Food Fears

Options
2»

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    what is "OP"? (Sorry off topic, but I see it a lot ...) thanks.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    what is "OP"? (Sorry off topic, but I see it a lot ...) thanks.

Original post/poster.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    THANKS!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I've recently been focusing on eating clean, which involves cooking most meals and avoiding refined carbs/processed sweets. My cravings are under control most of the time, but I feel like every time I see someone eating take-out or processed snacks, it's an emotional roller coaster. I'm worried I'm developing fears towards certain foods I've deemed bad for myself, and that eating them will lead to bingeing and guilty feelings. Does anyone have any experience overcoming this? Any help would be appreciated!

This, right here, is why people come out and say (perhaps, insist) that there are no bad foods. Demonizing foods can lead to disordered eating in some people, which is exactly what's happening to the OP.

OP, first realize that there are no bad foods. Also, I would maybe talk to a counselor if you are having such a hard time. This unhealthy obsession can lead to worse problems down the road if you are inclined to go there - like an eating disorder. And, trust me, that is not a hill you want to climb.

Nip it in the bud, now.

Completely agree. I've found that most everyone I know of who has "trigger' foods also label foods as "bad" or "good" and often tie their feelings to how they have been eaten. When you start feeling good or bad or anxious about what you are eating, it can be a very slippery slope downhill. OP, definitely work on changing your thoughts. It's fine to have foods that you choose not to eat because they aren't worth the calories, but don't eliminate the things you love simply because you think they are "bad". If you are craving something, figure out how to fit it in to your day/week, eat it, enjoy it and move on.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! The hardest for me mentally now is going out to a restaurant. I would feel comfortable eating a homemade version of a restaurant meal, but I get scared when I have to go out with friends to eat because I know the meal won't be as healthy as when I make it at home. I try and tell myself that it's just one meal and it's not a big deal, but I'd rather be able to just enjoy it rather than worrying so much.

I also try and tell myself to eat half of the restaurant portion because it's higher in calories, but often that isn't filling enough and I end up still hungry.

I reached a similar point in my dieting but for slightly different reasons. I actually broke into tears when the restaurant my family was eating at told me they were out of quinoa burgers. Broke into tears. That's not healthy.

I was already seeing a therapist at the time for depression/anxiety and she wanted me off the diet entirely when I explained what was happening. But we compromised. I closed my diary here (logging the food was part of my fears) and got more relaxed with my logging and also had to slow down my weight loss progression and take some diet breaks to allow myself more calories. For me, dieting was messing with my mood a little more than I realized.

That's what worked for me, but everyone is different. I think it's common to believe that this kind of thing is normal when you're dieting, but it's really not a healthy way to live. It was interfering with my life and my mood and my relationships with friends and family. You need to find a way to stop fearing foods. And if you can't do it on your own, I agree that a couple of sessions with a professional might help.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This makes me think of Haidt's work with the emotion of "disgust". There's likely an evolutionary need for this emotion. Keeps us from eating tainted food, poisonous gourds and mushrooms. You may want to take the test to see where you sit on the disgust scale.
    http://www.yourmorals.org/
    Of course a good thing taken too far can end up harmful. I am fascinated with anecdotal stories that cultures that do not "demonise" a food, say alcohol, have fewer alcoholics (i.e. the French). If a food is treated as an ordinary part of life, there is less likelihood that obsessions and perversions will form around it.