Foods you thought had fewer calories and discovered they didn't when you paid attention

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have to say Sushi. For a long while, Weight Watchers was touting it as the miracle alternative to fast food when really, calorie for calorie, what I will devour in a sushi lunch is more calories than what I'd eat at McDonalds.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Muffins. The calorie count in them makes me sad.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    This question has been posed before, and I seem to have a new answer every time I see it. This time, I had no idea that the chicken and cheese slider at White Castle, was more than double the calories of a standard beef slider. I about cried when I logged that meal. And that's when I started prelogging before heading out to a restaurant
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Muffins. The calorie count in them makes me sad.

OMG, it's like being made in a muffin tin magically doubles the calories, isn't it? Blows my mind.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm a big carb craver. I love breads and pastas so it shocked me to see just how small say a 100cal portion was... And gave me my lightbulb moment as to where I was going wrong lol
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Snapeas. Delicious, but same calories as chips.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    The calories in pasta messed with my head too. Back when Weight Watchers had the "Fat & Fibre" program, the 'rules' were - less than 20g fat a day, more than 20g fibre, be sensible with sugar. On those rules, pasta was my best friend!! No wonder I wasn't losing haahaa. These days pasta is practically a side dish, small servie of it with a lot of veg and sauce.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Steak N Shake when it comes to fast food diner stuff...used to get the Frisco Melt, no fries & water to drink. Then I realized it's 750 cal, and 53g fat (although I don't make a point to eat low fat that is a lot).

I still opt for no fries and water to drink when I go there...but getting a double steakburger no cheese (390 cal, 21g fat) or if I'm hungrier even a triple (510 cal, 30g fat) is just as good and just as greasy-indulgent and satisfying to me. So I can get a double, plus cottage cheese with pineapple and it's still not even remotely close to the Frisco Melt calories.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I've never really been that into milkshakes, thankfully. But that's the biggest shocker for me that most of them, even small ones, have at least 600 and sometimes well over 1,000 calories. I guess in my mind, being almost totally ignorant of calories in beverages for so many years...I would have guessed that a medium fountain Coke had like 200-ish cal (pretty close to correct) and a shake, 300? 400? Not 970 or whatever!

Also, cheese. I don't mind "using" calories on mayo for a sandwich oddly enough but I almost never put cheese on anything anymore, such as burgers, salads, etc. And I now use it VERY sparingly on Italian, Mexican and/or Tex Mex recipes I make at home. It used to be such a staple, I barely even considered that it had calories (!!!) and I'd cover almost everything in shredded cheddar or mozzarella. Not anymore!

I think a lot of people eat more cheese than they think they do, and have no idea what it costs them calorically. The first time I saw what it was worth, I blanched.

Nuts, avocado, peanut butter surprised me ("healthy, what!!!").

Of the stuff I used to like that is kind of not great value, which shouldn't have been a surprise but was (just high, high, high numbers, all 1000+)
    - Poutine
    - Fish and chips
    - Jerk chicken
    - Indian food
    - Burritos (at the place I used to like)
  • lepnat
    lepnat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How small a serving size is for your typical salty snacks (Wheat Thins, Ritz Crackers, Goldish, etc). Even the Reduced Fat sizes are less than a handful for over 100 calories.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I've never really been that into milkshakes, thankfully. But that's the biggest shocker for me that most of them, even small ones, have at least 600 and sometimes well over 1,000 calories. I guess in my mind, being almost totally ignorant of calories in beverages for so many years...I would have guessed that a medium fountain Coke had like 200-ish cal (pretty close to correct) and a shake, 300? 400? Not 970 or whatever!

Also, cheese. I don't mind "using" calories on mayo for a sandwich oddly enough but I almost never put cheese on anything anymore, such as burgers, salads, etc. And I now use it VERY sparingly on Italian, Mexican and/or Tex Mex recipes I make at home. It used to be such a staple, I barely even considered that it had calories (!!!) and I'd cover almost everything in shredded cheddar or mozzarella. Not anymore!

I think a lot of people eat more cheese than they think they do, and have no idea what it costs them calorically. The first time I saw what it was worth, I blanched.

Of the stuff I used to like that is kind of not great value, which shouldn't have been a surprise but was (just high, high, high numbers, all 1000+)
    - Poutine
    - Fish and chips
    - Jerk chicken
    - Indian food

I'm not sure which burritos you liked best, maybe something more authentic...but this reminded me about how I used to hear so many people refer to burritos from places like Chipotle, Moe's, Freebirds, Qdoba as "a healthier option". I am sure in many ways they are. But calorically speaking, whoa. I do go to those places and usually get a naked burrito or other type of bowl. I don't think tortillas are bad or anything...but when I look up the calorie count it's just NOT worth it at all! In years past I really felt like I was eating light & healthy getting a chicken burrito at Chipotle. The calories in that makes me cringe now.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    My favorite meal at Chick-fil-a (deluxe spicy chicken sandwich, large fries) is almost my entire days worth of calories!

I second the chicken burrito at Chipotle as a calorie bomb. I don't even get the sour cream or guac... and it's over 900 calories!

I also get sad when I see how little a serving of chips really is... 11 doritos... 11. I can inhale a bag of doritos without really thinking about it! They are so good! I don't even buy them anymore.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I convinced myself because I added fruit to chocolate ice cream it was healthy (so mortified with myself now). When I purchased my scales it was the first thing I weighed, that was when I realised I was never going to be grown up enough to give it 'houseroom'
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school (BEFORE MEAN GIRLS, Y'ALL), I convinced myself that cookies were healthy because butter was a dairy product and thus protein and calcium. o:)

More recently--McDonald's soft serve (which I love) is not terrible, calorie-wise. I continue to be flabbergasted at the calorie content of their shakes and McFlurries. They have got to add, like, concentrated calorie powder to those things.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. I tossed a handful in a smoothie once and logged it after the fact. ACK. Was not expecting that hit.
  • stephanglin81
    stephanglin81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    corinic91 wrote: »
    I was shocked what a serving of cereal was once I weighed it :neutral_face:

I totally agree!!!
  • top_mom
    top_mom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy snacking after work with crackers. .. All kinds.. Not picky! But now when I read the nutrition label, I was taking in more than a meals worth of calories mindlessly on crackers !!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

- Poutine
    - Fish and chips
    - Jerk chicken
    - Indian food

I'm not sure which burritos you liked best, maybe something more authentic...but this reminded me about how I used to hear so many people refer to burritos from places like Chipotle, Moe's, Freebirds, Qdoba as "a healthier option". I am sure in many ways they are. But calorically speaking, whoa. I do go to those places and usually get a naked burrito or other type of bowl. I don't think tortillas are bad or anything...but when I look up the calorie count it's just NOT worth it at all! In years past I really felt like I was eating light & healthy getting a chicken burrito at Chipotle. The calories in that makes me cringe now.

They're from a small local chain, quasi-authentic (i.e. not at all, haha). The small is like 800 calories :/

Burrito bowls are great!
  • jessteah
    Options
    I was really surprised at how many calories black olives have in them. I mean in the long run its not that much but for how small they are i didn't expect it.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Nuts and chips.