ON vs. PES Select vs. Cellucor vs. Other?

Options
Okay, so I am coming to the end of my ON GS 100% Whey tub and I was looking to try something new! Overall, out of the brands I have tried, I like ON and it is a good price point. However, if another brand tasted better with similar (or better) stats, I would be willing to pay a higher price.

There are more high quality, reasonably priced options on the market than there used to be, so I am not sure ON is an obvious pick anymore. I have seen good reviews on PES Select, but I have only used whey powders. How different are blends? I also saw some good reviews for Cellucor.

Pretty much I am looking for a new powder to try and open to suggestions! :) Or if you think sticking with ON is best, I would like to hear from you, too!

Your input is welcomed and appreciated <3

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Try natural factors whey factors grass fed. I just switched over to it last week , and I find it is the best tasting easiest to digest protein powder I've ever had. (no gas,nobloating,bubblyguts). It mixes incredibly well with water, almond milkd cereal, oats you name it.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    Try natural factors whey factors grass fed. I just switched over to it last week , and I find it is the best tasting easiest to digest protein powder I've ever had. (no gas,nobloating,bubblyguts). It mixes incredibly well with water, almond milkd cereal, oats you name it.

Thank you for weighing in! :)
  • rustypep
    rustypep Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear a few ideas as well. Most of what I have is ON. I do use Rule 1 chocolate fudge whey which is darn good. I have heard that the Cellucor flavoring is pretty good and more updated. I tried some of their BCAA's and it was the best tasting fruit punch I have had. I do want to try some more natural stuff as all the Sucralose and artificial sweeteners can't be good for us. All of the bcaa's have them too.
  • morkiemama
    Options
    rustypep wrote: »
    I would love to hear a few ideas as well. Most of what I have is ON. I do use Rule 1 chocolate fudge whey which is darn good. I have heard that the Cellucor flavoring is pretty good and more updated. I tried some of their BCAA's and it was the best tasting fruit punch I have had. I do want to try some more natural stuff as all the Sucralose and artificial sweeteners can't be good for us. All of the bcaa's have them too.

I have heard that about Cellucor, too. I would like to hear from people that have tried it (and maybe even previously had ON to compare). :)

I am also interested in learning about blends rather than straight whey and if it would be an option for me.

Thanks for coming to the discussion. I hope more people weigh in. <3
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I do want to try some more natural stuff as all the Sucralose and artificial sweeteners

I use ON Natural because it has no artificial sweetener. It mixes very well and taste fine. I don't like the aftertaste of Sucralose.

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    If price isn't an issue, then use ON. It's good stuff, real top quality. The only reason I don't use it is because of the price.
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The ON Gold Standard 100% Casein tastes good; but, I've found that it doesn't mix well, though, except in smaller amounts. I mix it with water (from room temps to warm; i.e., 68F - 90F): typically, ~50 g / 500 ml. (Before bedtime)

And, the ON Gold Standard 100% Whey tastes good and mixes well. I mix with water or almond milk (cold, ~40F): ~40g - 50g / 500 ml. (After getting up in the mornings)
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I love ON GS - I've tried probably 10 flavors and most of them are delicious! If you like it, and it works for you price-wise and calorie/macro-wise, stick with it! It's hard enough finding a brand you enjoy the taste of!

Currently finishing up my 5lb container of Chocolate Mint and have a 5lb container of Chocolate Coconut ready to go (already tried it once - amazing, as usual!)

I order from Amazon.com - save a few bucks, get free shipping, it's a win-win
  • morkiemama
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    I do want to try some more natural stuff as all the Sucralose and artificial sweeteners

I use ON Natural because it has no artificial sweetener. It mixes very well and taste fine. I don't like the aftertaste of Sucralose.

That fake sweet after-taste gets me on certain favors, so this might be something to look into. :) I imagine it alters the macro makeup though.
  • morkiemama
    Options
    If price isn't an issue, then use ON. It's good stuff, real top quality. The only reason I don't use it is because of the price.

Thanks! I appreciate the input. :)
  • morkiemama
    Options
    G8rRay wrote: »
    The ON Gold Standard 100% Casein tastes good; but, I've found that it doesn't mix well, though, except in smaller amounts. I mix it with water (from room temps to warm; i.e., 68F - 90F): typically, ~50 g / 500 ml. (Before bedtime)

And, the ON Gold Standard 100% Whey tastes good and mixes well. I mix with water or almond milk (cold, ~40F): ~40g - 50g / 500 ml. (After getting up in the mornings)

Thanks for the temperature suggestions!

Would you recommend rotating casein into my regimen? I know that it is slower absorbing, but that is about it. I also know it is thicker, which I imagine makes consumption worse ha ha. :)

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Cellucor has some very good flavors- I haven't tried ON so I can't weigh in on them-. I use the cellucor Molten Chocolate. It's 29.99 for a 2lb right now on Bodybuilding. It's the only protein powder I have found that I can mix with just water. Hope that helps :)

t3aaftezzlsg.png
  • morkiemama
    Options
    I love ON GS - I've tried probably 10 flavors and most of them are delicious! If you like it, and it works for you price-wise and calorie/macro-wise, stick with it! It's hard enough finding a brand you enjoy the taste of!

Currently finishing up my 5lb container of Chocolate Mint and have a 5lb container of Chocolate Coconut ready to go (already tried it once - amazing, as usual!)

Can you recommend any flavors? I liked the extreme milk chocolate and the strawberry, but didn't care for the double Dutch chocolate (I think it was). I know some flavors can get scary in protein ha ha.

You have a very valid point. Why switch if it is working and there are flavors to try? I think I was getting caught up in the hype of new kid on the block. :)

I bought previously from GNC, but I will need to check out Amazon (love them)! I could even shop through Amazon smile and donate. :)

• morkiemama
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Cellucor has some very good flavors- I haven't tried ON so I can't weigh in on them-. I use the cellucor Molten Chocolate. It's 29.99 for a 2lb right now on Bodybuilding. It's the only protein powder I have found that I can mix with just water. Hope that helps :)

t3aaftezzlsg.png

Thanks for joining in! I am still open to hearing from non-ON folks, but there do sure seem to be a lot of them lol!

I have heard such good things about Cellucor's taste, but have yet to see anyone compare it to a brand I have tried. I know there is a promotion going on, so I was looking into it.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    morkiemama wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »

t3aaftezzlsg.png

Thanks for joining in! I am still open to hearing from non-ON folks, but there do sure seem to be a lot of them lol!

I have heard such good things about Cellucor's taste, but have yet to see anyone compare it to a brand I have tried. I know there is a promotion going on, so I was looking into it.

I been with Cellucor for awhile. I used to use Epiq which was really good, just not worth the price tag. On Bodybuilding.com you can order "sample" packs which have 4-5 servings in them or I think GNC has them.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Trutein is worth the money. Also Muscle Pharm Combat PP is good.
  • ActuarialChef
    edited January 2015
    Options

Can you recommend any flavors? I liked the extreme milk chocolate and the strawberry, but didn't care for the double Dutch chocolate (I think it was). I know some flavors can get scary in protein ha ha.

You have a very valid point. Why switch if it is working and there are flavors to try? I think I was getting caught up in the hype of new kid on the block. :)

I bought previously from GNC, but I will need to check out Amazon (love them)! I could even shop through Amazon smile and donate. :)

Sure! Let's see... (going through my Amazon order history to refresh my memory):

Cookies & Cream -- ehh. Not crazy about the small chunks of cookie in the shake. Good flavor though. Might be good if you're the type that makes frozen shakes with protein powder, frozen milk/water, etc.

Vanilla Ice Cream -- good, but a little plain. Better for mixing with other things (i.e. baking)

Double Rich Chocolate -- I thought this one was good, but had a strange after-taste

Banana Cream -- so so so good!

Caramel Toffee Fudge -- another one with a slight after-taste, but I think it might have just been the toffee part.

Cake Batter -- 5 stars! This one was delicious!

Chocolate Mint -- tastes like a thin mint -- sooo good

Chocolate Coconut -- tastes like a mounds bar. delicious blended with 2 frozen bananas + coconut greek yogurt + cocoa powder for a 500-calorie BEAST of a shake (this is what I had last night haha)

Haven't tried any of the "fruity" flavors besides banana, because I can't imagine drinking them. Although the strawberry might taste like strawberry milk, which I loved as a kid haha. Maybe I'll try that one next...
  • morkiemama
    Options

Sure! Let's see... (going through my Amazon order history to refresh my memory):

Cookies & Cream -- ehh. Not crazy about the small chunks of cookie in the shake. Good flavor though. Might be good if you're the type that makes frozen shakes with protein powder, frozen milk/water, etc.

Vanilla Ice Cream -- good, but a little plain. Better for mixing with other things (i.e. baking)

Double Rich Chocolate -- I thought this one was good, but had a strange after-taste

Caramel Toffee Fudge -- another one with a slight after-taste, but I think it might have just been the toffee part.

Chocolate Coconut -- tastes like a mounds bar. delicious blended with 2 frozen bananas + coconut greek yogurt + cocoa powder for a 500-calorie BEAST of a shake (this is what I had last night haha)

Haven't tried any of the "fruity" flavors besides banana, because I can't imagine drinking them. Although the strawberry might taste like strawberry milk, which I loved as a kid haha. Maybe I'll try that one next...

Thank you for taking the time to look this up and type it all out! Awesome detailed review. It is much appreciated <3

• ActuarialChef
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to look this up and type it all out! Awesome detailed review. It is much appreciated <3

No problem at all! I search through Amazon reviews for the flavors I want to try, too. I want to know what other people think before I spend $50+ on a 5lb container of it!