I found this documentary helpful. Click here to see the list of people who thinks it's full of *kitten*.

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    hrhhuf.jpg
    Lustig is a quack and has been called out many times.

You know what my favorite documentary is?

That mermaid one on the the Discovery channel.

I needed this gif in my life. Thank you for posting it! :drinker:

This is also one of my favorite episodes of Cowboy Beebop xD
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who cited research; I'm reading it now and it's interesting :smile:

The 'sugar is evil' theme has been discussed so many times on here that I think people are just bored of knocking it down.
  • MelonFlower
    MelonFlower Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who cited research; I'm reading it now and it's interesting :smile:

The 'sugar is evil' theme has been discussed so many times on here that I think people are just bored of knocking it down.

That's fair. Thanks!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

757397.gif

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

757397.gif

LOL I thought she was talking about Little Mermaid too! Is there an actual mermaid documentary, because I have not seen this yet...

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

That's fair. Thanks!

Read the posts linked above, specifically the ones from alanaragonblog.com.

After you read Alan's blog post consider that he's also a researcher and he will cite sources in that post and what follows the post is commentary by Alan, Lyle McDonald, James Krieger, and other brilliant minds in the field who all take on Lustig.

Lustig only makes one or two replies to the people debating him and he offers nothing but an appeal to his youtube popularity as his defense against the criticism. That alone should speak pretty loudly.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options

757397.gif

Haha love!!!

To the OP, here's one
    http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Don't take it personally, OP. People are responding to Lustig and his theory, not to you personally. Also I L'edOL at your new thread title.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am still laughing that this documentary is a "little heavy on the biochemistry".
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

757397.gif

LOL I thought she was talking about Little Mermaid too! Is there an actual mermaid documentary, because I have not seen this yet...

It's a fake documentary.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/supernatural/mermaids.asp
  • WinoGelato
    Options

757397.gif

It's a fake documentary.

Darn...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    LOL this is a great new thread title.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    6a00d8341bf67c53ef01910259bafa970c-500wi
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options

757397.gif

It's a fake documentary.

^Ya that. It's a mockumentary but because it aired on the Discovery channel there was mass confusion and some people actually believed it to be true
  • MelonFlower
    Options
    OK guys, you win. I've read through the articles in your links, and I see what you're saying.

I do still think there is sugar over-consumption issue in this country in general, so if nothing else, the lecture is helpful in highlighting that, but I can agree the Lustig has gone overboard with scape goating and fear mongering.

Again, sorry if you feel I wasted your time posting it. Wasn't my intention.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    OK guys, you win. I've read through the articles in your links, and I see what you're saying.

I do still think there is sugar over-consumption issue in this country in general, so if nothing else, the lecture is helpful in highlighting that, but I can agree the Lustig has gone overboard with scape goating and fear mongering.

OMG seriously, can I just commend you on reading counterpoint research with an open mind and conceding that there might be some validity to that alternate viewpoint? I really don't know if I've ever seen this before on MFP, about the sugar topic especially...

I'm marking the date. Jan 12, 2015.

• Phoenix_Down
    Options
    OP, you're awesome. And I can agree that sugar needs to be kept in moderation. Especially those in a calorie deficit, over consumption of sugar and lack of other nutrients can leave one more likely to overshoot their calorie goal and never feel satiated. We didn't mean to bombard you, just wanted to inform before newbies fall prey to thinking sugar is the reason for their situation.

Just trying to keep the focus on the things that matter. Calorie deficit for weight loss and finding a macronutrient balance that you can adhere too. We all truly wish you the best in your endeavours
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    If there is one thing that threads like this do that is positive it is the fact that it brings to light that there is "research" out there that is just flat out wrong. You have to be very careful when you watch a "documentary" and remember that the person filming it is doing so with an agenda. They want to prove what they think is "right" so you will only see a very one sided version of the topic.

So, OP, you did do something good by bringing this up. Now people have access, again, to more research and can make a fully informed opinion instead of a single sided one. Plus, it is nice to see someone actually be willing to read the info given with an open mind and be willing to admit that they may have been incorrect originally. It's refreshing and more of the sort of thing we need around here.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

OMG seriously, can I just commend you on reading counterpoint research with an open mind and conceding that there might be some validity to that alternate viewpoint? I really don't know if I've ever seen this before on MFP, about the sugar topic especially...

I'm marking the date. Jan 12, 2015.

See, OP? Now we're ready to erect a monument in your honor. :flowerforyou:
  • MelonFlower
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Haha, thanks guys!

Feel free to friend me if I haven't given you an aneurysm :smile: