Eating every couple hours?....

Options
13»

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    gbjess204 wrote: »
    So before I have lost 70lbs in 5-6 months by eating every 3-4 hours. I ate 4oz chicken and 4oz of broccoli (no salt, butter, or oil) I am on week #2 of doing this again. I was wondering if anyone out there has dieted before with eating every few hours, and your stories with it. How much did you weigh before, how long did you do it, how much weight lost, and what kind of exercise were you doing along with it?
    I dont know if timing makes a difference at all. Some science states every few hours raises insulin levels everytime you eat. Others say you need to eat every few hours to keep blood sugar levels stable. Some state 2 large meals is good because your body only has to pump insulin twice instead of 4 times. Some say intermittent fasting is good because it is how are bodies are designed to eat. Who know? Do what you feel is best for you.
    I lost 130 lbs on a "normal schedule" 3 times a day and few snacks. Now I am eating every few hours and have about 40lbs to go. I feel hungry at my "times". I personally think as long as you do not exceed your calories, eat on a schedule that feels best to you, in the quantities (several small, or fewer larger) meals. Not everyone is the same.

• kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    kevinmacpa wrote: »
    I eat 5 to 6 meals per day. My daily calorie right now is about 2000, so 5 meals per day means about 400 calories per meal. If you eat clean, that's the equivalent of about 5 oz skinless chicken breast steamed, one medium sweet potato, about 8 halves of walnuts. This is manageable to eat in one meal.

If I have 3 meals per day, then I need to consume about 700 calories per meal. That's 8 oz of chicken breast, about 2 sweet potatos and 8 whole walnuts. I don't think a lot of people can eat that much per meal for 3 meals per day.

This is a cutting diet with only 2000 calories per day. I eat about 3500 calories on my bulking diet, so you can imagine, how much I have to eat if I only eat 3 meals a day.

Of course if you eat a lot of junk food that are calorie dense, then it's easy to have 2000 calories in one meal.

Multiple meals per day keep me full through out the day, so my hormone level and insulin level stay constant. I have sustained energy without the hanger. People all have their own beliefs, and I believe multiple meals per day is so much superior than 2 or 3 huge meals. Of course, 5 or 6 meals per day is not doable for a lot of people. But you should try to eat as frequent as you can. You rarely get bloated as well.

I have four meals a day and am consuming about 3000 to 3200 calories a day ...

please define "junk food"...

I consider junk food as food with high amount of added fructose sugar. I don't consider food high in fat junk, but because they are high in calories, I also limit my consumption of that food group for calorie purposes only.

If I have enough room in my macro/calorie allowance, I have no problem eating food that's high in fat. My favorite is a juicy cut of ribeye steak, medium rare with dry baked potato and some mixed vegetables. So yummy!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I eat 5 to 6 meals per day. My daily calorie right now is about 2000, so 5 meals per day means about 400 calories per meal. If you eat clean, that's the equivalent of about 5 oz skinless chicken breast steamed, one medium sweet potato, about 8 halves of walnuts. This is manageable to eat in one meal.

If I have 3 meals per day, then I need to consume about 700 calories per meal. That's 8 oz of chicken breast, about 2 sweet potatos and 8 whole walnuts. I don't think a lot of people can eat that much per meal for 3 meals per day.

This is a cutting diet with only 2000 calories per day. I eat about 3500 calories on my bulking diet, so you can imagine, how much I have to eat if I only eat 3 meals a day.

Of course if you eat a lot of junk food that are calorie dense, then it's easy to have 2000 calories in one meal.

Multiple meals per day keep me full through out the day, so my hormone level and insulin level stay constant. I have sustained energy without the hanger. People all have their own beliefs, and I believe multiple meals per day is so much superior than 2 or 3 huge meals. Of course, 5 or 6 meals per day is not doable for a lot of people. But you should try to eat as frequent as you can. You rarely get bloated as well.

Or you could try eating things besides chicken, sweet potatoes, and walnuts? While satiety plays a role, it's all personal preference on when to eat. I can easily sit down and eat a meal that has 1200 calories if it's calorie dense food. I'm cutting, so I try to avoid doing that, but there is life beyond chicken...
    I agree and natural real peanut butter 2 tbs (200 calories) 2 slices whole grain bread (150 calories) a banana 110 calories and some Greek yogurt 200 calories. IS almost 600 some calories right there. There are many calorie dense foods that are clean. Try trail mox with dried fruit, how about 1/4 cup coconut for 240 calories..lol.

• kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Or you could try eating things besides chicken, sweet potatoes, and walnuts? While satiety plays a role, it's all personal preference on when to eat. I can easily sit down and eat a meal that has 1200 calories if it's calorie dense food. I'm cutting, so I try to avoid doing that, but there is life beyond chicken...
    I agree and natural real peanut butter 2 tbs (200 calories) 2 slices whole grain bread (150 calories) a banana 110 calories and some Greek yogurt 200 calories. IS almost 600 some calories right there. There are many calorie dense foods that are clean. Try trail mox with dried fruit, how about 1/4 cup coconut for 240 calories..lol.

Yes, these are great choices. I eat lots of Greek yogurt when bulking. But since I am cutting, if I eat 3 meals like this, I will get food cravings late at night. If I eat more besides the 3 meals I go over in macro and calorie. But If I eat more lean meat during the day, I feel just as full but with less calorie, so I can eat one or two more meals at night and stay in check with my macro and calorie.

I am also on a high protein diet, about 200 grams of protein per day. With peanut butter, bread, Greek yogurt. I might get about 150 grams of protein with 1800 calories, a lot of protein for most people, but a little short from my macro need.