Anybody else never weight themselves?

2»

Replies

• footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I do... but very rarely. Last time I told myself I would do it once a month, I failed - miserably! lol.

I do it once every 2-3 months just to check and that's mostly to check my body fat % not my actual weight.
  • WeakCalves
    WeakCalves Posts: 32 Member
    I don't weight myself anymore. The difference in weight depending on time of the day is very distracting and I end up focusing on the wrong things.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    I stopped weighing myself in March. It was getting to the point where the number I saw on the scale in the morning affected my mood for the day. Now I know approximately how much I weigh.

I found other ways to measure progress, and my goals are different now anyways.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    People regain weight because they haven't in fact internalized daily healthy habits of eating and exercise. If you were seriously overweight, why would you have any confidence in your body's ability to "naturally" settle at a healthy number? Your body was doing what came naturally, based on thousands of years of evolution, that is, to store fat efficiently. We have to eat differently now to outwit our genes.

There are people who can go without weighing themselves. They usually are thin, stick to a familiar diet, rarely eat in excess, and are active. Most of the people I know who are fat or obese were once thin. But they chose to ignore their weight, and they did that by not weighing themselves.
    I weigh myself every day and average my weight weekly to sort out the highs and lows. I don't necessarily agree that those who don't are bound by evolutionary forces to regain weight. It might be true, but my intuition is that the psychological makeup of some people is so different from mine that they can go without weighing and not regain weight.

I hypothesize that our minds play a larger role in weight loss than is generally acknowledged. It may be that resulting weight gain is because our minds still see us as fat and work subconsciously to reestablish what it views as normalcy. If I'm right, over time, as I begin to see myself as slim and not fat my body will back off. I've made progress but I'm not there yet. I'm still a bit surprised when I see a picture of myself. It doesn't match my mental picture of what I think I look like. For some reason, mirrors don't make exactly the same impression. I've been on maintenance for a little over a year.

My hypothesis is based on my decades-old experience stopping smoking. I quit cold turkey and thought the desire would leave me in a few weeks. I had a seriously ingrained habit and consumed multiple packs of cigarettes. It literally took years for the desire to go away completely.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    My scale hasn't worked correctly in probably at least 2 months, and I finally just threw it away a few weeks ago. I'm not planning on buying a new one for at least another month or so.
  • I'm on the fence.

I WANT to not weigh myself, but at the same time I want to know. I'm still breaking the habit/obsession, I suppose. I wish I could just get rid of the scale entirely, but it's a shared one so I can't do much about it except try to ignore that it's there every morning.

Luckily, I have started taking measurements weekly and I've been making much better progress (and last time I stepped on the scale it was up, so obviously that scale doesn't know what it's talking about!).

Life would be better if scales didn't exist, haha. Though I suppose sometimes seeing such a high number is what kickstarts a lot of people into wanting to be healthier.

So yeah, still on the fence. But mostly leaning towards no scale. :)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Mirror and Tape Measure >>>> Scale
  • lauriead215
    lauriead215 Posts: 18
    A friend of mine has been overweight most of her life, last year she did a lifestyle change and is in better shape than ever before. She recently ran a 10k (her first) and instead of being proud of herself she was bummed that the scale did not reflect that accomplishment.

For me, personally, I am just focusing on going down in sizes and not what a scale says. I understand the need for numbers, but for now I am not worrying about them.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Weight is data. What you do with it is up to you. If you get depressed and stop following a plan due to gaining knowledge, it's possible that avoiding knowledge is the right choice.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    if its weird than i'm weird too :) i'm pondering on completely ditching my scale also.
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    I weigh myself every morning, can't help it, I've been doing it since I was kid. I couple a years ago I threw out my scales and gave some away, only to find myself going to walmart and stepping on the scales for sale, or the one at the gym.
  • jme530
    jme530 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm exactly the same way, I would weigh myself and then because I was down a pound or two I would give in to tempting treats a bit more. Then of course you weigh yourself a day or two later because you spent all weekend thinking about what you ate and realize you gained back that pound or two and maybe a few more. I've realized if you don't use the scale but maybe an old pair of jeans it is so much more satisfying and makes you feel good. I tried clothes on the other day I haven't worn in 2 years and they fit great. Keep doing what your doing and makes you feel good.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    I weigh myself once a month (30th or 31st) and use my measurements/way my clothes fit as my indicator of whether or not I'm on the right track.

Works for me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!