I just CANNOT do a proper squat

Options
13»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes, too many instructions and too much research can overcomplicate things. Watch some kids sit in a squat position (or google image it). Can you remember doing this?

kid-squatting.jpg
    Try to just sit like he is for a bit. Seriously. From there, stand up.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    perfect-squat.jpg
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    LoryBear wrote: »
    I've also been a clumsy doofus my whole life, so maybe balance just isn't my forte.

It could be a genetic difference in balancing ability. No worries. Our whole family has greater or lesser difficulties with balance. If you still fall down after trying all those good suggestions how to position yourself, then do some other exercise.

You mentioned working on the gluteus muscles? I did a quick search on http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ for glutes, and there were many exercises that had the person supported by a bench or on the floor. That is just an example.

Whatever you want to work on, there is a way to do it without falling on your face.

Squats are not a requirement for a passing grade in Life.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Probably mobility, flexibility, and perhaps imbalance issues. No biggie, squats and any decent bodyweight programme will help you work out those.

Name of the game is progress, so start with something you can do squat-wise, aim to do something like 8 reps, and a couple of sets (2/ 3). If you can do 2/ 3 sets of out comfortably, kick it up a notch and move onto a slightly more challenging variation. If you can't even do 1/ 2 set of say 4 reps, you need to go back a notch, and find an easier variation.

Most bodyweight programmes (like startbodyweight.com) are like this, where you start with a variation of an exercise you can do, and look to progress, and move onto more difficult variations. As you do so, your balance, mobility, and any imbalances and soft tissue weaknesses should all improve along the way.

Don't beat yourself up about a variation you can't do yet, instead go back a few steps to one you can do, and aim to progress from there. You'll be amazed how much progress you can make. Good luck :smile:

Added: This is the squat progression from startbodyweight, I would say start here and see how you go. Things get tricky after the deep squats though, as things like balance and other factors come into play. I've just started the assisted one legged squats at the moment and can't believe how much progress I've made. http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/squat-progression.html
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Try squatting whenever you can instead of sitting (in the manner of the adorable wee ones above) Way back when I took childbirth classes (the baby is now driving, so....yeah.), they had us squat like that for the whole class. Most of the ladies used to need to raise their heels at first, but we all got better and more stable and strong as the classes went on. They also told us that there had been studies that showed that people who live in cultures where this posture is often taken (rather than sitting in a chair) elders experience fewer back and hip issues. So, you know, even if your exercise squats stay wobbly, you could get some health and fitness benefits anyway! Couldn't hurt (unless you have a particular injury or condition, of course.)