Cardio vs Weights

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    So you're doing all cardio except for 20 minutes a week? 20 minutes a week of strength most likely is of no benefit to you. You might as well skip it.

My advice is to reduce the cardio and replace some of it with more strength training, preferably about 30 minutes 3x per week (or more). And I suggest lifting heavy (for you) using compound lifts with free weights. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, bent-over rows, etc. There's no reason for you to be doing isolation lifts like bicep curls at this point.

As for how much cardio is NEEDED - none. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; exercise is for your health. It's ideal to have a good balance of cardio and strength in your workout routine. Cardio keeps your heart and lungs in good shape, and so does strength training, but strength training also helps you retain the muscle you have while you lose weight.

no, not 20 mins per WEEK, I do 30 mins x 3 times a week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So you're doing all cardio except for 20 minutes a week? 20 minutes a week of strength most likely is of no benefit to you. You might as well skip it.

My advice is to reduce the cardio and replace some of it with more strength training, preferably about 30 minutes 3x per week (or more). And I suggest lifting heavy (for you) using compound lifts with free weights. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, bent-over rows, etc. There's no reason for you to be doing isolation lifts like bicep curls at this point.

As for how much cardio is NEEDED - none. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; exercise is for your health. It's ideal to have a good balance of cardio and strength in your workout routine. Cardio keeps your heart and lungs in good shape, and so does strength training, but strength training also helps you retain the muscle you have while you lose weight.

no, not 20 mins per WEEK, I do 30 mins x 3 times a week. And I have mighty fine biceps and quads :)

posted twice! doh!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I feel like there are two camps - you got the cardio junkies and you got the weight lifters. youll get different opinions from both. I am a cardio nut - I run 6 days a week but I have to do strength training to make me a better runner. But I admit, its boring to me. But 3 times a week for half an hour is what I do and I run 40 minutes a day 6 days a week.
    -
    - That works for me though. Find a fitness programme that you will stick to and go with it.

^^ I agree, I do strength not because I really enjoy it but I like the results and I know its good for me overall, muscles keep burning calories all day not just in the moment like cardio does, but I love to run. Its finding something you love doing and being consistent that gets results :)

this is only partially correct. yes, a strength training exercise might keep you burning calories long after you've left the gym, but in that one hour of training you only burned 300 calories max. when you run, you can burn up to a 1,000 calories in an hour, but your body does slowly come back to normal afterwards.

I don't burn 1000 cals an hour running, but then I'm petite, I average 450 an hour and I'm a slow runner 5mph is my average :) but thanks for your input.

• TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    And I suggest lifting heavy (for you) using compound lifts with free weights. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, bent-over rows, etc. There's no reason for you to be doing isolation lifts like bicep curls at this point.

I like the sound of this!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The suggestion that cardio does not aid weight loss violates the basic CICO hypothesis. If burning 400 more calories is not equal to eating 400 less, then CICO is wrong. "Weight is lost in the kitchen" and similar nostrums are unhelpful, at best.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    The suggestion that cardio does not aid weight loss violates the basic CICO hypothesis. If burning 400 more calories is not equal to eating 400 less, then CICO is wrong. "Weight is lost in the kitchen" and similar nostrums are unhelpful, at best.
    You are correct and I believe what the poster meant was that it is harder to keep weight off over the long run doing just cardio because you rely on cardio to keep your calorie intake in check. It goes back to the classic weight loss plan for most people, go on a diet and do more cardio. We see thousands of people attempt it and fall off the wagon eventually. Now, blaming this on cardio is over simplified and there is a lot more involved because you can succeed with just diet and cardio exercise, in fact you can be very successful with it.

With strength training you don't get to rely on your exercise as a calorie burn because it is so difficult to track how many calories you can eat back for the day. You end up relying on diet for weight loss more than any calorie burn. Again, it does not work for everyone but in my opinion diet it is a better way to learn about your body and how to manage your weight. You can achieve the same goals from cardio/diet but the classic approach doesn't focus on a sustainable diet.

For the OP, I would look at a 3x5 or 5x5 strength program and incorporate into your week. Do as much cardio as you feel comfortable with and when you get to the point where the two exercises become too much then modify one or both to get back into balance.

• TerrXL
    TerrXL Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes on the rowing machine once a week and weights or some sort of bodyweight training 4 times a week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    depends on what your goals are …but based on your original post..I would say three days total body weight training with compound movements and cardio on off days and one day 100% rest….
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    BIG THANK YOU for all your input. I believe the answer is YES up your weights moron lol. Will start this tomoz and lift as heavy as I can manage (no slacking)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ^ i would suggest finding a structured program that has squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, etc built into it..

don't just build one on your own and wing it...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ^ i would suggest finding a structured program that has squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, etc built into it..

Yes. Don't just go wing it. Starting Strength is good, like I said. Stronglifts is a similar program that's free online-- you just have to get past the extremely infomercialesque vibe. Some people prefer New Rules of Lifting for Women because it offers more variety. I found it needlessly complicated. But go with a program.
  • OrangeBabelfish
    OrangeBabelfish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with all the cardio bashing that seems to be so cool currently.

In November and December, I lost inches and weight by doing ONLY cardio, and hitting it pretty hard 5-6 times a week, anywhere between 30mins generally, and 1session a week of approx 60mins.

I have now added weights in and reduced cardio to build muscle, but only doing cardio does not equal you looking like a skeleton. Endurance athletes do a heck of a lot more than what any of us do, since they do it full time, so none of us should worry about that unless we're hard hitting the endurance cardio for minimum 4 hrs a day!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It depends what you want to achieve. Just follow a program if you want to be organised. Try Jamie Eason or strong lifts.

Cardio and weights do different things. You need a balance of both.

Its cool on here to bash cardio, but they both have their place.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    TLB86 wrote: »
    Looks like I'll being Googling a good weights programme on lunch then.

Is it so bad to workout all muscle groups? Or are there any groups that go together?

Stronglifts 5x5, Starting strength, Strong curves, New Rules of Lifting... I would suggest starting with any one of these
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I do steady state cardio(running) because I want to run distance races. Other than that all I would do is lift heavy. So you would technically need 0% cardio, 110% weights.
    Say hello to your new best friend, the squat rack.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines

^ these guys post some really good beginner routines for weight lifting. Alot of them are super intense, but you don't have to do it all in one day if your just starting weight lifting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I feel like there are two camps - you got the cardio junkies and you got the weight lifters. youll get different opinions from both. I am a cardio nut - I run 6 days a week but I have to do strength training to make me a better runner. But I admit, its boring to me. But 3 times a week for half an hour is what I do and I run 40 minutes a day 6 days a week.
    -
    - That works for me though. Find a fitness program that you will stick to and go with it.

no you won't..

for a general fitness program - there should e a component of cardio AND resistance training out and out.

The more specialized you get in your goals- the more focused and zoned in you're training will be and the further away from "both" you'll get.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Follow an actual weightlifting program. Don't just go in and do random stuff. Follow an actual proper program.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    TLB86 wrote: »
    BIG THANK YOU for all your input. I believe the answer is YES up your weights moron lol. Will start this tomoz and lift as heavy as I can manage (no slacking)

I suspect you knew this all along but don't really want to do it. As someone earlier said the key is to find something you love doing and being consistent. I can recommend the Bodypump classes. I find them a fun way to do weights...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Well you can. Progressive overload is a easy concept to get down once you see it start to work. I never really did any programs in my lifting career until I decided that I want to be really strong. My lifting career is pretty long and my stats don't really show it.