Is Boston Market a Healthy choice?

Options
So I love chicken and a good full meal but I don't have time to prepare it myself. I was wondering if Boston Market is a good healthy, they post their nutrition and ingredient information online, and it's pretty impressive. For reference, a Quarter White Rotisserie Chicken with Garlic Dill New Potatoes and Fresh Steamed Vegetables only has 490 calories and has plenty of protein but considerable sodium. It seems like a good filling meal with few calories, but are there something I have to worry about like preservatives/additives stuff like that?

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Besides that it doesn't taste great and is pretty processed, no. You can eat it and lose weight.
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think the stuff they make at Boston market is fairly easy to make at home and probably a lot cheaper and no preservatives/ extra sodium to worry about that way.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calories allowance and fits your macros, then yes.
  • Jimmyftw2
    Options
    I think the stuff they make at Boston market is fairly easy to make at home and probably a lot cheaper and no preservatives/ extra sodium to worry about that way.

That's why I like it because it is like food my family would make but right now, I'm living away in college so I don't have time to cook a full meal. What do you mean by preservatives/proccessed (sorry im new at this healthy thing) and why is it bad for you? It is also pretty expensive too but I like chicken taste and veggies instead of just plain ramen nodddle.
  • jackiemarzan
    Options
    I'd say try your hand at "recreating" some of these meals yourself, that way you know what you're putting inside each meal
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Jimmyftw2 wrote: »

That's why I like it because it is like food my family would make but right now, I'm living away in college so I don't have time to cook a full meal. What do you mean by preservatives/proccessed (sorry im new at this healthy thing) and why is it bad for you? It is also pretty expensive too but I like chicken taste and veggies instead of just plain ramen nodddle.

There is nothing wrong with preservatives and processed food in moderation. People are just being elitists over food.

There isn't anything wrong with the food from Boston Market but you can get a rotesserie chicken from the grocery store for probably the same as the whole meal and that chicken from the store will spread out over more meals. Financially, the grocery store chicken is a better choice, They even have some sides you can pick up near the chicken.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Jimmyftw2 wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with preservatives and processed food in moderation. People are just being elitists over food.

There isn't anything wrong with the food from Boston Market but you can get a rotesserie chicken from the grocery store for probably the same as the whole meal and that chicken from the store will spread out over more meals. Financially, the grocery store chicken is a better choice, They even have some sides you can pick up near the chicken.

This. ^^ There is nothing wrong with Boston Market and if you want it, eat it, it has a lot more protein and vitamins than ramen does.

Mmm...rotisserie chicken. Now I want some. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • lisaab27
    lisaab27 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No. Boston Market is full of salt. Rotesserie chicken from the grocery store is too. Better to just pop a chicken in the oven and make your own. Rinse chicken. Pat dry. Rub olive oil on outside of bird and wings. Sprinkle with garlic powder and herbs, both sides. Cook in oven on 350 for about a hour turning over to brown both sides. Easy and healthy.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    No. Boston Market is full of salt. Rotesserie chicken from the grocery store is too. Better to just pop a chicken in the oven and make your own. Rinse chicken. Pat dry. Rub olive oil on outside of bird and wings. Sprinkle with garlic powder and herbs, both sides. Cook in oven on 350 for about a hour turning over to brown both sides. Easy and healthy.

There isn't anything wrong with salt unless you have a medical condition.

So let's see, fat has been made the enemy (not in this thread), same with sugar, not salt... seriously people, MODERATION
  • Jennyisbest87
    Jennyisbest87 Posts: 5
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Personally, I cannot eat a chicken that is just cooked and sprinkled with some seasoning on top. I used to live close to a boston market and I go there sometimes but the chicken there that too doesn't taste that good.

According to MFP, the chicken meal with potatoes, veggies and bread has about half of the daily sodium which is not that bad for a complete dinner. A small Lo Mein from a Chinese place has way more sodium.

It has about half of the daily cholesterol too which isn't too bad either.

But the main thing is the price, if you like cooking and have the time you can recreate a healthier version with a lower budget and you will know what is in it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

You still have to add some salt, otherwise it will be incredibly bland.

Personally, I don't go to Boston Market because it is the one thing I can make at home way better for just as much time as it takes me to drive there, order, and get back. Also, I don't like the way the mashed potatoes taste. Kind of metallic to me.

But, there isn't anything horribly wrong. Just drink a lot of water.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, but if you're still accustomed to eating a lot of sodium, it's a very yummy choice, IMO. I used to love that place. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is not a single meal of food on this planet that is unhealthy in its own instance, so yes, it's healthy.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Boston Market has a nutrition calculator on their website. If you know you are going ahead of time you can put together a meal that fits your cals and macros.
    http://www.nutritionix.com/boston-market/portal
  • Jennyisbest87
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    There is not a single meal of food on this planet that is unhealthy in its own instance, so yes, it's healthy.

What about a Whooper with large fries and large soda from Burger King?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with Boston Market or a Rotesserie from the grocery store. There's also nothing easy to baking a chicken for an hour if your a college kid living with a bunch of roommates or even worse, dorm ridden......context of the OP.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

If it fits your cals and macros I say go for it :) It may be the only thing you eat that day though haha
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Any food is okay in moderation. Eat whatever you like that fits in your calories and macros.

But if you're eating Boston Market because you're too intimidated to cook chicken at home, time for a skills update.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

That sounds good right about now.
    Make mine a double Whopper please, with cheese too.