Hello! My name is Chris and I am a sugar addict

2»

Replies

• silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited January 2015

Addiction: compulsive physiological need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be physically, psychologically, or socially harmful—compare habituation

I don't think peanut butter or sugar are actual addictions. Some people who have gone through ACTUAL addictions take offense that the term gets thrown around and attached to things that aren't addictions.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here, just telling you why some people will jump all over the term.
  • Shastabaldi
    Shastabaldi Posts: 36 Member
    StacyReneO wrote: »
    Wow, such harsh judgements. Chris, please don't let some of the old timers scare you off. They're lack of tact is probably a self-esteem issue. There are good people here who offer good advice and don't just troll the board looking to bully.

LOVE IT! it's true!!!!!
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    I'll be the first one to say it:

HI CHRIS! (I'm a part of your circle)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    cknowlton2 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Your not addicted, you just need to learn self control.

You could use an English lesson."You're not addicted." I am new & after reading this snarky blog - I will bow out & support myself.

I too have had enough of this and choose to bow out and support myself or talk to someone who cares that is not MFP.

Don't let them drive you out. You've got a lot of spine. Stick around please.

@newmeadow, I am still around! But I am jumping out of this thread for good. I have read all the comments since my last one and it just does not stop!

@newmeadow I am not a peanut butter addict... I said that and it too got blown way out of proportion...

• Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    StacyReneO wrote: »
    Wow, such harsh judgements. Chris, please don't let some of the old timers scare you off. They're lack of tact is probably a self-esteem issue. There are good people here who offer good advice and don't just troll the board looking to bully.

I wouldn't say it's a self esteem issue.

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    from CAMH

What is addiction?

The word “addiction” is often used to refer to any behaviour that is out of control in some way. People often describe themselves as being addicted to, for example, a TV show or shopping. The word is also used to explain the experience of withdrawal when a substance or behaviour is stopped (e.g., “I must be addicted to coffee: I get a headache when I don’t have my cup in the morning”).

However, experiencing enjoyment or going through withdrawal do not in themselves mean a person has an addiction.

Because the term “addiction” is commonly used in such a vague way, there have been many attempts to define it more clearly. One simple way of describing addiction is the presence of the 4 Cs:

craving
    loss of control of amount or frequency of use
    compulsion to use
    use despite consequences.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

giphy.gif

Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

The forum guidelines include this item:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,

kgeyser
This discussion has been closed.