What's the deal with the obsession of sweets?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or did this thread get a lot shorter?

It got shorter. It seems the bingo game may no longer be allowed.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Is it just me or did this thread get a lot shorter?
    Hey yeah...I had posted an admittedly somewhat catty reply to a post that was also rather catty and non-contributive. Both posts seem to be gone now. I don't mind, they didn't contribute to the OP anyway.
    Spell check tells me contributive isn't a word..I could have sworn it was a word..haha
    It is, just not a common usage of contribution. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/contributive

OT: I like sweets because they taste good and keep me from going off the deep end. I'm not addicted.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think it was the OP feels sweets have such a strong positive image that very few people question whether they have any nutritional value and just eat them to excess?

If thats the case then Id disagree although im not in the USA so cant vouch for what Americans think about sweets.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I think it was the OP feels sweets have such a strong positive image that very few people question whether they have any nutritional value and just eat them to excess?

If thats the case then Id disagree although im not in the USA so cant vouch for what Americans think about sweets.

I disagree and I'm in the USA. I can't say that I've noticed any difference in the public perception of eating sweets vs. eating a burger. If anything in my social circles the burger would be more acceptable because it's a meal.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The use of the word addicted for me is used light heartedly. Like saying to my friends, "I ate the whole bags of M&M's today, so I may be addicted to M&M's". No one would ever think I had a true addiction to M&M's.

I think most people have a sweet tooth or even a "salty" craving. I actually have both, and I allow each day something sweet or salty depending on the day. Sometimes I have something sweet and need something salty or vice versa.

I do over use the word addiction.. I do not take it literally when someone says I am addicted to sugar..I just take it they really like sugary food like I do..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I disagree and I'm in the USA. I can't say that I've noticed any difference in the public perception of eating sweets vs. eating a burger. If anything in my social circles the burger would be more acceptable because it's a meal.

if i see someone eating ice cream..I think "damn, i want some now too" not "look at that fatty mcfatface…" but maybe that is how OP's crew thinks? She has not come back to clarify ...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    The use of the word addicted for me is used light heartedly. Like saying to my friends, "I ate the whole bags of M&M's today, so I may be addicted to M&M's". No one would ever think I had a true addiction to M&M's.

I think most people have a sweet tooth or even a "salty" craving. I actually have both, and I allow each day something sweet or salty depending on the day. Sometimes I have something sweet and need something salty or vice versa.

I do over use the word addiction.. I do not take it literally when someone says I am addicted to sugar..I just take it they really like sugary food like I do..

I think a lot of people use the word addiction like you do, but there are plenty of other people who believe and state that sugar is as addictive as hard drugs.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think a lot of people use the word addiction like you do, but there are plenty of other people who believe and state that sugar is as addictive as hard drugs.

seems like every thread on here lately ..is "help I am addicted to coffee, or sugar, or pizza, or peanut butter…" #annoying
  • Jennjoywolf
    Jennjoywolf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm always curious to the same thing. I have a binge eating disorder, but never am triggered by sweets. I will frequently turn down ice cream because the idea of sweet just makes me shudder with displeasure. I also hate the aftertaste of milk, and I can always detect it in ice cream.
    Chips, salty things, savory things, bread of any kind - those are the things I crave. Once I have a bite, I can't stop.
    - I read that some people are "supertasters" which means they have more taste buds and can taste more flavor. There is a theory that people with less taste bud receptors like sweet but those with more receptors like salty. I've also read a similar theory that less receptors binge more because they need more food to get the same sensation that typical people do.
    - Personally, I think there is a huge amount of conditioning involved in developing additions and food preferences. My husband, for instance loves desert. If he can't have it, he gets moody. It turns out that desert was a big time for his family growing up, and he has memories of it being a big treat. So I'm sure that figured into some or maybe a large extent to his love of sweets. I, on the other hand did not grow up with desert at all. My family had dinner with a meat of some sort, and two vegetable sides. Every dinner. And a snack if I was hungry. I remember the biggest treat I had was once in a while McDonalds - my mother would hand a french fry to me right out of the bag in the car. Flash forward to high school when I was finally allowed to buy my own food - I went straight for the french fries. My food preferences pretty much revolve around salty, carby stuff, and I'm pretty sure that's where it began.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

seems like every thread on here lately ..is "help I am addicted to coffee, or sugar, or pizza, or peanut butter…" #annoying
    Don't forget the potato chips one. I was smh all over the place.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Don't forget the potato chips one. I was smh all over the place.

I must have missed that one….
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    Not shouting the thread down, just asking what points she is trying to make because its very difficult to see. Feel free to tell us.

I think on page two she said obesity is tied to a positive perception of sweets and desserts or something like that….

which totally ignores the people that get obese eating pizza, popcorn, burgers, sausage, etc...

Or beer, many people have gotten fat off liquid calories. When people give up liquid calories (beer or soda usually) and make posts about having trouble eating enough they get responses like 'keep eating what made you fat, just less of it.'

isn't that the pint of weight loss…eat less of what you were previously eating, so that you can enjoy the foods that you like and lose weight?

The point of weight loss for me is to be heathier (I started out morbidly obese). There would be no point in continuing to eat in a way that is unbalanced, or that creates cravings that would make it hard for me to stick to my calorie goals. Along the way I'm learning about healthier eating. Dieting is learning good habits and making a lifestyle change for some.

Were you making a pun - i.e. one is having a pint of weight loss instead of a quart of food?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    Not shouting the thread down, just asking what points she is trying to make because its very difficult to see. Feel free to tell us.

I think on page two she said obesity is tied to a positive perception of sweets and desserts or something like that….

which totally ignores the people that get obese eating pizza, popcorn, burgers, sausage, etc...

Or beer, many people have gotten fat off liquid calories. When people give up liquid calories (beer or soda usually) and make posts about having trouble eating enough they get responses like 'keep eating what made you fat, just less of it.'

isn't that the pint of weight loss…eat less of what you were previously eating, so that you can enjoy the foods that you like and lose weight?

The point of weight loss for me is to be heathier (I started out morbidly obese). There would be no point in continuing to eat in a way that is unbalanced, or that creates cravings that would make it hard for me to stick to my calorie goals. Along the way I'm learning about healthier eating. Dieting is learning good habits and making a lifestyle change for some.

Were you making a pun - i.e. one is having a pint of weight loss instead of a quart of food?

sigh, you again …

I meant point…

Look, I get it you think foods are "bad" sugar is "evil" and you restrict …so just keep on doing it and knock yourself out…

Losting weight will lead to improved health.

there is nothing wrong with eating bagels, pizza, ice cream, cookie,s etc and incorporating them into a diet. One can do that and still be healthy. The implication that just because someone eats food on the "bad food" list is disingenuous....
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

sigh, you again …

I meant point…

Look, I get it you think foods are "bad" sugar is "evil" and you restrict …so just keep on doing it and knock yourself out…

Losting weight will lead to improved health.

there is nothing wrong with eating bagels, pizza, ice cream, cookie,s etc and incorporating them into a diet. One can do that and still be healthy. The implication that just because someone eats food on the "bad food" list is disingenuous....

Sometimes continuing how one has eaten before the diet is unhealthy - not all overweight people have been getting enough of certain micros, or protein. Dieting can lead to changes in eating that will result in better health, more energy, easier gains etc. Also, some people are triggered into binges, or end up eating more than they intended, by specific foods. Or that they feel better when some foods are eliminated (discover food intolerances). During the diet, they may learn what foods interact badly with them, and then chose to avoid them.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS love sweets!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Measure your food @kyta32, measure your food.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    laciemn wrote: »
    I'm saying I believe at least part of America's obesity problem has to do with the ridiculously positive perception of desserts and sweets, especially by women.

I'm a sugar addict. If I didn't love sweets so much I'd probably be skinny mini but I struggle with my sugar addiction. I love sweets and it has NOTHING to do with how I perceive sweets or how the sweets are represented in media/stores/etc. Sugar is addictive and for some people (like myself) it is difficult not to overindulge.

I'm currently on my 4th day straight of no sugary snacks or treats other than fruit...and I feel like I have a sugar monkey on my back!
    Sugar does not make us fat, an over-consumption of food in general does.

You may categorize yourself as a sugar addict, but sugar is no more addictive than fruits, vegetables, or meats.

Why not just portion the sweets to yourself?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I think the reality is that sugar cravings exist and are a problem for a lot of people on this forum. Whether it is an addiction is debatable and has been debated at length without a resolution. :p

Fact remains, the obsession with sugar needs to be addressed and for those who are sick of hearing about it please allow those who have this problem a chance to voice their concerns and solve their dilemma at their own pace. They will find their solution in their own time during the discussion and the fact that this is according to Kruggeri "the 10th sugar is addictive thread" only emphasis the need for discussion.

Blatantly trying to shut the thread down will only result in 10 more springing up. Let it run its course. What is the harm??

What?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that humans evolved to prefer sweets because it was a quick energy source i.e. fruit in the primal days. Or some *kitten* to that effect.