Butter Vs. Margarine

Options

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    To add some difference to this thread - as a lactose intolerant person I love my Light Smart Balance. Tastes good, spreads well, and cooks/bakes well (in recipes where it doesn't matter whether one uses butter or a substitute).

are you able to use Ghee?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Put it this way...ever watch a cooking show and see a chef of even modest reputation toss margarine into...anything? No. No you haven't. Because it's disgusting.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I guess butter. I have all but weaned myself from both. Most of what I'd use it for...I didn't really need it.

But if I had to pick one, all things considered, I'd take a low sodium / "lite" butter.

I like a salted Bretonne or Normandie butter. Use it for spread or cooking or sauces.

beurre.jpg

Nothing 'lite' about it. Btw, May/June/July is the best tasting butter of this type.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I've read that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic. ...
    Water (H2O) is one molecule away from hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). One of those things is required for health and one is toxic (actually toxic, not MFP-toxic).

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Apparently I eat a tool of Satan. I like margarine. I grew up with it and I'm not going to feel bad about liking it.

I'm not a fan of the taste of butter - it's so rich and heavy to me.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Butter is so much better. I make my own sometimes.

I've read that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic. ...

Yeah, and water's only one ATOM away from being hydrochloric ACID!!!!!

C'mon, you did better in chemistry in high school than to fall for THAT, surely.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I prefer butter but there's nothing wrong with margarine.* That whole one molecule away from plastic thing is wrong, but even if it weren't it's meaningless as has already been pointed out in this thread.

*unless you try to make frosting out of it. Then I will cut you.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm with Mitch Hedberg on this one:

"Acid is my favorite drug. Because of acid I now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bull-*kitten*."

But yeah, both are just oils that you shouldn't eat too much of, and I prefer butter.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Smart Balance has no trans fats and no saturated fats, so I use that.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    A note on health - while margarine isn't necessarily bad for you, there are certainly some poor margarine choices out there. Make sure you're looking for one without trans fats
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I guess butter. I have all but weaned myself from both. Most of what I'd use it for...I didn't really need it.

But if I had to pick one, all things considered, I'd take a low sodium / "lite" butter.

I like a salted Bretonne or Normandie butter. Use it for spread or cooking or sauces.

beurre.jpg

Nothing 'lite' about it. Btw, May/June/July is the best tasting butter of this type.
    It isn't that I can't find any that I like, I just don't really use butter these days. I don't even have any in the house right now. I don't buy it until I need it and I don't need much these days.

No huge preference on butter or margarine. No passionate feelings on the subject. More or a Shrug kind of thing than a Love one.

I'm glad you've found butter you love, though! Enjoy!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    what ever you prefer taste wise. I like becel cause it spreads better on bread.
    +1

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Becel if you are going to eat margarine, don't know why but that is what I heard from a cardiologist. If you don't need a cardiologist then screw it
    I only use butter with scallops myself, butter just gives me acid reflux. But as a former chef, just about everything was better with butter (in moderation).
    As someone else mentioned Ghee is a good choice, basically clarified butter (solids removed). Used a lot in Indian cooking
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Butter is my preference, preferably Kerrygold. However, Lake o'Lakes makes a butter with olive oil that comes in a tub, tastes pretty good, is spreadable and has slightly less cals and about 1/2 the saturated fat. I use that when I'm looking for something more spreadable.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Water (H2O) is one molecule away from hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). One of those things is required for health and one is toxic (actually toxic, not MFP-toxic).
    3% hydrogen peroxide sure is a great mouthwash.

I buy organic pasture fed butter. If I was to use margarine, I'd use one of the olive oil or yogurt based spreads.
  • nerdburglar13
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    3% hydrogen peroxide sure is a great mouthwash.

I buy organic pasture fed butter. If I was to use margarine, I'd use one of the olive oil or yogurt based spreads.

^ This. Butter is definitely better!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

beurre.jpg

It isn't that I can't find any that I like, I just don't really use butter these days. I don't even have any in the house right now. I don't buy it until I need it and I don't need much these days.

No huge preference on butter or margarine. No passionate feelings on the subject. More or a Shrug kind of thing than a Love one.

I'm glad you've found butter you love, though! Enjoy!!

How do you cook without butter?!?!?! Not judging you...just genuinely curious. I would be at a loss for things like baking, gravy and sauces. I know plenty of people, particularly those that eat Mediterranean or Southeast Asian diets don't use much butter. But I'm genuinely surprised that people in the Western world use so little butter without even making it a conscious choice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Ok ok :D I'm hearing y'all :D
  • nerdburglar13
    Options
    We go through massive quantities of cultured Kerrygold and organic pasture butter in our household. My kids (now teenagers) would eat it like it was cheese when they were young. Probably not a popular stance on here, but it's the truth. =D