Counting Closer Calories - FOR those OCD like me!

Options
I made homemade chili this evening and I tried to log my food for dinner and couldn't find anything on the list that I could really use. I don't want to cheat because I'm only cheating myself! Then again, being new to counting calories I don't know for sure how much fat, protein, calories a 1 bowl of my home made chili was. So this helped me http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp I used it to add all the ingredients I've used and my number of servings and gave me my count!

***DISCLAIMER: I previously posted how drinking water was and has been good addition to my weight-loss however, I got so many replies stating that this was myth etc... and even though there are tons of medical studies that proven this...Anyway, with that said, you are free to use any of the advise I make or post on here, please don't keep it personal, if you don't want to use it, I'm totally fine with it! this is just what works for me (period). Thank you***

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe builder on the website here that does this.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I used to use that site, then I downloaded MFP. It's a good tool.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder on this site - much easier than using multiple sites!
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I used to use sparkpeople, lost 70lbs with them - there's a good community there, but I found that MFP tools were much simpler to use & here we are. There is a recipe builder here also.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Triple post.
  • SLLRunner
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Triple post. So sorry.
  • SLLRunner
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I also love the recipe builder. The only things I don't like are that they don't allow servings in grams, and I can't use my own food entries I have created after reading labels.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also use the recipe builder on MFP. Works great.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Recipe builder for everything you make

Never used MFP database items for recipes

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I also love the recipe builder. The only things I don't like are that they don't allow servings in grams, and I can't use my own food entries I have created after reading labels.

I just divide the total cooked weight into 100g and make that a serving so I can take different quantities
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I love the MFP recipe builder so much. The only quibble I have is that sometimes there is a difference when weighing something just when it's finished cooking and then after it's cooled and stored in the fridge a day or two to do the serving size math because of weight loss due to condensation. This comes into play for me with left overs a LOT. I figure it averages out, so it's no big deal, but it's The Amazing Weight Changing Lentil Loaf!!!!!! (or other food!)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I use MFP's builder.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I love the MFP recipe builder so much. The only quibble I have is that sometimes there is a difference when weighing something just when it's finished cooking and then after it's cooled and stored in the fridge a day or two to do the serving size math because of weight loss due to condensation. This comes into play for me with left overs a LOT. I figure it averages out, so it's no big deal, but it's The Amazing Weight Changing Lentil Loaf!!!!!! (or other food!)

I usually wait to weigh the finished dish until after it's closer to room temperature, and I make sure to keep the lid on while it cools. I haven't noticed much change in dish weight. Only time I really noticed actually was when I made a banana bread loaf and it was way too dry and then I didn't wrap it properly, so the remainder got reaaally dry and wasn't the right weight. I threw it out though anyways haha
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    How would you weight a big bowl of chili in crockpot? I just don't see how to do it.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    1. Weigh your crockpot and write it down (I keep a list taped in a cabinet)
    2. weigh your raw ingredients
    3. Weigh the entire meal and subtract your pot. This is your number of servings. There should be several hundred.
    4. Weigh/tare your bowl and spoon your serving.
    5. Tell MFP you had 250 servings of chili for dinner :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How would you weight a big bowl of chili in crockpot? I just don't see how to do it.
    The first time I do a crock pot recipe, I dump the whole thing in a lighter bowl and weigh it (after having zeroed, or weighed the bowl (of course).
    Then you can just weigh portions and divide.
    I take it that you noted that there is a recipe builder right here as stated?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I usually wait to weigh the finished dish until after it's closer to room temperature, and I make sure to keep the lid on while it cools. I haven't noticed much change in dish weight. Only time I really noticed actually was when I made a banana bread loaf and it was way too dry and then I didn't wrap it properly, so the remainder got reaaally dry and wasn't the right weight. I threw it out though anyways haha

I had a bowl of roasted cauliflower on the scale today, and while it was steaming away, I was watching the weight drop :p

• SLLRunner
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I just divide the total cooked weight into 100g and make that a serving so I can take different quantities

But, on your recipe it doesn't come up in grams on the database. Please tell me if I'm missing a step or something.
  • hrtunstall
    hrtunstall Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You have to weigh out portions. Some people weigh out 1 cup portions & total up the number of portions there are. Say you have 8 cups of chili total, just input 8 servings in the recipe builder. The one thing I have trouble with is when I input it in the database of My Recipes instead of a gram or cup amount, it says "1 serving," I would rather it show a real measurement. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know. I have tried to go back in & edit, but it didn't work. :[
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

But, on your recipe it doesn't come up in grams on the database. Please tell me if I'm missing a step or something.
    I always edit to call mine "Whole wheat Bread - 875g - 73g" or something (if 12 servings (875/12=73) after having weighed the finished product.