You really just asked that?

>_<
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

>_<

Yes, I did, because I fail to see a difference. What exactly is your perception of being a grown up that is so vastly different?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This thread haunts me because when I get that feeling, bored with it all and not enjoying my food, is just before I fall off the wagon. If I can't enjoy myself in this life-change, what's the point? When I get bored of it all, I spend some time analysing my feelings, where it is coming from, and change up my strategy. The last time I got this feeling I went off tossed salads for a month and experimented with different cooking methods, vegetables.

Boredom is my bugbear.

I think this is a good point, though I admit when I first read it I thought "bored with all"? "bored with what all"? Food? Eating in balance? But I have noticed that a high number of people on these forums seem to eat the same things day to day. I could easily see getting bored with that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »

>_<

Yes, I did, because I fail to see a difference. What exactly is your perception of being a grown up that is so vastly different?

I would suggest you think long and hard about why you fail to see a difference.

I can't help you, sorry.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Growing up is not learning to love the taste of something you don't. Growing up is knowing that you don't like it but do it anyway.
    No.

Looks like you need a few more miles on ya.

Maturity doesn't always come with age, pal.
  • jenfigmar
    Options
    Is not to worry you or anything, is just that if the cravings are a lot, or very often it might be nothing, but it might be a medical condition. Is your blood pressure normal or actually low? do you have any other symptoms like muscle weakness and/or cramps, constipation, nausea, or fatigue? Cravings also might mean deficiencies. Like people who crave chocolate a lot it is often magnesium deficiency, or if you crave for ice when your are pregnant it is an iron deficiency. Cravings for salty things might also be due to stress. I ask because I've had experiences, and I've heard from experiences that doctors say is nothing and they don't check what they have to check. If it really bothers you, you can check for this things. But if you trust your doctor and you are feeling well then everything is fine.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I hear you... I mean, I eat healthy food all the time. But some of the suggestions for snacks that I hear the most are pretty boring. Carrot sticks and hummus? Maybe once or twice a quarter, but I won't enjoy that as a regular thing.

Maybe you just need to experiment a little bit? I have to put a little more effort into my snacks to make them appetizing, just because I have fairly unreasonable standards for food.

Fruit as a snack isn't filling to me. So I'll usually have cheese and fruit together - like goat cheese with strawberries and balsamic reduction. And for something salty, I'll eat half an avocado with a dash of lemon juice, parmesan, salt & pepper.

Putting a little more effort into my meals and snacks makes them much more interesting, and I can't really grind out my days gnawing on celery.

• CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was a lifelong veggie hater until age 42, and would only eat raw lettuce, carrots, celery and cucumbers, and cooked potatoes and corn. I thought I was one of those supertasters who only tasted the bitter. Five years ago, I started keeping track of my food intake and kind of forced myself at the time to try new foods that I thought I didn't like. I needed more bang for my caloric buck and more veggies fit the bill. What I learned: canned and frozen veggies taste like crap and are just limp and lifeless. I buy fresh and in-season only now, and that is where the taste lies. I love to ask the produce people about foods I've never tried. They are always happy to cut something open, tell me about it and let me try it. Starfruit, chayote, jicama, rutabagas, jackfruit, kohlrabi. WTH are these and what should I do with them? I didn't know, but I tried and learned and discovered that I loved.

I refuse to eat foods that I don't like, so you'll never see me anywhere near cottage cheese or oatmeal. Blech. Life's too short. But I do have to get out of my comfort zone and try new things. One of my goals is to try two new-to-me foods per month, and if I don't like them, I need to try them one more time in a different way. I absolutely despised spaghetti squash the first time I tried it, but I gave it a second shot and followed a casserole recipe with it in it. That's now a running staple in our household that even my 5-year old loves. Get creative, try new recipes. Check out all the delicious-looking stuff you can do with cauliflower for example. http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/cauliflower-not-carbs#.brEmVeJDL.
  • lisaab27
    lisaab27 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A lot of people hate veggies. They weren't my favorites either, but I went and looked up some recipes for vegetables I've never eaten before, and tried them. Some of them I liked and was willing to eat. Also, I tried cooking vegetables I was used to eating the same old boring way, a new way and I found I liked them better. Using fresh vegetables instead of canned stuff helps too. I took fresh broccoli, sometimes cauliflower, and broke them up into the little florets, tossed with olive oil and some garlic herb spice blend. Put them in the oven until they are crunchy and they are great to pop in your mouth like popcorn and hey it's a healthy snack! My daughter hates fruit but she will eat a almond butter and banana sandwich. And now they make pasta with veggies in the pasta. You don't taste the vegetables but they're in there and every bit helps right?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    So, this is more of a rant than anything else, but am I the only one that doesn't actually like 'healthy' food? I hate most veggies. There are few that I'll eat and kinda sorta like if cooked right, but mostly I do not like the taste. Yogurt? If it's not frozen, no. I have yet to try a variety of regular or Greek yogurt that actually tastes good to me. Fruit? I like some fruits ok, and if I have them I'll eat them, but I don't crave them. So telling me to eat fruit when I crave something does NOTHING for the cravings I have. I know that part of getting healthy is eating healthy, but I have no desire to do much in that direction since it's mostly foods I don't like. And the 'eat them often enough and you will like them' doesn't actually help. I've been eating sweet peas for a lot of years since it's about the only cooked green veggie I don't mind eating. Doesn't mean I like them, just means I don't notice them. So, am I just a freak, or is this something a lot of people deal with? What's the point of eating healthy when it makes you not want to eat because you don't like any of the meals?
    I don't understand this.

A grown adult with the eating preferences of a kid. What's scary is that this isn't abnormal, as I wish it were. That's why just about every packaged item in the market has added hfcs.
    So being picky about food has a cut-off age? Good to know. Will you make an I.D. for me so I can order off the kids' menu at restaurants?

Oh no, I have no problem with you having poor taste. You don't need a little badge for your sleeve.

Obviously you have poor taste if you are upset with me generally calling out people with the palate of a child. :)

Nice assumption that I have poor taste because I don't eat every food on the planet and that I'm upset with you. All I want is an official-looking document that will allow me to order grilled cheese sammiches off the kids' menu.

Enjoy your sannakji and kale :)

• HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    So, this is more of a rant than anything else, but am I the only one that doesn't actually like 'healthy' food? I hate most veggies. There are few that I'll eat and kinda sorta like if cooked right, but mostly I do not like the taste. Yogurt? If it's not frozen, no. I have yet to try a variety of regular or Greek yogurt that actually tastes good to me. Fruit? I like some fruits ok, and if I have them I'll eat them, but I don't crave them. So telling me to eat fruit when I crave something does NOTHING for the cravings I have. I know that part of getting healthy is eating healthy, but I have no desire to do much in that direction since it's mostly foods I don't like. And the 'eat them often enough and you will like them' doesn't actually help. I've been eating sweet peas for a lot of years since it's about the only cooked green veggie I don't mind eating. Doesn't mean I like them, just means I don't notice them. So, am I just a freak, or is this something a lot of people deal with? What's the point of eating healthy when it makes you not want to eat because you don't like any of the meals?
    I don't understand this.

A grown adult with the eating preferences of a kid. What's scary is that this isn't abnormal, as I wish it were. That's why just about every packaged item in the market has added hfcs.
    So being picky about food has a cut-off age? Good to know. Will you make an I.D. for me so I can order off the kids' menu at restaurants?

Oh no, I have no problem with you having poor taste. You don't need a little badge for your sleeve.

Obviously you have poor taste if you are upset with me generally calling out people with the palate of a child. :)

Nice assumption that I have poor taste because I don't eat every food on the planet and that I'm upset with you. All I want is an official-looking document that will allow me to order grilled cheese sammiches off the kids' menu.

Most restaurants will make you whatever you ask, within reason. If you want a grilled cheese, and the waitress is being a little dense - ask for a manager. She might not know how to bill that in the POS system, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. If it's on the kids menu, you can ask for an adult version.

• dbmata
    Options
    Growing up is not learning to love the taste of something you don't. Growing up is knowing that you don't like it but do it anyway.
    No.

Truth, that's why I said a few more miles, not a few more years.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I had unsophisticated tastes well in to my maturity. I hated bitter foods. I think coffee is disgusting. My tastes are slowly changing however as I age. About 25% of the population have more receptors for bitterness and are called "supertasters", and I think I might be one of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/articles/senses/supertaster.shtml

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/004013.htm
    I have issues with bitterness, too. I work so hard on overcoming it, but it's difficult to convince yourself you like food that you really don't.

Considering everyone does it, the idea that it is childish to eschew foods you don't like in favor of foods you do like is a little off. But if it's childish, then okay. I'll cop to it. Who cares. I'm not going to argue the subject, lol.

Like you, coffee is just not something I can like, no matter how much sugar they throw in there. It smells so good, though. I want so much to add all those greens to my salads. I like getting different nutrients! But I'm having a hard time adjusting to them and don't know if I will ever be happy with them. They're not like coffee, though.

I don't know why I can't stand bitter things, melons or yogurt. I just know that I hate them and don't eat them. :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    I was a lifelong veggie hater until age 42, and would only eat raw lettuce, carrots, celery and cucumbers, and cooked potatoes and corn. I thought I was one of those supertasters who only tasted the bitter. Five years ago, I started keeping track of my food intake and kind of forced myself at the time to try new foods that I thought I didn't like. I needed more bang for my caloric buck and more veggies fit the bill. What I learned: canned and frozen veggies taste like crap and are just limp and lifeless. I buy fresh and in-season only now, and that is where the taste lies. I love to ask the produce people about foods I've never tried. They are always happy to cut something open, tell me about it and let me try it. Starfruit, chayote, jicama, rutabagas, jackfruit, kohlrabi. WTH are these and what should I do with them? I didn't know, but I tried and learned and discovered that I loved.

Well done. I like reading stuff like this.

• dbmata
    Options
    I don't understand this.

Have you ever just asked for something off the kids menu?

I do it from time to time when I want a little snack to go with my beer. I doubt Denny's or something like that would do it, but that just means don't frequent places like that.

I'll see your sannakji (I had that in mexico.) and kale, and raise you fiddleheads and huitlacoche. I'll be honest, all I really hope out of people is the sense of adventure to try something new, and the maturity to maintain decorum. I watched a woman have a fit over not liking the texture of okra once. She took a bite of fried okra, stood up, ran around while making loud gagging noises, and waving her hands around in the air.

I went over to her extremely embarassed husband, and said... "You guys have kids, surely she's had that texture in her mouth before?" He spit his drink out he was laughing so hard.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    No.

Sneaky, sneaky.
  • dbmata
    Options
    No.

Sneaky, sneaky.

Diction can be a b sometimes. lol.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I hear you... I mean, I eat healthy food all the time. But some of the suggestions for snacks that I hear the most are pretty boring. Carrot sticks and hummus? Maybe once or twice a quarter, but I won't enjoy that as a regular thing.

Maybe you just need to experiment a little bit? I have to put a little more effort into my snacks to make them appetizing, just because I have fairly unreasonable standards for food.

Fruit as a snack isn't filling to me. So I'll usually have cheese and fruit together - like goat cheese with strawberries and balsamic reduction. And for something salty, I'll eat half an avocado with a dash of lemon juice, parmesan, salt & pepper.

Putting a little more effort into my meals and snacks makes them much more interesting, and I can't really grind out my days gnawing on celery.
    one thing i've learned is that protein has to be a part of a snack for me, or else i feel like i didn't eat anyhting - that's why you hear people do carrots and hummus - the protein in the beans helps you feel full; same for things like apples and peanut butter - cheese and strawberries do it too, and avocado is always great because of the good fats. Great snack ideas!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »

one thing i've learned is that protein has to be a part of a snack for me, or else i feel like i didn't eat anyhting - that's why you hear people do carrots and hummus - the protein in the beans helps you feel full; same for things like apples and peanut butter - cheese and strawberries do it too, and avocado is always great because of the good fats. Great snack ideas!

It's boring because they have it backwards. It should be apples with hummus, and carrots with peanut butter.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »

If not protein, at least some fat. If it's just all carbs, I'll be starving again in less than an hour