Restaurants with NO nutritional facts

Options
What's your opinion on eating from restaurants that don't have nutritional facts? I have a place near me that is targeted to people with a healthy lifestyle; serving salads, wraps, smoothies etc. but they have yet to make a nutritional facts sheet. I really want to eat there again but I'm hesitant because I don't know the facts. Is this being too anal? And even outside this specific place, there are so many places that don't have the facts. Should you save these meals for cheat days only? I am on track with my diet but I don't want to restrict myself too too much.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You could probably estimate to the best of your ability, and ask the waiter was they use when they cook it (like any oils) to make sure there's not too many hidden calories. You could also request that they start posting nutritional information - after all, since they're into making healthier foods, it shouldn't be too much to ask. You could be totes casual about it - ask it they have one, and when they say no, just be all "That's okay, but it would be totally awesome if you did in the future."
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What's your opinion on eating from restaurants that don't have nutritional facts? I have a place near me that is targeted to people with a healthy lifestyle; serving salads, wraps, smoothies etc. but they have yet to make a nutritional facts sheet. I really want to eat there again but I'm hesitant because I don't know the facts. Is this being too anal? And even outside this specific place, there are so many places that don't have the facts. Should you save these meals for cheat days only? I am on track with my diet but I don't want to restrict myself too too much.

Yes, it is being too anal, I think. When I go to a restaurant I know the kinds of things which will be good for me and those that won't. I don't need nutritional information.

I used to have a friend who said, "I wish restaurants had a calorie helpline that I could dial when I'm there!". Jesus, just choose wisely and enjoy the food. Not every meal should be about numbers.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What's your opinion on eating from restaurants that don't have nutritional facts?

All for it, because it usually means it's not a chain, and it won't be crap food. :)

If I'm ordering foie gras, it's not because I want to make sure it fits my macros or something similarly stupid. I have no problem with being responsible for myself, and knowing that what I order I may have to deconstruct if I want to log, and I don't need to be babied by a restauranteur playing at nutrition guru with their added data.

Furthermore, when I have my restaurant, if someone asks one of my staff for that data, I'll show them the door. I'm not here to tell you how to eat, I'm here to feed you.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It is really your choice. If it bothers you to eat at a place that you can't figure out calorie levels...then simply don't eat there. I'm sure there are plenty of places to pick from with similar food that does have calorie values advertised.

I don't consider it being anal....I consider it making an informed decision. I don't usually frequent places that I can't figure out calories, not because I don't want to eat there...but because I simply don't have to.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

I think there is a law ( if you are in the US) where they have to release the nutrition facts if you ask.
  • dbmata
    Options

I think there is a law ( if you are in the US) where they have to release the nutrition facts if you ask.

Please cite this law. This would be news to me.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My family goes to local restaurants more than the chain ones, and I usually just look up food closest to what I ordered in the databse, and log that. I don't let it bother me much. when I go out, I want to enjoy and not worry about analyzing my calories.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just choose similar items from the MFP database. Nothing is exact, anyway -- even when eating at home or at a chain restaurant.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    What's your opinion on eating from restaurants that don't have nutritional facts?

All for it, because it usually means it's not a chain, and it won't be crap food. :)

If I'm ordering foie gras, it's not because I want to make sure it fits my macros or something similarly stupid. I have no problem with being responsible for myself, and knowing that what I order I may have to deconstruct if I want to log, and I don't need to be babied by a restauranteur playing at nutrition guru with their added data.

Furthermore, when I have my restaurant, if someone asks one of my staff for that data, I'll show them the door. I'm not here to tell you how to eat, I'm here to feed you.

on the flip side, sometimes people will ask because they might have a food allergy. like if you fry in peanut oil, that might not be good for someone with a peanut allergy. I have a friend who is allergic to shellfish. He ordered fries and forgot to ask if they fried the shrimp in the same oil. He found out after his lips swelled up that indeed, they did fry the shellfish in the same oil! Other customers might have sodium restrctions or things like that, would you turn those people away if they ask how much salt is used? You wouldn't be in business long...
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Certain states require restaurants to post on their menus. In California. I've seen many fast food places with the nute info on the menus. I was blown away by the calories at Sonic.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Only places with more than 20 locations need to post nutritional information, I believe.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    To me it means that their salad is probably 1000 calories or more. Lol if I don't know I don't eat it. But look at it and use what you know. Is it lettuce, tomato, cucumber, maybe some carrots? It's ok. If it has fried onions, croutons, cheese, bacon bits(wood) and all that jazz, it not good. You know what a tortilla is worth, log what you see and hold the sauce.
  • mbelle97
    mbelle97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do my best to estimate what I'm having, or make sure I'm having something I can easily break down the ingredients to log. That being said, if this local restaurant targets healthy eaters, you would think they would give you some Nutritional Info!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Currently in CA and NY restaurants with 20 or more locations (aka chains) must have calorie info on the menu. In 2014 this will be nationally. But again, only for chains with 20 or more locations. McDonalds has put calories in all stores because of this.

Local mom & pop places will probably never have calorie counts. It would be too cost prohibitive for most and they probably don't have the same portion control measures as chains. In these cases I just find a similar dish from a chain and enter it. It's close enough.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if it's causing you to choose not to eat there when you otherwise would like to, you could write to the manager and say so and ask them to provide this information. If they're aiming to cater for people who want healthy food, then a significant number of their target demographic probably feel the same way you do, and so the manager would probably be grateful to hear your opinion about this.

That said, when I eat out I don't really care about the calories. It's nice to know them and be able to log them, but where I live only McDonalds actually provides this information. I sure as anything don't want to restrict myself to only eating at McDonalds!!! I like their burgers but there's a whole world of other food out there that I'm not going to miss out on just because it's harder to log it (not that I'm even tracking right now but if I was tracking that would be my opinion still)
  • dbmata
    Options

Currently in CA and NY restaurants with 20 or more locations (aka chains) must have calorie info on the menu. In 2014 this will be nationally. But again, only for chains with 20 or more locations. McDonalds has put calories in all stores because of this.
    Could you cite the federal law? I've not read one that says that. Talk about nanny law.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I avoid these places except for cheat days. Smoothies can range in calories from 150 to 700 and you cannot always tell the difference without a sheet.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

Could you cite the federal law? I've not read one that says that. Talk about nanny law.
    It's not a federal law, it's state law.
  • dbmata
    Options

on the flip side, sometimes people will ask because they might have a food allergy. like if you fry in peanut oil, that might not be good for someone with a peanut allergy. I have a friend who is allergic to shellfish. He ordered fries and forgot to ask if they fried the shrimp in the same oil. He found out after his lips swelled up that indeed, they did fry the shellfish in the same oil! Other customers might have sodium restrctions or things like that, would you turn those people away if they ask how much salt is used? You wouldn't be in business long...
    Let's be real here, people are asking nutrition data, and not ingredient list. While your comments have value, they aren't relevant.

Additionally, it is the responsibility of the diner to know what they can and cannot eat, as the restaurant staff cannot figure that out for them. It is also responsibility for the diner to ask if any of their known allergens are in the dish. I can't eat walnuts, so I ask if there are walnuts in the food. I don't ask for a recipe card. Asking for an ingredient list is asking for trade secrets, and any restaurant offering those up won't be in business long. That's basic business.

As for your rather ambiguous and relatively silly question: "would you turn those people away if they ask how much salt is used?"
    No, that's their choice, they are adults (generally, and often with today's society only in age and body size.)
    I would not sit there and say, oh we use 2500mg for X, and 180mg for Y. Too much liability.
    A realistic response is: It's salty, it's not salty. This has the least amount of salt on the menu. Etc.

Again though, if you're looking for an AHA seal, go to Marie Callender's. With great dining comes great responsibility.