dieting over workouts

Hey guys, so if im not a very physically active person, would I still be able to lose weight if I reduce the amohnt I eat or rather control what I eat? I can do the occasional sit up and crunch etc. But i still wouldnt call that "working out" per se.

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    yup.. losing weight is all about the food part :) exercise just gets you fit :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Yes
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Yes, I lost all of my weight that way. I think people generally recommend doing some weight lifting to help prevent you from losing muscle mass, but it is up to you! You can lose weight with only watching diet.
  • Great thanks guys! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Lose weight by controlling calories. Feel better by exercising.

I get a lot more kick out of my exercise over counting calories these days. But that's me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    You lose weight in the kitchen. Exercise is for your health and to help increase that deficit.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    NoelieKH wrote: »
    Hey guys, so if im not a very physically active person, would I still be able to lose weight if I reduce the amohnt I eat or rather control what I eat? I can do the occasional sit up and crunch etc. But i still wouldnt call that "working out" per se.

Like everyone else says, weight loss is almost all food, exercise is for fitness and extra calories.

That said, with only 11 pounds to lose, you might still want to incorporate some strength training or you still might not be happy when you reach your goal.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    And more exercise = more you can eat :) So you don't even feel like you're having to cut back on food!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    NoelieKH wrote: »

I've lost 10kgs ( 22lbs ) in 2mths with zero exercise.

• hotcoffee692
    hotcoffee692 Posts: 167 Member
    I just read this article yesterday -I think it does a really good job explaining why diet is a more important factor than exercise: http://vitals.lifehacker.com/exercise-vs-diet-which-is-more-important-for-weight-l-1677532039/+whitsongordon
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Yes, you can lose weight just be eating less. Or, you can eat a bit more if you exercise more! Cheers!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Its about 80% diet. It can be 100% diet if you dont want to get fit and arent bothered about being in shape.

The people who say exercising is just about getting fit are wrong. It depends on how much you do and it can have a significant beneficial effect on supporting and making a diet more effective.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Diet is the main key. Unless you weight 250lbs then it can be 50/50.