Breakfast...

Options
lunches I normally have soup or salad and dinners I turn to Pinterest for great low calorie meal ideas.

But breakfasts I struggle with and usually resort to toast which makes me feel heavy all morning.

I like the idea of using yoghurt somehow but have no idea how. Any suggestions?

Replies

• feythrose
    feythrose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a boiled egg & water before I leave for work around 7am then at 9am my students go to breakfast so I have an oatmeal or Greek yogurt. I can't have carbs first thing either or I feel sleepy.
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I usually have a shake of one banana blended with 1/2 a cup of almond milk. I can’t stomach a lot in the morning so this is super low in calories et cetera. But smoothies/shakes are a great breakfast! Bananas, PB, yogurt, milks, nuts, fruit, juice - you can do anything!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I really prefer to get off with a good breakfast in my view like a boiled egg, almonds and a couple tablespoons of coconut oil in coffee/chocolate drink.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing would be to just have a bowl of yogurt with fruit and whatever other toppings fit your diet. I like having mango and raspberries with pecan nuts, or banana, blueberries, walnuts and honey. I always add cinnamon.

You could also make a smoothie using yogurt and again whatever fruit you fancy. You can make overnight oats with yogurt, too.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to not even eat breakfast. I find myself more hungry throughout the rest of the day.

If you are hungry, find something to eat (yogurt, fruit, etc). If you are not hungry, don't worry about eating.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast and have a nicer lunch.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you want to experiment with yogurt, you might consider Greek yogurt because it has more protein. You can add all kinds of things to it: fruit, nuts, dry cereal, granola, peanut butter, cocoa, whatever you want. Play around and find what you like.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm another who skips breakfast. Eating it makes me ravenous for the rest of the day but if I hold off until after 1 and have a substantial lunch, dinner, and snack I'm pretty satiated. Do whatever feels best and that you can adhere to!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I find myself going to bed a tiny bit hungry most nights, so eating breakfast is important for me. Plus, it's working! I'm a fan of Thomas Everything Bagel Thins with whipped Philadelphia cream cheese.

There's also nothing wrong with toast, but I choose a thin toast so it's not too heavy. Two slices of Arnould Jewish Rye Melba Thin are 110 cals. and just enough to hold my favorite butter and raspberry jam. :yum: The only issue is that the slices tear easily, so you have to be careful removing them from the bag. Ha.

No matter what, I always have a latte in the morning (about 30 cals. w/ 2.5 oz. of Simply Smart milk). I'm a coffee addict. :heart_eyes: And, on the weekends, I have the time to cook a few strips of bacon to go along w/ my normal toast/bagel.

19507081.png
  • cnekniher
    cnekniher Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I LOVE greek yogurt.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is usually my smallest meal of the day -- but small doesn't have to mean it has to look like a "diet" meal or some kind of sacrifice. These are a few of my usual breakfast recipes. Bon Appétit. :D

MyBreakfastRecipes1_zpsc5ce6454.jpg

73641431.png

• bounseeball
    Options
    My fav's are: 1 cup plain yogurt with chia seeds and an apple for dipping, two hard boiled eggs with about 1.5oz cheese and 1/2 cup fruit, or a serving of steel cut oats. Coffee, always coffee.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. It's really insightful :) and ladies who skip breakfast because it leaves you hungry, that's just your metabolism revving up for the day as it were. Skipping breakfast isn't the best thing to do but if it works for you, great.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks all. It's really insightful :) and ladies who skip breakfast because it leaves you hungry, that's just your metabolism revving up for the day as it were. Skipping breakfast isn't the best thing to do but if it works for you, great.

No, it's not. Your metabolism is always functioning. Eating breakfast in the morning is great for those who enjoy doing so if it helps them maintain their respective calorie goal and leaves them satiated for the day but isn't necessarily good or bad. Meal timing and frequency is personal preference.

Here's a great read with wonderful articles based on science on why it doesn't matter if you eat breakfast

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/820577

It is, in fact, the best thing for me to do.
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like having 1/2 cup muesli with greek yoghurt, raspberries and blueberries with a little bit of milk. Works out to be approx 400 calories (with full fat yoghurt) and keeps me going until lunchtime :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Glad my metabolism doesn't shut down and doesn't need revved up that sounds scary.

Skipping breakfast is the best thing for me, and being able to do this long term
  • Y0NSTER
    Y0NSTER Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I tried plain greek yogurt with a scoop of vanilla grass-fed whey protein (Tera's) mixed into it...high protein, pretty low carb and really delicious and filling!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Don't eat breakfast then?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Not at all. Your metabolism does not rev up. Skipping breakfast is absolutely fine.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like having 1/2 cup muesli with greek yoghurt, raspberries and blueberries with a little bit of milk. Works out to be approx 400 calories (with full fat yoghurt) and keeps me going until lunchtime :)

Similar to this but with rolled oats instead of muesli, and with a small handful of almonds or walnuts. Also some cinnamon and ground ginger for more flavour. It's usually my biggest meal, but keeps me going until lunch time.