeth- or clean the kitty liter or take out the trash.

But I do it- because its' what needs to be done.

What Jo said and I'll add this.

There have been a ton of days where I sat on the couch and did nothing. A ton of days when I was fired up as hell and couldn't wait to the hit the weights, and a ton of days when I was on the couch and said "ok, slacker let's go do SOMETHING."

The only days I've regretted are the ones I never left the couch. I have NEVER walked out of the gym thinking "it was a mistake to come here and sweat."

+ 1

Now, I have regretted it the day after once or twice :wink:

Public service announcement: if your getting over the flu and have felt decent for a few days, don't jump back into anything too strenuous. Wait another couple of days. Relapses are a *kitten*.

Editing because my post was cut off: OP, if you get a lunch break, that's a good time to get some exercise in without having to get up early or cut into the rest of your day.
    Damn leg day :s

And yes! Getting over a sickness can be hard, but getting other people sick because you didn't want to take a rest day doesn't fly in my books!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I work from 6:30 to 5 six days a week only off one day.I don't fell like working out my only day off. How do I fix this.

by wanting it.

Don't want it, and you won't go.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    by going regularly, you'll get addicted and cranky if you miss it. true story, natural evolution. have patience grasshopper, and keep going til it's awesome. it happens!

also cute workout clothes, a great playlist, a great gym bag and a workable plan help!
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to keep going and soon it will become habit. It will become more strange not to go than to go.

Try different activities and hopefully you'll find something you enjoy.

Quoted is definitely my experience. I am grumpy if I don't get my workouts in.
    yoovie wrote: »
    by going regularly, you'll get addicted and cranky if you miss it. true story, natural evolution. have patience grasshopper, and keep going til it's awesome. it happens!

also cute workout clothes, a great playlist, a great gym bag and a workable plan help!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Do things you enjoy doing...there seems to be this notion that a "workout" means dragging your *kitten* to a gym and droning away on cardio equipment or dancing around you living room to some DVD or something...there are plenty of exercises you can do that are also recreational.

Personally, I love getting out on my bike and going for a ride...I love seeing my town and the country side and the mountains by bicycle. I also really enjoy going for hikes in the mountains...hitting the pool for a swim...and walking my dog is very pleasant. All of that is exercise. There's nothing to get excited about...I enjoy all of those things so I go do them...bonus is that I get some exercise as well.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have a sport I'm passionate about that requires me to work out quite early six days a week.

I do not feel excited for that workout when the alarm goes off. Just sayin'. I love what I do and it's fun and amazing, but I do not feel enthusiastic for most of my workouts at Oh Stupid Thirty.

I had to treat my whim like a five year old and explain that while I was not required to be excited about the workout, I was required to do the workout.

My inner five year old does generally cheer up before breakfast.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Off to the gym! Yesterday I worked from 5am-6pm (13hrs), ordered a pizza (fit my daily goals), and at 9:30pm I crashed. I woke up at 6am not thrilled by today's workout--selected by my sadistic trainer--but it's what I need to do to achieve my desired goals.

I have lost 71lbs. That is motivating. :)
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    get a different job. thats entirely too much working
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Make a commitment to do something active every day. Try different activities/workouts to find things you like. Once it becomes a habit to be active, it will be easier. Also, once you start exercising consistently, you'll see/feel results, which will be motivating as well.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    I (usually) enjoy my job(s)! At one I teach my children (among others). When you like what you do, putting in many hours isn't so odious, although it still leaves you tired. :)
  • acherry082014
    acherry082014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get creative! Find things you love to do
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I have to say find something you like and or some friends to help you

for me i found Pole fitness and hula hooping - and suddenly i was trying to fit in extra classes rather than excuses not to go to the gym

Additionally started the C25k program with Friends from work and it made a massive difference in getting me out - the number of times i would have wimped out if I had been on my own but I went out because of the others - i couldn't just say - oops i forgot my music / its raining/ i don't have the right bra - We dragged each other along
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I (usually) enjoy my job(s)! At one I teach my children (among others). When you like what you do, putting in many hours isn't so odious, although it still leaves you tired. :)

10-hour days and just one day off a week...
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

Definitely all true, however, I do sometimes have days where I also need to have a word with myself in order to actually get to the gym/dressed for running, but always enjoy it once I get started. You might find you develop a taste for it quite quickly, or it might take you until you start to see improvements - but if you don't stick with it you'll never know.
    I have a sport I'm passionate about that requires me to work out quite early six days a week.

I do not feel excited for that workout when the alarm goes off. Just sayin'. I love what I do and it's fun and amazing, but I do not feel enthusiastic for most of my workouts at Oh Stupid Thirty.

I had to treat my whim like a five year old and explain that while I was not required to be excited about the workout, I was required to do the workout.

My inner five year old does generally cheer up before breakfast.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

Definitely all true, however, I do sometimes have days where I also need to have a word with myself in order to actually get to the gym/dressed for running,

LOL- yes.

I will say- out loud.

ENOUGH.
    STOP BEING A FAT *kitten* AND GO TO THE GYM.

out loud. Yes- out loud.

Always works.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

10-hour days and just one day off a week...

bills gotta get paid, yo