aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    BUTTER! Because butter.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I guess butter. I have all but weaned myself from both. Most of what I'd use it for...I didn't really need it.

But if I had to pick one, all things considered, I'd take a low sodium / "lite" butter.

I like a salted Bretonne or Normandie butter. Use it for spread or cooking or sauces.

beurre.jpg

Nothing 'lite' about it. Btw, May/June/July is the best tasting butter of this type.
    It isn't that I can't find any that I like, I just don't really use butter these days. I don't even have any in the house right now. I don't buy it until I need it and I don't need much these days.

No huge preference on butter or margarine. No passionate feelings on the subject. More or a Shrug kind of thing than a Love one.

I'm glad you've found butter you love, though! Enjoy!!

How do you cook without butter?!?!?! Not judging you...just genuinely curious. I would be at a loss for things like baking, gravy and sauces. I know plenty of people, particularly those that eat Mediterranean or Southeast Asian diets don't use much butter. But I'm genuinely surprised that people in the Western world use so little butter without even making it a conscious choice.
    I rarely make a cream sauce or gravy.

I just use ingredients and seasonings. I often toss things together...like, if it's in a bowl together, it belongs together, lol. I eat differently than many people. I wouldn't serve other people the kind of stuff I eat. I don't always love what I make. Sometimes I do! But sometimes, I'm like, "Ooh. Lesson learned here. Not good!"

I just kind of make stuff that doesn't have a name because I just made it up and called it "food" or "a meal." :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    They still sell margarine?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    They still sell margarine?

lol yes, unfortunately

• nerdburglar13
    Options
    I'm such a pusher. First hit is free! :D
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    We go through massive quantities of cultured Kerrygold and organic pasture butter in our household. My kids (now teenagers) would eat it like it was cheese when they were young. Probably not a popular stance on here, but it's the truth. =D
    My mom, my sister and I all eat butter like frosting. So good!

• deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Their both crap
  • Gharley64
    Gharley64 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Butter is so much better. I make my own sometimes.

I've read that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic. ...
    Air is one molecule from being water. A molecule can make a lot of difference.

I don't eat either.

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I prefer butter if I have to have it, but I always use Bertolli (idk if you have it outside of the UK) which is a spread made from olive oil. I think it tastes even better than butter, so that's why I use that. I'll use butter if I'm baking though (which is rare).
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Margarine is just plain gross.

Butter alllllllll the way!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Chlo92x wrote: »
    Is butter better for you than margarine?
    I have heard a lot of bad things about margarine and trans fats etc.
    Is full fat butter worth the 'fat content' ?

Opinions?

Butter...I eat Kerrygold Grass Fed Butter, and it's so good. :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it, it was years ago. It's' just stuck in my mind.
    Butter is simple and natural, margarine is not.
    Margarine is just as simple, really, it's been around since the 1800s (it was created as a temperature stable butter substitute for the French Army.)

The whole "one molecule away from plastic" is a silly statement that just shows a lack of understanding of chemistry. Water is just an atom away from being hydrogen peroxide, which is fatal if you drink it. Does that mean water is bad? A little critical thinking goes a long way. Unfortunately, all too often people just blindly believe something they read or are told, without even the slightest thought about the logic of the statement.
  • nerdburglar13
    Options
    Uh-oh, the professor just came in. Eyes back on your own papers, everyone.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Butter. They have the same calories and fat per gram so why not go with something that tastes good?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Their both crap

Lol, comic relief is here.
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    I prefer butter if I have to have it, but I always use Bertolli (idk if you have it outside of the UK) which is a spread made from olive oil. I think it tastes even better than butter, so that's why I use that. I'll use butter if I'm baking though (which is rare).

Sounds interesting.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Butter. They have the same calories and fat per gram so why not go with something that tastes good?

so does lard, so why not use lard? or duck fat
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

so does lard, so why not use lard? or duck fat

You were a chef, what do you think of that olive oil spread?