Cardio vs Weights

Options

Replies

• maryetamfp
    maryetamfp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Look into heavy weight lifting definitely, I have been following StrongLifts 5x5 for a while and I've seen great results. I combine it with cardio as well for fitness/health/endurance purposes (and because I enjoy my Zumba and Body Combat classes) so for me it's the perfect mix. My schedule at the moment looks something like:

- Monday: cardio with some strength training (60 minutes Zumba class which includes a part of strength exercises using own body weight)
    - Tuesday: heavy lifting, SL 5x5 Workout A
    - Wednesday: relaxing swim, call it cardio if you want (45 min or so, about 1-1.5km)
    - Thursday: cardio/HIIT/strength (very intense 45-minute Body combat class which combines HIIT and core-strength exercises/movements) + SL 5x5 Workout B if I feel like it
    - Friday: rest (or SL 5x5 Workout B if not done on Thursday)
    - Saturday: rest/outdoors walking-hiking
    - Sunday: some Yoga in the morning if I feel like it and SL 5x5 Workout A in the afternoon

I'm definitely a big fan of heavy lifting, and it's something I really enjoy. I've shredded about 27kgs/4 stones since I started last March (2014) and feel better than ever :)

Good luck!
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    lift more weights. that much cardio is not necessary
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hello squat rack, I'm ready! :#

I love lunges, squats and deadlifts so I think I'll get along fine! I'm quite strong but had to quit weights back in August due to a shoulder injury. Now it's better I want to build back up but will start at 5-6kg (bumbells) for now. I will get a programme too, I won't just wing it
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    babason2 wrote: »
    TLB86 wrote: »
    BIG THANK YOU for all your input. I believe the answer is YES up your weights moron lol. Will start this tomoz and lift as heavy as I can manage (no slacking)

I suspect you knew this all along but don't really want to do it. As someone earlier said the key is to find something you love doing and being consistent. I can recommend the Bodypump classes. I find them a fun way to do weights...

I certainly DO want to do it but since I buggered my shoulder I had to rely on cardio and thought this was fine because cardio = weight loss. However, looking back now when I did a bit of weight work, my waist was shrinking more from weights + cardio but yes it was a mix of 2 x 20mins a week of random things I picked up in classes.

I will deffo look at the 5x5 as this looks great. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ looks GREAT and my kinda thing! A whole body workout with lifts I like!! I'll try reduce my cardio and/or fit this 3 x a week
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Heaviest thing I lift is my bike. Next heaviest thing I lift is a beer glass.

I never weight train.

I do 10-15hrs of cardio a week.

I don't look like a twiggy marathon runner though.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I never weight train.

skeletal. skeletal marathon runner.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I never weight train.

Interesting. You still workout which is better than the average joe. You also workout longer than most people do a week(including me).

• glevinso
    Options
    I just don't get the anti-cardio nonsense. Or why you think you can't lose weight doing it.

Well I guess I should say I do *some* strength-type training. 1hr a week of yoga, and swimming can be considered at least some form of resistance training. But why I would want to carry around pounds of extra muscle that doesn't actually do anything for me... other than allow me to lift more weights in a gym is beyond me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I just don't get the anti-cardio nonsense. Or why you think you can't lose weight doing it.

Well I guess I should say I do *some* strength-type training. 1hr a week of yoga, and swimming can be considered at least some form of resistance training. But why I would want to carry around pounds of extra muscle that doesn't actually do anything for me... other than allow me to lift more weights in a gym is beyond me.

has anyone in this thread gone "anti cardio" ....I really did not see any of that ...

most of the advice appeared to be for a balanced program of lifting and cardio on off days...
  • glevinso
    Options
    earlyxer wrote: »
    Many MFPer's are not going to like this.......but.... cardio is a terrible way to try to lose weight. I know it's been drummed into our skulls since we were kids but there's no proof that it works. Let me put it this way: imagine you were from Mars, and suddenly put on earth in human form. Out-of-shape, overweight human form. You walk into a gym and on your left were all the treadmills and ellipticals and on your right were the free weights. You look at all the people walking/running on the treadmills and then at all the people doing presses, deadlifts, and pullups. Which group is in better shape? Which group has less bodyfat and more muscle? Among which group would you want to count yourself as a member?

Try this: Google "marathon runner" and look in images - is that how you want to look, like a skeleton? Because the marathon runner is the epitome of long-duration cardio. I never do cardio and I think the results speak for themselves. I use calorie control to maintain body fat percentages and strength train to create lean mass, and I'm 51.

Whenever I feel the need to burn some calories - I just lift weights faster.

I was referring to this post. It is straight-up stupid
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

People usually say that because they say from what they ready that when you get to your weight goal with not really trying to maintain lean body mass that you actually have to go lower then your planned weight goal.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

People get caught up on things. Really again- the more specalized you get- the further away from one thing or the other you go. Most people benefit from SOME aspect- even marathon runners do benefit from SOME form of strength training- but you're right- you don't see big huge guys doing marathons- because it's extra weight they have to carry- so why do it. It's not useful to them.

I think the heart of 'anti-cardio' comes from the fact cardio has been shoved down our throats for years by Shape magazine and people finally realized it's not the be all end all.

I'm not 'anti cardio' (well- i don't LIKE doing cardio- but I have nothing against it other than I personally don't like doing it)... I fully support people doing either one/both- I just think you have to honestly take a look at what you're trying to accomplish and what's the best way to get there... .a lot of times cardio only isn't the answer.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    earlyxer wrote: »
    Many MFPer's are not going to like this.......but.... cardio is a terrible way to try to lose weight. I know it's been drummed into our skulls since we were kids but there's no proof that it works. Let me put it this way: imagine you were from Mars, and suddenly put on earth in human form. Out-of-shape, overweight human form. You walk into a gym and on your left were all the treadmills and ellipticals and on your right were the free weights. You look at all the people walking/running on the treadmills and then at all the people doing presses, deadlifts, and pullups. Which group is in better shape? Which group has less bodyfat and more muscle? Among which group would you want to count yourself as a member?

Try this: Google "marathon runner" and look in images - is that how you want to look, like a skeleton? Because the marathon runner is the epitome of long-duration cardio. I never do cardio and I think the results speak for themselves. I use calorie control to maintain body fat percentages and strength train to create lean mass, and I'm 51.

Whenever I feel the need to burn some calories - I just lift weights faster.

I was referring to this post. It is straight-up stupid

I missed that..

yes, stupid...
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I would add more resistance training. This can take many forms so try a few until you find one you like - I use kettlebells, dumbbells and those big squishy pilates balls to do most of mine.
    -
    I love cardio as I do a lot of running, and I've noticed such an improvement in my ability to progress as a runner since I started regularly doing a structured resistance training programme, both in terms of speed and endurance. I also have not been injured. I do really think it's helped me.

Plus, my bum looks much better (working on it looking MAGNIFICIENT).
  • glevinso
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

People get caught up on things. Really again- the more specalized you get- the further away from one thing or the other you go. Most people benefit from SOME aspect- even marathon runners do benefit from SOME form of strength training- but you're right- you don't see big huge guys doing marathons- because it's extra weight they have to carry- so why do it. It's not useful to them.

I think the heart of 'anti-cardio' comes from the fact cardio has been shoved down our throats for years by Shape magazine and people finally realized it's not the be all end all.

I'm not 'anti cardio' (well- i don't LIKE doing cardio- but I have nothing against it other than I personally don't like doing it)... I fully support people doing either one/both- I just think you have to honestly take a look at what you're trying to accomplish and what's the best way to get there... .a lot of times cardio only isn't the answer.

I think it is probably obvious where I am coming from, based on my profile picture. Training for Ironman-distance triathlon is one of those things that simply doesn't benefit at all from carrying around any scrap of extra weight. Fat or muscle. Of course unless you have a specific goal in mind like a marathon, or ironman or whatever, a more balanced approach is probably going to yield better results.

I have much larger biceps at the moment than I want. They look pretty good and muscular, but it's weight I don't need. That said, I am certainly not about to purposely let them waste away.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    agreed... and like I said- more specialized- the further away from "general training you get" and the more likely you are to move to one end of the spectrum.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    So you're doing all cardio except for 20 minutes a week? 20 minutes a week of strength most likely is of no benefit to you. You might as well skip it.

My advice is to reduce the cardio and replace some of it with more strength training, preferably about 30 minutes 3x per week (or more). And I suggest lifting heavy (for you) using compound lifts with free weights. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, bent-over rows, etc. There's no reason for you to be doing isolation lifts like bicep curls at this point.

As for how much cardio is NEEDED - none. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; exercise is for your health. It's ideal to have a good balance of cardio and strength in your workout routine. Cardio keeps your heart and lungs in good shape, and so does strength training, but strength training also helps you retain the muscle you have while you lose weight.

this ^ best advice.. well said!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Truth.

OP, it's going to really come down to what your goals are. I do about 30-90 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week, depending on how the programs that I'm doing fall and when certain classes are offered. I personally love cardio.

But I also strength train for 30-120 minutes 3-4 times a week. This works for me. It may be detrimental to someone else's goals. You're just going to have to find your sweet spot. But I do recommend doing both. I also love the forms of strength training that I do (I stick to bodyweight training).

Also, cardio doesn't have to be running or spinning, it can be a 20 minute walk at lunch.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So you're doing all cardio except for 20 minutes a week? 20 minutes a week of strength most likely is of no benefit to you. You might as well skip it.

My advice is to reduce the cardio and replace some of it with more strength training, preferably about 30 minutes 3x per week (or more). And I suggest lifting heavy (for you) using compound lifts with free weights. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, bent-over rows, etc. There's no reason for you to be doing isolation lifts like bicep curls at this point.

As for how much cardio is NEEDED - none. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; exercise is for your health. It's ideal to have a good balance of cardio and strength in your workout routine. Cardio keeps your heart and lungs in good shape, and so does strength training, but strength training also helps you retain the muscle you have while you lose weight.

no, not 20 mins per WEEK, I do 30 mins x 3 times a week.

That's not what you put in the original question. You put:

Mon - 200 cals on Stairmaster, 45mins Boxfit
    Tues- Rest
    Wed - 200 cals on Stairmaster, 45 mins Spin
    Thurs - 80ish mins cardio (either Jogging/Spin or a mixture)
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 600 cals cardio (mixture), 20mins weights (biceps, push-ups, lateral, abs 3etc)
    Sun - Rest or 45 mins Spin

Stairmaster is cardio. Boxfit is cardio. Spin is cardio...you put "20mins weights" on Saturday and there's no strength training anywhere else. How do you figure you're doing 30 minutes 3 times per week?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oops...posted twice.