Hello! My name is Chris and I am a sugar addict

Options
garn64
garn64 Posts: 231 Member
I am not even sure where to start to stop eating the stuff. I read articles on it and just get overwhelmed. Sorry just venting and realizing how much I like the white stuff.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    garn64 wrote: »
    I am not even sure where to start to stop eating the stuff. I read articles on it and just get overwhelmed. Sorry just venting and realizing how much I like the white stuff.

Good job of trolling
  • Acg67
    Options
    It's pretty simple, either you're trolling, lying or ignorant about your "sugar addiction"
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There have been five or six threads in the past week debating whether or not sugar is an addiction. They get quite heated. You might want to check them out if you want some more context for the comments you're getting/going to get. I'm sure the search feature could help you find them.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    It's pretty simple, either you're trolling, lying or ignorant about your "sugar addiction"

that's pretty harsh; some people just don't know how else to term things other than "addiction"

Hmmm

ig·no·rance
    ˈiɡnərəns/
    noun
    lack of knowledge or information.

Fitting no?
  • garn64
    garn64 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Welcome to MFP Chris. I'll give you some links to some groups that support what you're looking for if you're interested. And you'll be treated respectfully.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    MFP doesn't have a group search function unfortunately. If you join either of these two groups and get on the discussion forum there, you can ask for links to other groups that support sugar free eating and they'll be posted for you.

Thank you
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    This is what I found helped diminish my cravings:
    • Reducing added sugars in my diet
    • Making sure I get enough protein (.8g/kg of body weight)
    • Getting enough fiber (minimum 25g/day or 15g per 1000 maintenance calories)
    • Always have protein with carbs (never have carbs on their own)
    • Eating at regular times
    • Vigorous exercise
    • Getting RDAs for micronutrients
    • Yogurt and brown rice (works for me, may not work for anyone else)
    • Getting enough sleep
    • Getting enough water

If I'm craving, I try
    • Waiting 15 minutes
    • Having a glass of water
    • Telling myself I've waited it out before, I can wait it out again
    • Getting active (dancing, doing chores, doing a workout),
    • Distraction (talk to family/friend)
    • Reminding myself of the benefits of continuing my diet (health, energy, there for my family, etc.)

Good luck :)
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm going to assume this person actually needs help.....

I am 'addicted', for want of a better word, to chocolate. Call it a chocolate habit, call it a psychological craving. Whatever, it's not that important as the effect is the same: I find it really hard to not eat chocolate.

This is what I have found helps: eat plenty of protein. I find this stabilises my blood sugar levels and stops me having sugar crashes. Now, I can eat only 3 pieces of a large bar of chocolate instead of finding the whole bar irresistible and gobbling it all up in one go. Yay for me.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I also love sugar. For me, the more I eat it, the more I want it. I am learned to control this and you can too. At the suggestion of my doctor, I started out by eating only lean proteins, veggies, yogurt, limited amounts of low GI fruit, etc. for a short time (about a week). It was tough for the first few days, but it became much easier. (The headaches were bad, but tolerable with tylenol!) After that, I concentrated most of my eating on those foods I just listed, but allowed myself a treat or two, if they fit in my calorie goals. I try not to do this everyday, simply because I am the type of person who easily goes overboard with sweets if I am not careful.

For other people, sugar is no big deal....and I guess it is hard for them to understand that it can be a real obstacle to weight loss.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Excellent article.. To the OP if you read anything else read the paragraph about just decreasing to 15% in your daily goal...

Good stuff.. I am going back to it and read it entirely agin..
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Excellent article.. To the OP if you read anything else read the paragraph about just decreasing to 15% in your daily goal...

I thought it was mostly bogus and completely ignored the more important points of what it takes to become/remain healthy...but MFP believes it's beneficial to pay someone to write it. Have at it. Best of luck in chasing the elusive benefits of focusing on one particular bogeyman food as the root cause of what is simply a calories *from all sources* over-consumption problem.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Chris, you're not addicted and you don't have to do a ridiculous low calorie diet.

Man up and take some responsibility for yourself.

?????

Always look for threads containing addict, addicted to, addiction, sugar, pizza, caffeine before you post using these words.

The topic will take a life of its own. People are harsh....
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Your not addicted, you just need to learn self control.
  • Acg67
    Options

that's pretty harsh; some people just don't know how else to term things other than "addiction"

Hmmm

ig·no·rance
    ˈiɡnərəns/
    noun
    lack of knowledge or information.

Fitting no?

OMG what in the world is going on in MFP?

If I may say please ignore some of these really harsh folks that just want to start something...

I am addicted to peanut butter, but I am not trolling, ignorant or lying about eating too much peanut butter...

And who diagnosed your peanut butter addiction and what is the most often prescribed treatment?
  • Kayyi
    Kayyi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I found that when I had a hard time cutting the sugar down in my diet, I would grab some sweeter fruits and vegetables to snack on. I find that apples and berries are the best for myself. Or one thing I love is apple slices with a bit of peanut butter and a couple chocolate chips. Just keep moderation in mind :smile:
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Wow, such harsh judgements. Chris, please don't let some of the old timers scare you off. They're lack of tact is probably a self-esteem issue. There are good people here who offer good advice and don't just troll the board looking to bully.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

I thought it was mostly bogus and completely ignored the more important points of what it takes to become/remain healthy...but MFP believes it's beneficial to pay someone to write it. Have at it. Best of luck in chasing the elusive benefits of focusing on one particular bogeyman food as the root cause of what is simply a calories *from all sources* over-consumption problem.

You know I HAVE TO SAY THIS... AND I'M GOING TO RIGHT NOW...

YOU PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN POSTING THIS STUFF ARE ABSOULTE TROLLS YOUR SELF. YOU ARE IGNORNANT AS WELL AS JUST HORRIBLE PEOPLE..

You have done nothing but mock, humiliate and start controversies not necessary to any one on this thread. I cannot say in the thread what I think about to God awful people!

To the OP, I am sorry there is such horrible people you have to see in MFP!
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    hello
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    cknowlton2 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Your not addicted, you just need to learn self control.

You could use an English lesson."You're not addicted." I am new & after reading this snarky blog - I will bow out & support myself.

I too have had enough of this and choose to bow out and support myself or talk to someone who cares that is not MFP.

This discussion has been closed.