Foods you thought had fewer calories and discovered they didn't when you paid attention

Options

Replies

• clsxplor
    clsxplor Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was amazed when I found out that ground turkey has more calories than the leanest 96/4 ground beef, so I went back to using ground beef in my tacos!
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ooh I forgot pastry. I love all pastry.. pies.. tarts.. pasties.. pork pies :'( I try to limit those foods now though
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cheese and nuts. I love them, eat them, but they are pre-portioned now.

Burgers from Dairy Queen, Carl's Jr. and Red Robin's

Bagels

Fruit platter from Cora

Chips and fries

Greek salad, caesar salad. I put on my own dressing now.
  • sugardetox
    sugardetox Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. I still think that it is the greatest thing ever and I believe the phrase "I may be considering cheating on you with this Reese's" has been uttered to my husband once or twice. Thank God for PB2 so that I can still have a peanut butter smoothie in the morning!
  • sugardetox
    sugardetox Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    pepperdove wrote: »
    I work at Starbucks, and I will tell you that any of our foods are pretty much going to kill your diet for the day. It's brutal.

Hey, I lived off of those spinach feta wraps for four years. I discovered that making my own gourmet whipped cream with ristretto shots, mocha and carmel and pouring it in all of my drinks was what was killing my diets. Lol

Let me tell you that one great thing about leaving a job at Starbucks is that you don't drink it as much... mainly because nobody can make your drink as good as you could!
  • divergentbeing
    divergentbeing Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It might sound dumb, but Oreos and Samoas. Two cookies is 140 calories... (I remember eating them by the sleeve).
    Nuts and avocados we were a huge surprise.
    Less surprising but still worse than I thought is fruit juice (a cup is not the same as 'a glass').
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Trish12a wrote: »
    Snapeas. Delicious, but same calories as chips.

OMG!! Seriously?? That is unbelievable. I never knew that.

Not true. Snap peas are 35-40 calories for 100g (about 1 cup)
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Also, granola. I love granola. I eat granola. In fact, I'm eating some right now. :) But it's pretty calorie dense for the small amount in a serving.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

The poster probably meant fried snap peas. I think I've seen them at Trader Joe's.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Also, just pie in general is a pretty big calorie bomb. I got to looking at their menu after I logged my dinner. The calorie count on most desert pies is insane.

I agree. My husband and I go over to my mom's house for dinner once a week and she usually bakes or makes awesome homemade treats, which we indulge in, log, and move on. One week though she served a blah Mrs. Smith's frozen apple pie...the one with a crumble top. We ate it to be polite - and because we both love sweets - and when we logged it both of us were like what in the world?! It was 400 cal or nearly, per slice. Not a very big dessert and definitely not very good! I could have had a slice of really good cheesecake...2 scoops of gelato...almost three Cadbury eggs...lol

• lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It might sound dumb, but Oreos and Samoas. Two cookies is 140 calories... (I remember eating them by the sleeve).
    Nuts and avocados we were a huge surprise.
    Less surprising but still worse than I thought is fruit juice (a cup is not the same as 'a glass').

One original Oreo has about 53-54 calories, so two is around 106. Not quite as bad! There are ALWAYS Oreos in my house so I have become quite knowledgeable. :)
  • kitsilana
    kitsilana Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The dried cranberries I'd add to salads cause I thought they added nutritious things like vitamin C and fibre.

Turns out since they're sweetened all they add is sugar with next to no nutritious value.

I might as well sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar on my salad
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    I was a little shocked when I learned a label can say 0 trans fats even though hydrogenated oils are part of the ingredient list.

How do you find that info? I'm interested.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I was shocked how much worse Sonic milkshakes are for you than a milkshake from just about any other fast food restaurant (even their minis!). I was also shocked by ice cream cake, the serving size on that is just depressing.
    On the other hand, when measuring out bertolli spaghetti noodles I was shocked how much I got for only 200 calories o.o
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

If they are comparing to chips they most likely are referring to
    and it is 28 gms = 120 calories.
    100 gms close to 400 plus calories
    That's my evening snack everyday. Love me some Snapea crisp

lightlysalted.png
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Muffins. The calorie count in them makes me sad.

Yes! My boys are lightweight and underweight and I've been working with a dietician to work on high calorie foods for them, so not much has surprised me. But muffins were a bit of a shock!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Nuts, I always knew they were calorie heavy… but the actual number surprised me.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries really surprised me! Also, pasta dishes at most restaurants are often more than my entire allowance for a day! Granted I always gravitate towards something cheesey and creamy, mmm!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Juice. It's not soda, so it must be "healthy"!
  • otheliemoor
    otheliemoor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've never really been that into milkshakes, thankfully. But that's the biggest shocker for me that most of them, even small ones, have at least 600 and sometimes well over 1,000 calories.

This. Seriously. And smoothies. I used to have a smoothie for lunch sometimes because it was fruit and healthy, I thought. Turns out 900 calories.