I'm "skinny fat" and stuck in a rut

Options

Replies

• khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You also need to do cardio. Cardio actually helps you burn your fat. Unfortunately doing crunches and such do nothing to help rid the body of belly fat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You also need to do cardio. Cardio actually helps you burn your fat. Unfortunately doing crunches and such do nothing to help rid the body of belly fat.

no it doesn't.

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So ive been working out for a few months with little to show for it. No matter how much I do, I still look lanky everywhere but my stomach has a very substantial amount of fat that never goes away. It seems like everything I eat goes straight there. I have muscle everywhere, but it doesn't seem to show through. I know that my diet is to blame, but I've never gotten the hang of nutrition and I know this is why I'm stuck. I don't know how to manage my nutrition or if I should eat to bulk or lose fat, Id appreciate any advice!
    I work out about 4-5 times a week and hardly do any cardio. I mostly focus on strength training.

I know I'm going to get a ton of hate for this, but I'll just tell you the truth. I was "skinny-fat" too after dropping 25lbs -- until October when I started doing Isagenix (http://mattmay.isagenix.com/). Then it was ab city! And now I'm even putting bulk on top of that. My workouts didn't change, but what I was eating significantly did. No one wants to hear about programs/products like that on here, but it worked for me and my lifestyle. Not "selling" . . . I just wish people wouldn't have convinced me that this won't work or that it was a some kind of scheme when clearly it does for me (and then a ton of people I know). It made everything so much easier, and sometimes that's worth the money.

I can't help the stuff is only sold by those use it. I wish we we'd just help each other out and be happy for each others successes. Sorry, just had to rant.

Nice sales pitch but

I call BS
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I'm cracking up at that post, but at least he admitted he knew it was coming.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My workouts didn't change, but what I was eating significantly did.

no one said it wouldn't work- we just think it's a waste of money b/c you could have done the same thing without you- all you did was great a calorie deficit.

Because honey- you didn't put on hardly any muscle. Great job on your loss- but it's not a miracle product- you lost body fat. plain and simple.

ps- definitely time for a bulk. you're gunz make me le sad.
  • stephaniejmnz
    stephaniejmnz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Abs are made in the kitchen. You need to change your diet. A healthy diet is a must for a fit lean look. You've got the exercise down.
    Can we get some confirmation on the wording here. What do you mean by healthy diet? Because all I ever read is deficit deficit deficit. Is there more to this "healthy" diet? If so someone share because I'd like to get clued in on the secret too.

Yes!^ I get so many people telling me "eat healthy" but there are SO many different interpretations of this. I have such a hard time getting a diet down ( not diet to lose weight, I mean general nutrition ) it's my biggest setback.
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    actually JoRocka Cardio does help burn belly fat.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. You need to change your diet. A healthy diet is a must for a fit lean look. You've got the exercise down.
    Can we get some confirmation on the wording here. What do you mean by healthy diet? Because all I ever read is deficit deficit deficit. Is there more to this "healthy" diet? If so someone share because I'd like to get clued in on the secret too.

I don't want to get into a war of words on here. So tiresome! I just know what works for me and what, in my opinion, is best for optimal health (not just weight loss as I am no longer trying to lose weight. I can't eat a lot of junk food even with within my calorie goals and maintain my lean look. What works for me is high quality food. Lots of fresh veggies, some fruit, low fat/limited dairy, lean proteins, whole grains, limited processed foods, little added sugar. And that's what I'm sticking to. Not only does eating like that keep me lean, but it helps me achieve my personal goals.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

It does not target "belly fat". It increases the number of calories burned. If you keep your calories constant and add in cardio, then yes, you will lose more weight because you are burning more calories. However, it is not necessary for everyone to lose weight, you can create a calorie deficit through calorie intake alone.

Some people loathe cardio and they refuse to do it. They can still lose weight. Other people add in cardio but eat a lot more food and end up not losing weight (they are eating more than they burn).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Yes!^ I get so many people telling me "eat healthy" but there are SO many different interpretations of this. I have such a hard time getting a diet down ( not diet to lose weight, I mean general nutrition ) it's my biggest setback.

Here's a really great post about getting nice abs: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

I don't want to get into a war of words on here. So tiresome! I just know what works for me and what, in my opinion, is best for optimal health (not just weight loss as I am no longer trying to lose weight. I can't eat a lot of junk food even with within my calorie goals and maintain my lean look. What works for me is high quality food. Lots of fresh veggies, some fruit, low fat/limited dairy, lean proteins, whole grains, limited processed foods, little added sugar. And that's what I'm sticking to. Not only does eating like that keep me lean, but it helps me achieve my personal goals.

No war of words from me. I'm looking for genuine answers. I'm sure the answers will vary. I guess my point is people swear up and down getting abs is easy. Queue the "eat at a deficit" chant. Then you'll read in another thread how insanely hard it is and how if you do it you should practically be nailed to a cross. OK, so what did you do special? I thought it was just eat at a deficit? Then you read stuff like what you said. You need to eat "healthy." So people with abs, how about a little clarity? Is it just a deficit? Is it some other trick? <insert default "lift heavy" answer>

Well eat healthy and do a lot of core exercises, which everyone should be doing anyway. Strong core = far fewer injuries doing whatever you do exercise/sports wise. And core is not simply crunches. I've been through PT a couple of times, so have a core program that was designed just for me (I run, cycle, and am training to get started in triathlons).
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Actually that's not true.

I will give you credit for using that profile picture. Takes some guts. Kudos to you.

Can you lose fat if you do a bunch of cardio but don't have a caloric deficit?

1. Cardio only helps you lose fat in the sense that it helps you keep a calorie deficit. You can't lose fat if you don't have a calorie deficit.
    2. Crunches are great for toning, but to get abs you need to get rid of the layer of fat on top.
    3. You cannot decide to lose fat only on your belly; fat comes off wherever it wants to. Any diets, exercise programmes or supplements that try to tell you otherwise are BS.

Take a peek at this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • ehuschka
    ehuschka Posts: 47 Member
    Options

False.
    < Prime example of somebody who loves cardio (and half marathons), but hasn't lost a pound in a year. I know for a fact its not because I'm not doing enough cardio. Just awful at moderation of my food intake.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Cardio helps to burn fat AND muscle (if you're in the higher heart rate zones) only when you're in caloric deficit. It doesn't get burned from any specific area. You can't spot reduce. Cardio has its benefits but it actually gets in the way of building muscle and getting the body fat percentage down if you don't understand what you're doing or how you're fuelling.

I've been there many times.
  • zSandman
    zSandman Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Cardio helps to burn fat AND muscle (if you're in the higher heart rate zones) only when you're in caloric deficit. It doesn't get burned from any specific area. You can't spot reduce. Cardio has its benefits but it actually gets in the way of building muscle and getting the body fat percentage down if you don't understand what you're doing or how you're fuelling.

ayyylmao. Cardio doesnt burn muscle, it just increases tdee leading to muscle loss due to improper dieting.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

zSandman wrote: »

ayyylmao. Cardio doesnt burn muscle, it just increases tdee leading to muscle loss due to improper dieting.

Can you both elaborate, please?
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Good grief, you guys.

Keep it simple. Track everything you're eating. Log the calories. However many you typically eat, try to cut it by 250 per day. Either that, or add (an average of) 250 cals/day of cardio, like 30 minutes light jogging or moderate biking. That's in addition to your strength training.

You should lose about 0.5 lbs/week of fat. It looks like you only need to lose between 5 and 10 lbs anyway, so it's normal for progress to be slow.

Good luck!