Winter Workouts?

2»

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I think when it's so cold the air hurts your face and lungs it's time to look at other options. I don't really like to be uncomfortable so if it's too cold or too hot I complain. Unfortunately for me I spend my winters in Oregon (17 this morning) and summers in Cali (112 last summer while I was pregnant) I don't know why I can't do it the other way around!!! as for actual suggestions, if you don't have the space for equipment I'd look at DVDs that don't require it like 30DS or some of the beachbody ones........ I also have a pole, it doesn't take up much room, it's fun and is a great full body workout.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Have you tried the fitstar app? Mostly body weight exercises you can do at home. It syncs with mfp too.

Oh and i see you live in the same town as me. I like my gym (planet fitness). Nice people, and none of the competative judgy crap you see at some gyms.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Skiing!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    My outdoor walking has been taking a hit due to the cold, too. I still go out - just for 15-20 minutes at a time and not the 90 minutes at a time I was doing with the dog before the arctic weather came in. It's been below zero actual temp all week, plus wind - I do layer, but there is still some exposed skin on my face. It's also icy and I am old enough to be careful about falls. All that being said, I am accepting that I will log fewer miles outside probably until March at least. So I am eating proportionately. And at least considering dragging myself to the Y~
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Some of the best at home workouts don't require much or any equipment. Pinterest that ****.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    youre not too big to go to the gym.
    while you may feel like people will be watching, chances are....they wont.

you want this to be the year you love your body?
    love it today and go to the gym.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i still run outside. i just dress for the weather.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Go walk around the mall. Leave your wallet in your car if you're an impulse shopper
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Bundle up and get outside.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    i live in tn, so we're about in the 20's. i'll try layering up and walking! :) thanks!

That's cute. Up here I actually warm up going inside to the ice rink.

20's is no excuse to not go outside, thin layers.
  • I get cold induced asthma and can't workout outside if its even the slightest bit cold. So during the winter I switch my jogs to a treadmill (thankfully my work has one in the office, so I can just use that) and go to group fitness classes, my favorite is yoga. I also use the fitstar yoga or fitstar trainer apps on my ipad. For like 40 dollars a year they give you personalized workout sessions that you can do at home.
  • bean_jean
    bean_jean Posts: 12 Member
    I am still walking outside but as the snow thaws and refreezes its getting more and more slippery. I'm 64 and somewhat afraid of falls. Today I took a walking stick and that helped. I've been trying some workouts on Hulu. They also help. When I feel OK about driving I go to the gym and really enjoy that. When I don't want to drive I use free weights at home.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    I cross country ski.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Also: Shoveling snow burns a LOT of calories. Think of that next time you have to clean your walkway or dig your car out from a snowbank.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    i live in tn, so we're about in the 20's. i'll try layering up and walking! :) thanks!

That's cute. Up here I actually warm up going inside to the ice rink.

20's is no excuse to not go outside, thin layers.

Who says it isn't an excuse?? How do you know what kind of cold someone could tolerate? There aren't any layers that would keep me personally warm in 20 degree weather...

There are people in the world (quite a few actually) that do not like nor want to be in cold and for those that love it... Great for you!! Keep shoveling while I stick my toes in sand lol