Just Another Lengthy "I lost 100 pounds!" Post

Options
cmfruin2012
cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
edited January 2015 in Success Stories
After 2 years and 3 days -- all of which were logged here -- I finally hit that coveted milestone of losing 100 pounds. I joked with my husband in the weeks preceding that I expected a confetti drop from the bathroom ceiling on that day. Alas, only a couple tears of joy fell from my cheeks.

I joined MFP in January 2013 after having spent my entire life in various stages of obesity. I topped out at 447 pounds and decided enough was enough. I had no excuses any more. No bad marriage, no bad job, no financial stressors -- everything was pretty peachy keen. So I made the decision to finally lose the weight. I had done Weight Watchers once before -- and found that impossible to stick with. Otherwise, I had never really attempted to diet. I was always just content to be fat. But something about MFP really stuck with me. Or maybe it was how much better I started to feel once I changed up how I ate and started MOVING. I started out by using the calorie and macro calculation MFP gave me and I logged all my exercise in MFP. The weight started coming off with some weekly regularity. But then about 6 months in, it started to sloooooowwww. By the end of 2013 I had lost 54 pounds. Nothing to be ashamed of, but it didn't seem to reflect my efforts. In 2014, I continued much the same, meanwhile the doctor I had at the time was pushing me to have weight loss surgery. I was (and still am) wholly against that route. I knew what I had to do -- I had to eat less, move more. But that simply wasn't working.

Then I hit a wall. 7 months where I didn't lose One. Single. Pound. I was beyond frustrated. I continued to log in every day and track my food. But I cut off contact with all the friends I had made on MFP. I found the advice dizzying and confusing. Everywhere I looked people were losing weight doing one thing or another -- but none of that was working for me. But I kept plugging away, doing what I was doing.

Then in September 2014 I got a new doctor -- a wonderful woman who decided to take a very close look at my diet and my health. A series of blood tests revealed I was not diabetic, but I was severely insulin resistant. Also in September 2014, I met a fantastic fitness and wellness trainer -- she too took a hard look at my diet and exercise. They both made some very small adjustments to my diet. I cut my carbs (no drastic Atkins or ketogenic cut) -- just took it down from the MFP recommendation of 55% down to 30% and I also started timing my consumption of carbs so that most of them came before my workout. I also stopped logging my exercise -- instead I just use FitBit to calculate my actual activity. I trust its accuracy way more than the calculated calorie burn here.

Small changes -- huge results. I didn't reduce my calories. And my fitness levels are pretty much the same. But that one small change to my diet along with a low dose medicine to help with insulin -- and the weight started coming off. Over 30 pounds since the end of September. And now, 100 pounds gone. Also, cholesterol medicine -- gone.

I still have over 100 pounds to lose. I do not aspire to be thin -- it simply isn't in the cards for me. I wasn't born to be thin. I will be content to be a size 12/14 again (which will probably be around 225 pounds). Even my doctor agrees that this could be a healthy weight for me if I am eating right and exercising.

I haven't been real good about photographing my journey so I don't have a lot of dramatic transformation photos to share. I do have one side by side below that is from December 2012 (before I started) and December 2014. The other two photos are a comparison of May 2011 (7 months before I started) and January 2015.

I am in the market for some new friends here -- my friends list is pretty sparse. I would love to connect with people who have a lot to lose or who have lost a lot -- and who are faithful to the process. Who understand that this is a lifestyle, not a diet. Who do not make harmful decisions about their health in the effort to lose weight. Folks who are committed and supportive -- that is what you will get from me as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read.4nzskjytr19c.jpg
ukc7kmxw50ti.jpg
oldisfq3uwbu.jpg

Replies

• happyloser58
    happyloser58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great!
  • NuCaz
    NuCaz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Well done you. You must be absolutely thrilled. Keep up the fantastic work :smiley:
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    great job
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    High Five to you!!!!! That was a long plateau to hang in there with, and to find the right people to get it moving again was marvelous. Looking good, bet your family is thrilled, your energy is better, and it just fuels your motivation. You go!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great dedication and determination!
    Truly a fantastic accomplishment!
    Wishes for continued success!
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You must be so tickled with your success after tweaking a few things with the insulin resistance. I'm honored to be your friend on MFP and hanging with you as you continue to transform!!
  • bijouchocolat
    bijouchocolat Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • DWiz2626
    DWiz2626 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Very informative, especially when you hit a "wall."
  • cmfruin2012
    Options
    Thank you all. The fact I stuck with it during that long plateau tells me I can do this no matter what.
  • katlady13
    katlady13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks what a great post! I plateaued for a long time too.. and then gave up and put some weight back on :( Well done for sticking with it and making those changes. You look amazing, really happy! Good luck with the rest of your journey :smiley:
  • cmfruin2012
    Options
    katlady13 wrote: »
    Thanks what a great post! I plateaued for a long time too.. and then gave up and put some weight back on :( Well done for sticking with it and making those changes. You look amazing, really happy! Good luck with the rest of your journey :smiley:

Thank you. The wellness instructor at the YMCA today commented about how I am always smiling and have a glow these days. Getting healthy suits me.
  • cmfruin2012
    Options
    DWiz2626 wrote: »
    Thanks. Very informative, especially when you hit a "wall."

Best advice I can give to anyone if they hit that kind of wall is to muster more patience than you think you have, to jot be afraid to change things up a bit, and do the be afraid to seek out reliable professional advice.
  • cmfruin2012
    Options
    DianaJaneD wrote: »
    You must be so tickled with your success after tweaking a few things with the insulin resistance. I'm honored to be your friend on MFP and hanging with you as you continue to transform!!

Thank you Diana. I appreciate your support and friendship.
  • cmfruin2012
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    High Five to you!!!!! That was a long plateau to hang in there with, and to find the right people to get it moving again was marvelous. Looking good, bet your family is thrilled, your energy is better, and it just fuels your motivation. You go!

How much better I feel is the greatest thing. Being a smaller size and weighing less are nice, but feeling stronger, sleeping better, not hurting, etc. are the greatest motivators. I can't imagine how much better I will feel in another 10, 20 or 50 pounds.
  • MyFitnessMyWellness
    Options
    Great job!
  • cmfruin2012
    Options
    In case anyone is wondering...my fitness regime consists of swimming laps 3 times a week (I can now do about mile in an hour) and a combo of cardio and strength training another 2-3 days a week on my own and with a trainer. I also try to walk 3 miles every day.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    you should be very proud of your self (*) !! :D i said in another post i talk to my scale before i get up, i say to her you can choose to go down and make it easy for me or you can be stubborn and not, either way i'm not going back to my old habits.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!