I'm "skinny fat" and stuck in a rut

Options
So ive been working out for a few months with little to show for it. No matter how much I do, I still look lanky everywhere but my stomach has a very substantial amount of fat that never goes away. It seems like everything I eat goes straight there. I have muscle everywhere, but it doesn't seem to show through. I know that my diet is to blame, but I've never gotten the hang of nutrition and I know this is why I'm stuck. I don't know how to manage my nutrition or if I should eat to bulk or lose fat, Id appreciate any advice!
I work out about 4-5 times a week and hardly do any cardio. I mostly focus on strength training.

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. You need to change your diet. A healthy diet is a must for a fit lean look. You've got the exercise down.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what are your current stats = height/weight/age/gender/? Do you know your body fat %? how long have you been working out for? How many calories a day are you consuming?
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I've been told cardio is needed to lose weight.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jeanmk56 wrote: »

You have been told wrong

A Calorie Deficit is needed to lose weight
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    You've been lied to.
    OP, do you log your food accurately? If so, if you open your diary you might get better advice.
  • stephaniejmnz
    stephaniejmnz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    what are your current stats = height/weight/age/gender/? Do you know your body fat %? how long have you been working out for? How many calories a day are you consuming?

I'm 20, female, 5'4 and I weigh 117. Last time I checked by body fat % was about 6 months ago and it was at 22%. At that time I weighed about 122 though so I'm sure it's changed.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

no it's not. cardio increases how much you can eat while still maintaning a deficit, but it does not make you lose weight. for some people, doing cardio helps them lose weight because they don't increase what they eat to compensate for it, but for others, they tend to increase what they eat too much for it to help at all.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Abs are made in the kitchen. You need to change your diet. A healthy diet is a must for a fit lean look. You've got the exercise down.

Well, abs are made in the kitchen in that diet is ultimately what helps shed body fat %. Diet, as in, HOW much you eat. The quality or type of food makes no difference.

OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Ultimately, eat at a small deficit (since you appear to have only one last area to lose any drastic fat from), do some form of progressive lifting and be patient. It absolutely sucks that belly fat seems to linger for as long as it does, but hang in there.

I'd add, too... sometimes food *does* matter if you're dealing with an intolerance you might not know about. It won't be making you gain fat at any certain rate, but inflammation from it can lead to bloating that might seem like "stubborn fat." Worth checking out, in addition to posture (like Anterior Pelvic Tilt).
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

I'm 20, female, 5'4 and I weigh 117. Last time I checked by body fat % was about 6 months ago and it was at 22%. At that time I weighed about 122 though so I'm sure it's changed.

do you have a picture?
  • firstsip
    Options

Whoops, just saw this.

So, I have to ask: would you be willing to share pictures? There's a common thread when healthy weight 20 year old women come on and say something like, "I'm skinny fat!" or, "My thighs are too big!" Sometimes, it's all in our perception. And sometimes, our self-perception can be wrong.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

You sound relatively small already, it might be worth considering bulk and cut cycles in conjunction with your lifting or at least eating at maintenance and focusing on reomposition (that will be a very long process).

Are you doing a progressive lifting routine, or did you design your own lifting program?

ETA: An example of how gaining more weight but as muscle may make you like your body more:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    yn9jl2ikviyy.jpg
    1pzfsgcxvpiz.jpg
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    Embarrassing but here Ya go.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree that abs are made in the kitchen. and strength training is very important, but you should probably up the cardio some too....you have to find that balance!

Good luck!
  • firstsip
    Options
    yn9jl2ikviyy.jpg
    1pzfsgcxvpiz.jpg

Well, my first reaction is: tight shorts and posture issues. Otherwise, previous recommendations of small deficit + progressive lifting still apply.
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    firstsip wrote: »

Whoops, just saw this.

So, I have to ask: would you be willing to share pictures? There's a common thread when healthy weight 20 year old women come on and say something like, "I'm skinny fat!" or, "My thighs are too big!" Sometimes, it's all in our perception. And sometimes, our self-perception can be wrong.

I by no means think I'm fat. I actually want to gain weight and muscle! It's just that I don't know how to go about it nutrition-wise.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

Well, abs are made in the kitchen in that diet is ultimately what helps shed body fat %. Diet, as in, HOW much you eat. The quality or type of food makes no difference.

OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Ultimately, eat at a small deficit (since you appear to have only one last area to lose any drastic fat from), do some form of progressive lifting and be patient. It absolutely sucks that belly fat seems to linger for as long as it does, but hang in there.

I'd add, too... sometimes food *does* matter if you're dealing with an intolerance you might not know about. It won't be making you gain fat at any certain rate, but inflammation from it can lead to bloating that might seem like "stubborn fat." Worth checking out, in addition to posture (like Anterior Pelvic Tilt).

I disagree on quality, but everyone is different. If I stay in my calorie range and eat what I'd think is unhealthy for an extended period of time, I may not gain weight, but its immediately noticeable body comp wise though my exercise routine is the same. .
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    After seeing pics, I'd say eat at a slight deficit or maintenance and lift heavy. Again, I'd recommend a beginning full body program with progressive resistance. Strong lifts, starting strength are good choices.

What are you currently doing during your weight training?
  • firstsip
    Options

Whoops, just saw this.

I by no means think I'm fat. I actually want to gain weight and muscle! It's just that I don't know how to go about it nutrition-wise.

Ah, then protein is the macro to focus on the most. Most recommend roughly .8-1g per pound of LBM as part of that small deficit. There's a group on here called "Eat, Train, Progress" that is very helpful to read for what to do/guidance (outside of some of the lesser quality suggestions on the main forums).

Otherwise, try looking into leangains.com and other body recomposition resources. This method is essentially focusing on adequate/high protein+maintenance calories+lifting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    slight deficit and lift.
    no way you're low 20's body fat.