Breakfast...

Options

Replies

• Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This article explains better what I meant. To quote it directly "eating breakfast can increase your resting metabolism by up to 10%"... So yes, breakfast does 'Rev up' your metabolism.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/breakfast-affect-metabolism-8697.html
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    This article explains better what I meant. To quote it directly "eating breakfast can increase your resting metabolism by up to 10%"... So yes, breakfast does 'Rev up' your metabolism.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/breakfast-affect-metabolism-8697.html

That's not a study it's an article. You do not rev up your metabolism by eating breakfast. When I first started 2 years ago I thought the same thing, luckily I was open to learning, and understanding that eating breakfast truly helped me adhere to this and stay with it for 2 years.

This was posted earlier but I'll put it here again you should take some time reading it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/820577
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    I never said it was a study. I said it was an article.
    Also, I'm well aware of how my body works and tbh That discussion you posted doesn't contain much evidence. I have a lot of friends who are pts and I considered it once as well. Eating regularly DOES maintain your metabolism. Fasting or going longer without food reduces it.

This was not what this post was about, I was just curious as to what breakfasts people have or suggest to change my diet up!!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    Breakfast is usually my smallest meal of the day -- but small doesn't have to mean it has to look like a "diet" meal or some kind of sacrifice. These are a few of my usual breakfast recipes. Bon Appétit. :D

MyBreakfastRecipes1_zpsc5ce6454.jpg

73641431.png

I love these menu photos you post. I wish I could have some saved to my computer for ideas!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    lunches I normally have soup or salad and dinners I turn to Pinterest for great low calorie meal ideas.

But breakfasts I struggle with and usually resort to toast which makes me feel heavy all morning.

I like the idea of using yoghurt somehow but have no idea how. Any suggestions?

My kids and I just fill slots for all meals with the following formula-"a plant, a protien, and a bread". This morning was banana slices (plant),veggie sausage patty (protien), and 3/4 cup of fruity cereal (bread).

Its silly but it works for us.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    That's a fab idea! It's not silly at all. X
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm well aware of how my body works and tbh That discussion you posted doesn't contain much evidence. I have a lot of friends who are pts and I considered it once as well. Eating regularly DOES maintain your metabolism. Fasting or going longer without food reduces it.

This was not what this post was about, I was just curious as to what breakfasts people have or suggest to change my diet up!!

You can have your opinion all you want. It's still wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/health/23really.html?_r=3&src=sch&pagewanted=all&

"As long as total caloric and nutrient intake stays the same, then metabolism, at the end of the day, should stay the same as well. One study that carefully demonstrated this, published in 2009 in The British Journal of Nutrition, involved groups of overweight men and women who were randomly assigned to very strict low-calorie diets and followed for eight weeks. Each subject consumed the same number of calories per day, but one group took in three meals a day and the other six.

Both groups lost significant and equivalent amounts of weight. There was no difference between them in fat loss, appetite control or measurements of hormones that signal hunger and satiety. "

Since you're really not wanting to research or do any further reading besides what you believe is true, I'll take an excerpt for you.

I've spent two years consistently skipping breakfast.

People were suggesting alternative methods of eating your calories because you mentioned breakfast made you feel "heavy"
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    No...l I said I was getting fed up of eating toast because that made me feel heavy,
  • Phoenix_Down
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No...l I said I was getting fed up of eating toast because that made me feel heavy,

Right and there's two ways to approach that. Don't eat breakfast so you don't feel heavy and eat at another time or eat something else...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Personal trainers are not experts in nutrition.

You said breakfast made you feel heavy, we offered ideas.

I think my metabolism is just fine considering I've lost over 120 lbs and have kept it off, and I don't eat breakfast. But you have no desire to learn so good luck to you
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    I will have my opinion because it's based on things I learnt when studying and queries I raised to friends in that fitness profession, and tbh, I think they know what they're on about.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    Omg! I have never said to anyone to do as I do have I?! In FACT I said if skipping breakfast works for you then great!
    I ALSO said that TOAST makes me feel heavy.

I was looking for constructive ideas such as those given by melimomTARDIS and others in order to heavy filling, low cal breakfasts!

Because you lot can't accept that I have one opinion and you have another, you've decided to tattle on about something which has no relevance to the discussion! So just stop! There is no need!
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options
    Omg! I have never said to anyone to do as I do have I?! In FACT I said if skipping breakfast works for you then great!

I was looking for constructive ideas such as those given by melimomTARDIS and others in order to heavy filling, low cal breakfasts!

Because you lot can't accept that I have one opinion and you have another, you've decided to tattle on about something which has no relevance to the discussion! So just stop! There is no need!

The only reason I "tattle " on is because you insist on repeating a MYTH. Opinions are fine. Your method of eating is fine but don't go around spouting nonsense about slowing ones metabolism for skipping breakfast just because your PT friends believe it. Opinions are not fact.

And there is a need when there are newbies reading the forums trying to learn about health and fitness and things like this get repeated to nauseum.

Oatmeal, eggs, Greek yogurt, protein pancakes. Though, if just toast makes you feel heavy I cannot think of anything else that wouldn't have the same effects. I would think toast being a carb would be something that doesn't sit for too long before you're hungry again but again, everyone is different.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    Actually, because I eat at the same times each day, I don't find I get hungry or crave anything other than at mealtimes, which is good I spose.

My opinion is based on knowledge from trained professionals and a lot of research into it myself in the past. So please just drop it. I'm sure if newbies are curious about it they will do their own research like you and I have.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You are welcome to your own opinion, but you're not welcome to your own facts. You'll find that this is a board that doesn't like to see misinformation shared.

It's not just about you, but about the hundreds of people reading this thread who might try to force themselves to eat breakfast when they don't need to because of your opinion that their metabolism slows down if they don't.
  • sbarnes44
    Options
    I know what you mean about toast making you feel heavy. For me I'm usually in a hurry so I make myself a shake. I can sip it at my desk at work and don't feel heavy.
    So, either "green" which is spinach, berries, 1/2 an apple, protein and almond milk.
    OR "citrus" which is 1/2 and orange, a carrot, some frozen mangos and strawberries, Greek yogurt and a little bit almond or coconut milk.

When I'm a bit more hungry or have time I'll pick from:
    2. Eggs w/peppers and onions (or just plain) w/English muffin
    3. Fridge Oats or
    4. whatever I have on hand, yogurt, granola etc.

Hope this helps with ideas.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    I give up. You lot are not worth me getting stressed and upset over. I accept that you have your opinions. I've never said to change your opinions. I also said, if skipping breakfast works for you then that's fine, now just leave me the hell alone.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    sbarnes44 wrote: »
    I know what you mean about toast making you feel heavy. For me I'm usually in a hurry so I make myself a shake. I can sip it at my desk at work and don't feel heavy.
    So, either "green" which is spinach, berries, 1/2 an apple, protein and almond milk.
    OR "citrus" which is 1/2 and orange, a carrot, some frozen mangos and strawberries, Greek yogurt and a little bit almond or coconut milk.

When I'm a bit more hungry or have time I'll pick from:
    2. Eggs w/peppers and onions (or just plain) w/English muffin
    3. Fridge Oats or
    4. whatever I have on hand, yogurt, granola etc.

Hope this helps with ideas.

That really does :) those are some fab ideas.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

The link contained a bunch of peered reviewed studies. Did you even read the post or the studies and linked articles?

EDT: obviously not based on the later responses.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Come to the dark side!

We have cottage cheese!

~ Breakfast Club Cult

nvp2rhzvl03t.jpg
    Cottage Cheese Ideas