Counting Closer Calories - FOR those OCD like me!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I also love the recipe builder. The only things I don't like are that they don't allow servings in grams, and I can't use my own food entries I have created after reading labels.

I just divide the total cooked weight into 100g and make that a serving so I can take different quantities

But, on your recipe it doesn't come up in grams on the database. Please tell me if I'm missing a step or something.

No, it comes up as servings

But if a stew weighs 1270g say, I log it as a 13 serving dish and then when I eat it I can take 3.5 servings for 350g or 0.5 servings for 50g

I know all my recipes are like that
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I also love the recipe builder. The only things I don't like are that they don't allow servings in grams, and I can't use my own food entries I have created after reading labels.

I just divide the total cooked weight into 100g and make that a serving so I can take different quantities

But, on your recipe it doesn't come up in grams on the database. Please tell me if I'm missing a step or something.

But if a stew weighs 1270g say, I log it as a 13 serving dish and then when I eat it I can take 3.5 servings for 350g or 0.5 servings for 50g

Yes, that's pretty much what I did. Each serving (total 12) in the above example is 73g.
    If I weigh/eat 112 grams of the product, I had 112/73 servings = 1.53 servings which I log in the diary.
    I used random numbers to show that it doesn't have to be 100g (although that makes it simple)

To clarify:
    Whole product after cooking - 875 g
    Servings entered in recipe - 12
    Per serving - 875/12 = 73g

Eaten - 150g
    Servings eaten - 150/73 = 2.05
    Servings of that recipe entered in diary: 2.05
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    MayTehSporksBeWithYou Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

Yes, that's pretty much what I did. Each serving (total 12) in the above example is 73g.
    If I weigh/eat 112 grams of the product, I had 112/73 servings = 1.53 servings which I log in the diary.

Or conversely, you could just log the whole recipe as 875 servings and then log it as 73 servings in your diary.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I love the MFP recipe builder so much. The only quibble I have is that sometimes there is a difference when weighing something just when it's finished cooking and then after it's cooled and stored in the fridge a day or two to do the serving size math because of weight loss due to condensation. This comes into play for me with left overs a LOT. I figure it averages out, so it's no big deal, but it's The Amazing Weight Changing Lentil Loaf!!!!!! (or other food!)

I watched this happen with my just made soup last night. Every time I went to write the total grams down so I could divide it the numbers changed. Magical ;)
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your advise, I guess I have to buy a heavier scale! my scale is tiny and I think i'll break it if I try to put my huge crockpot on it. Given this is what I use for my family of 4.
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    How would you weight a big bowl of chili in crockpot? I just don't see how to do it.
    The first time I do a crock pot recipe, I dump the whole thing in a lighter bowl and weigh it (after having zeroed, or weighed the bowl (of course).
    Then you can just weigh portions and divide.
    I take it that you noted that there is a recipe builder right here as stated?

Yes I found it - I usually use my phone to track and never had chance to come to the website online but since I found this website, I'm able to use the recipe builder which is really helpful! It's so hard for me to use the pre-made that is out there. Thanks again!
    -
  • FredDoyle
    edited January 2015
    Options

Or conversely, you could just log the whole recipe as 875 servings and then log it as 73 servings in your diary.

Yes, you can, and that actually seems to be the simplest way without any calculatons, but that seems to grate upon my sensibilities. :smiley:
    I can also have fun aiming for a 73g slice of bread and revel in how accurate my slicing skills are.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How would you weight a big bowl of chili in crockpot? I just don't see how to do it.
    The first time I do a crock pot recipe, I dump the whole thing in a lighter bowl and weigh it (after having zeroed, or weighed the bowl (of course).

This is what I do.

I don't like MFP's recipe builder that much myself, but it does the job. It just seems clunkier than it should be and the right ingredients seem not to come up with my searches in an intuitive way, even more than with logging.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is what I do.

I don't like MFP's recipe builder that much myself, but it does the job. It just seems clunkier than it should be and the right ingredients seem not to come up with my searches in an intuitive way, even more than with logging.

That's why I've made all my own entries for items for recipes. They also completely bolloxed up the database port for existing recipes and my many previously entered ones are a mess now. Still, it's a free tool I'll use.