Broke and over weight...

Options

Replies

• rcottonrph1
    Options
    Do the best you can will what you have. And make 'earning a better income' as big as or more important a goal as your weight loss. Doing something is better than nothing at all. So eat as healthily as you can with the funds you have.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    I have been there too. Some tips:
    - Check the freeze aisle.
    - Buy your grains and cereals on bulk. Tesco sells family packs of pasta, rice, etc.
    - Search out farmer's markets and discount stores, such Iceland, Aldi, Pound shops, etc.
    - Compare food prices online.
    - Look for a cheaper gas, electricity, phone and broadband providers, as well as cheaper home and car insurances.
    - Switch off the lights when leaving the room
    - Find the cheapest petrol station near you.
    - Don't buy branded stuff, even medicine, identical products are available much cheaper.
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    By freezing produce, the nutritional content can be preserved that some fresh foods lose as the clock ticks. I would think this would be fairly obvious....

Anyway, has anyone mentioned making double batches/freezer meals? I have found that making double batches of foods when key ingredients are on sale not only saves money, but time. AND you only have to wash one set of pots and pans.

• aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The only real "fresh produce" is straight from your own garden. I typically buy frozen veggies (things like broccoli, green beans, etc.) for this very reason.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm grateful that I don't have the money problems I did when I was younger. However, if you ask my son-he'll tell you I live like I'm poor. He's exaggerating of course, but I am frugal. I work my *kitten* off for extra income (clean houses) and I don't spend it lightly.
    So, shop smartly! Buy only that which is on sale that week and try to stock up on even just one item. Like, if chicken breasts are a super deal, buy just a bit more to freeze. Buy dry goods from the bins- rice, pasta, beans, even spices. Cook in batches; like a big pot of turkey chili. Try for less expensive proteins- like eggs and canned tuna or salmon.

Your local library probably has a ton of videos you can check out- or youtube exercise videos if you have internet.
    Walking is free, if it's raining go to a mall and walk indoors.
    I can easily recall how hard it was to make ends meet, it gets very depressing at times.

There are a ton of websites devoted to living frugally. I don't really like that word though-I like to think I'm just living within my means.
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First-investigate making soup. Soup can be very healthy and it's very satisfying. Use veggies that are in season or look into local farmers' markets. A pot of soup can last all week or you can do what pioneers used to do and just keep adding whatever veggies, protein and liquids you have on hand. Slow cookers are great for this if you have one.
    Second-Walk. Walk everywhere. To the store, to the post office.
    Third-Clothes-My husband has been in and out of a job the last five years. Lots of resale shops have perfectly good clothes for sale. This especially true of business wear and coats. If you need new clothes-because you lost weight or in order to interview for jobs-seek those outlets.
    Fourth-Some Goodwill outlets even have a special section for high end designer stuff. Many churches have ministries that help with job searches. They also help with interview wardrobe and even can help financially in a pinch. Don't be too proud to ask for help.
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am struggling financially at the moment, and have found that steering clear of expensive packaged foods, desserts and confectionery saves me money. Buying fresh foods is GST free in Australia, and the less processed a food is the cheaper it is. A bunch of kale is $2!

Instead of weight loss shakes, which gave me gas and cost $4, I'll buy a cucumber, a banana, frozen berries and apple and kale then blend that with ice (it costs the same and is way more nutritious. All you need is a blender. You can make a big lot of it and freeze in ice cube trays or put in bottles to take to work.

Never buy lunch if you are working. You can either have a home made smoothie, a sandwich from home or as I often do, last night's left overs. We are a family of 3 so I make a serving for 4 and save a portion for lunch the next day. That way you aren't tempted to buy unhealthy takeaway that is also expensive. It's important to cook at home if you aren't wealthy, it saves a lot of expense.

I cancelled my gym membership and sold my care as I couldn't afford those as well as my daughter's school fees. I use the gym in my apartment complex instead. If I didn't have that it would be harder, but there are public pools or stairs. I have a knee injury so I have to be careful. Because I sold my car, I walk and catch public transport which is better for the environment, costs less to me, and makes me walk more, except on days when my knee hurts.

When I was a student I lived on veges, rice and vegetarian proteins like tofu or eggs, and saved a lot of money on takeaway and junk food. Recently when I was on a road trip with my family, we stopped at Macdonald's and it was $25 for the three of us to eat a basic lunch and the calories I calculated were through the roof. I can make a healthy meal for under $10 for my family using fresh vegies. I eat plain oats instead of cereals and add a teaspoon of honey and a banana instead of buying premade oat satchets full of sugar and additives.

Money doesn't obstacle to healthy eating. The closer the food is to the original source the less it costs to produce, so it follows that fresh foods cost less than prepackaged.

I totally empathise, it is awful to be hard up. My current situation is temporary, I hope and was caused by using up all our savings for knee and back surgery a few times in the past few years, then my business and job not going the way I expected and not getting as much work as I need to sustain the lifestyle I am used to. It's depressing and I have gained weight. But I am turning it around, and will get back on track.
  • las357s
    las357s Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We live paycheck to paycheck with very little money for food. I just eat around my calorie allotment. I do not have money for a gym membership. I go to the mall to walk. Every complete lap is a mile. The mall opens early before the stores for the walkers. I also go to our community college twice a week and climb the stairs. Very good workout and you burn many calories.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I do not eat fresh veggies, or perfectly healthy my self. But I have managed to loose 70 lb so far. This is with canned veggies, instant mashed potatoes, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, ect. I coupon so I have a lot of that stuff.
    The only fresh things I really can afford to have in the house is fruit. A bag of pears and some bananas and I am set.
    I just make sure to check that label and measure and weigh every gram/oz that I eat and keep under or with in my range.
    I even weigh ketchup
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I am super, super broke. There have been periods of my life when I've been too poor for any food, at all.
    That said there are very cheap, healthy foods. Rice, bananas, certain vegetables are all really cheap. Fruits can be okay too if they're in season.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A couple of cheap options involve meals centered around lentils, beans, cabbage, turnips, and other healthy staples. Add small amounts of your favorite meat and add good spices. Jiffy mix or other cornbread with spinach, onion, and cheese makes a whole cheap meal. For dinner tonight we had $4 of frozen cod pieces with onion, milk, potatoes, and kale. Fantastic chowder - 10 servings with a side of jiffy corn bread (50 cents). Make sure you use EVERYTHING. Roast chicken is $7 but makes at least 5-10 with roast, chicken salad, 2-4 meals of soup from the bones, stirfry, etc. Save the drippings for gravy and mix with beans/noodles/rice.

Just hit the vegetable, bean, meat, and dairy aisles. You can make a side trip for flour and sugar. Good luck. This is a skill that will last a lifetime.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I work for a non profit and my girlfriend is a teacher...we choose to spend our money on a nicer apartment instead of entertainment--and thankfully I do the grocery shopping so I can share how I cut dollars.

Go to multiple stores. Browse sale papers online, make a plan. Use the coupons in your local mailers, but only if they are stuff you'll REALLY USE. Hint: don't save every shampoo coupon, bc they list those almost weekly. But save food coupons, toothpaste, household cleaners.

Buy 2-4 weeks in advance. Publix often sells eggs at 2.79/dozen but Kroger is 1.79-2.00, except when they have them for 2/3.00 or even .99! I buy 6-8 dozen eggs at a time, and write the exp dates on the carton so we always pull the oldest first. Eggs WILL keep 1 week at least past exp date. Eggs are cheap and quick, and we often use a 3:1 ratio of whites:yolks and it's still cheaper than buying processed eggs.

Learn what your average prices are at your local stores so you can catch when they slyly raise prices a few cents. Sometimes they do that then have the item on sale the next week.

Brown rice, beans, and sweet potatoes are CHEAP. I pay .59-.89/lb for sweet potatoes. I buy 10-20lbs at a time when they are on sale. Go meatless a few times each week. Try not to fall into a pasta trap, unless you get the high fiber high protein pasta. We eat it about twice a month, but once a week can save money. More than that and you're loading in simple carbs when you could have switched to something more filling. Try using chick peas instead of pasta one night. I find I eat half as much in volume.

Indian food and other Asian cuisines are great as an inspiration, those cultures tend to use less meat or cheaper cuts.

Chicken--look for BOGO offers and de-skin your chicken yourself. Don't pay for convenience!

Use digital coupons if you can. You can load them to a shoppers card/ID. We have smart phones so it's easier for me (but I have to have my phone for work...not everyone can justify the cost). There are times I've gotten free items because they were BOGO and I had digital coupons AND paper coupons.

Stay away from TV dinners and convenience foods. I do buy boxes of zatarans on occasion, things like that, only bc they are on sale. Boxes often mean added salt, sugar, etc. make your own food and you can make it taste the way you want!! Sandy likes taco night with turkey meat, I use veggie crumbles or mash up a softened vegan burger. I ran out of taco seasoning packets so I used red pepper, cumin, mrs dash chipotle, garlic, and smoked paprika. It tasted EXACTLY the same and had ZERO sodium. Read labels and break down the labor into your own work.

You don't need a gym to work out. Go to your local library and check out DVDs or see if there's something online via YouTube that you can do. Play your fave music and GET TO SWEATING. I only pay 9$ a month for my gym bc my health insurance reimburses me 20$/mth. Is that something you could look into?

I usually spend about 100/week on "groceries" for two people, which includes cat litter, cat food, laundry and household cleaners, and occasional extra food for our friends when they come over to visit. We often make them BYOB since we never have more than one bottle of wine in the house.

My savings at the store are usually 50-60% off the shelf price with coupons and BOGO offers. It takes planning but it's worth it.

Good luck!
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Also, think about the long term effects of buying items like canned veggies and convenience meats (chicken nuggets or fingers). Losing weight is about being healthy, not just eating under your deficit. Your body would be better off with WHOLE foods and will perform better.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned hummus - if you like it, learn to make your own. It will be a lot cheaper than buying the prepared stuff. All it takes is one large bowl (for overnight soaking) and a basic food processor.
  • TheFatBrokenGirl
    TheFatBrokenGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/ I love this site for great, low cost meals. Some are higher in calories than others but you can go for smaller portions or lower calorie substitutes for some ingredients.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    doomspark wrote: »
    Someone mentioned hummus - if you like it, learn to make your own. It will be a lot cheaper than buying the prepared stuff. All it takes is one large bowl (for overnight soaking) and a basic food processor.

Actually - Costco here sells Hummus at a price/qty I can't make it from scratch with.
    But great point. Some things are cheaper to make from scratch (and usually far more delicious). But, you will have to shop around
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I will tell you that this single mother definitely feel on hard times but still had to feed my children good stuff and also things they like, like mac n cheese, pizza rolls etc those kind of things. So what I did was buy some children's plates out of the children's section at WalMart some bowls and cups. This helped me portion control. Lost 75 pds... Hope this helps

I also eat on small plates. I use the "luncheon" sized plates, and little kid's cereal bowls (that only hold 1 cup of cereal)

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    doomspark wrote: »

Actually - Costco here sells Hummus at a price/qty I can't make it from scratch with.
    But great point. Some things are cheaper to make from scratch (and usually far more delicious). But, you will have to shop around

If you have a friend with a costco membership, I do recommend buying the hummus. It is a great deal!

• nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You can still buy canned stuff! Get the low sodium version. They usually have a generic version that will be under $1 for tomatoes, corn, carrots, green beans, etc. Another great resource is frozen food. There are store brand chopped veggies that go great in stir frys, soups, and all kinds of dishes.

I also hear Aldi is a great money-saving resource, if you have one where you live.

If you need to sacrifice your gym membership for the time being, get some home DVDs that you can stick to doing. There's a video for every kind of person, really. Jillian Michaels, 10 minute solution, Ballet Beautiful total body, Xtend Barre...these are some that I have tried and liked. You can mix up weeks of doing different ones and maybe go for a run if you need more cardio.

<3 best of luck to you
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I defiantly recommend the Costco route if you can. You can get bulk meat for a lot cheaper than the grocery store and freeze it. Now, it does cost more up front, so you may have to save and plan for it. Starting that might be difficult, and if you don't have a big freezer, you won't be able to stock as much. But if you can swing it, you will save money over time, and having things on hand to cook yourself makes it easier to do that. Before I got married, I had to live paycheck to paycheck, and I ate a lot of chicken and cheap beef cuts. A lot of what I would do is at the grocery store I went to, i could get a package of beef for stir fry for $2, and that would have enough meat for two meals for me. I wouldn't stir fry them, I'd do random things that I liked with them and it worked. I also would stock up on canned and frozen food on payday, so if I ran out of money for food, I would still have things to eat. Wouldn't be what i wanted sometimes, but it was food and I would be fine. Shop around, find out what deals your grocery store has and see what other stores have. Some cuts of meat are a lot cheaper than others, and most can be made perfectly tasty when cooked right.