Paleo: Worst diet?

Options
Interesting...the panel of 20 health experts ranked the 35 most popular diets and paleo came in last.

Thoughts?

Link

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    It is a diet that continues to evolve......... B)
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

*drum roll, cymbal crash*
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I am testing out a pseudo - paleo diet right now. I add in pseudo grains, as I am a long distance runner and still need a fair amount of carbs. I've worked with a nutritionist and developed a plan that closely mimics the paleo concepts. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits, quality meat and no dairy. I don't find it hard to follow. I"m sure there are studies and opinions that can dispute every diet. I know I lost most of my weight following WW. However, doing so, I developed some really poor habits and relationship with food. It became about getting the most volume for the least amount of points, and I was eating a ton of processed stuff. It took me a long time to recover from what workouts I was doing at the time, I lacked energy, I had acne, and my hair and nails were brittle and weak.

Thanks for sharing the link! It's always good to read more and try to expand our box of thinking!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* I can't find out the experts' credentials and who funded the study.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's a crappy list anyways but no doubt the paleo diet is a fad diet
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options

Follow the links and you find this list of those experts http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/experts
  • Marz009
    Marz009 Posts: 26
    Options
    they ranked the most popular diets, not the most effective ones. its probably the least popular because it avoids things like baked goods, sweets, and the healthier alternatives.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in....to see were this goes...

and is it really that surprising that a 'diet' based on caveman has not evolved...???
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Interesting. I am testing out a pseudo - paleo diet right now. I add in pseudo grains, as I am a long distance runner and still need a fair amount of carbs. I've worked with a nutritionist and developed a plan that closely mimics the paleo concepts. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits, quality meat and no dairy. I don't find it hard to follow. I"m sure there are studies and opinions that can dispute every diet. I know I lost most of my weight following WW. However, doing so, I developed some really poor habits and relationship with food. It became about getting the most volume for the least amount of points, and I was eating a ton of processed stuff. It took me a long time to recover from what workouts I was doing at the time, I lacked energy, I had acne, and my hair and nails were brittle and weak.

Thanks for sharing the link! It's always good to read more and try to expand our box of thinking!

if you are eating grains it is not paleo ..

and LOL at pseudo paleo....but I guess that makes sense since paleo is pseudo science...

why don't you just eat a regular diet with carbs then ..????
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Ha!! :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

What are pseudo grains?
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't really get the Paleo diet. First of all, it's supposed to be copying the diet of the Paleolithic era. It's emulating what people ate back then, and what they had available. My issue is that our lifestyle is nothing similar to what it was back then. We don't spend hours every day gathering our food, we don't run 30 miles, chasing and animal, and then waiting it out for days sometimes, to then have a big feast (mostly meat), which has to supply our bodies with enough energy for the upcoming weeks, because for that time, it's back to foraging and eating nuts and plants.

We sit on our butts working or in the car for hours every day. Even those who run 10 + miles a day, it's just not the same as it was back then.
    So for me, this diet makes no sense.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It's not a study. It's an opinion poll of nutrition 'experts'. It's done every year.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't really get the Paleo diet. First of all, it's supposed to be copying the diet of the Paleolithic era. It's emulating what people ate back then, and what they had available. My issue is that our lifestyle is nothing similar to what it was back then. We don't spend hours every day gathering our food, we don't run 30 miles, chasing and animal, and then waiting it out for days sometimes, to then have a big feast (mostly meat), which has to supply our bodies with enough energy for the upcoming weeks, because for that time, it's back to foraging and eating nuts and plants.

We sit on our butts working or in the car for hours every day. Even those who run 10 + miles a day, it's just not the same as it was back then.
    So for me, this diet makes no sense.

well apparently the caveman style of life and eating is far to superior than anything we can hope for in 2015....
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    *yawns*
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Marz009 wrote: »
    they ranked the most popular diets, not the most effective ones. its probably the least popular because it avoids things like baked goods, sweets, and the healthier alternatives.
    They ranked them by effectiveness and nutritional value. They selected the most popular diets to be a part of the study.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They tell you why...
    They also took issue with the more popular Paleo diet on each of the criteria evaluated. It scored lowest in the long-term weight loss category and is considered “extremely” difficult to follow.

The panel praised Paleo's emphasis on veggies and lean meat but disapproved of cutting out dairy and grain completely. One panelist said, “The risk of nutrient deficiency is real, unless the person takes a multivitamin.”

If you're doing true paleo, it's pretty difficult for most people to stick to...it's very restrictive and I could easily see how people could/would miss out on certain nutrients.

Plus, why are beans the devil?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    They tell you why...
    They also took issue with the more popular Paleo diet on each of the criteria evaluated. It scored lowest in the long-term weight loss category and is considered “extremely” difficult to follow.

The panel praised Paleo's emphasis on veggies and lean meat but disapproved of cutting out dairy and grain completely. One panelist said, “The risk of nutrient deficiency is real, unless the person takes a multivitamin.”

If you're doing true paleo, it's pretty difficult for most people to stick to...it's very restrictive and I could easily see how people could/would miss out on certain nutrients.

Plus, why are beans the devil?[/quote]

because gas?
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    They tell you why...

Plus, why are beans the devil?[/
    double post
  • bluelaceangel
    bluelaceangel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My son and daughter in law became very devoted to the paleo diet.. even gave a book on it for Christmas about 4 yrs ago... they are also heavily into CROSS FIT. They work out daily and teach it.

Daughter in law became preg and the doc told them they must change their diet if she wanted a healthy baby and to ease up on cross fit. ..

They have switched to what is called the CLEAN EATING DIET.

MY POINT IS ANY DIET IS JUST WHAT YOU DECIDE TO EAT... It has been proven if we eat healthy and practice portion control we are doing the right thing for our bodies. . Weight Watchers is a mirror to the American Diabetic Meal Plan as well as the American Heart Association Diet...you just need to pick one that you can live with..

The Paleo Diet has some good recipes which can be used in other diet plans. The downside is they do not control potions and it is very heavy in fat. The idea is eating good fat over bad.. problem is if you have diabetes your body does not process fat easily. ..

Anyway thatv is my 2cents worth