Is Boston Market a Healthy choice?

Options

Replies

• Jimmyftw2
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Any food is okay in moderation. Eat whatever you like that fits in your calories and macros.

But if you're eating Boston Market because you're too intimidated to cook chicken at home, time for a skills update.

Im not intimidated to cook chicken its just I dont have time or the equipment, and maybe skill your right, to do so. And I have roommates around, so it's kinda awkward to cook a chicken.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    There is not a single meal of food on this planet that is unhealthy in its own instance, so yes, it's healthy.

What about a Whooper with large fries and large soda from Burger King?

There is not a single meal of food on this planet that is unhealthy in its own instance, so yes, it's healthy.

I think I know what you mean. You can eat burger king and stay in your cal limit but you have to skip lunch or breakfast and I don't like starving myself. I do eat burger king and mcdonald, they are so good, but it means workout extra hard or run more.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I'm not a fast food fan, but let me tell you, there's something about Boston Market that I really dig. If I had one near I could easily eat there once a week; their chicken, creamed spinach, sweet potatoes and cornbread are all exquisite to my palate. I love a high quality meal made with fresh produce, and indeed I do cook myself, but tasty is tasty at the end of the day.

Whatever "unhealthy" and "processed" portions you guys don't want you're more than free to ship my way!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you like it and are willing to pay someone else to fix it, go for it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Jimmyftw2 wrote: »
    Any food is okay in moderation. Eat whatever you like that fits in your calories and macros.

But if you're eating Boston Market because you're too intimidated to cook chicken at home, time for a skills update.

Im not intimidated to cook chicken its just I dont have time or the equipment, and maybe skill your right, to do so. And I have roommates around, so it's kinda awkward to cook a chicken.

I think I know what you mean. You can eat burger king and stay in your cal limit but you have to skip lunch or breakfast and I don't like starving myself. I do eat burger king and mcdonald, they are so good, but it means workout extra hard or run more.

You may have to skip lunch or breakfast, sure if you want to stay in your calorie limits. That's not the case for all of us though, but to be clear, it would still apply even if you go over for the day.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Do you have a crockpot?
    You can cook a chicken that way, you don't get the crispy skin you do from roasting (or at least I dont). Might be something you could do with roommates.

And a simple cheeseburger and small fries from McDs isn't that caloric: 520 cals, 22g fat, 63g carbs, 17g protein, 20% of your daily iron, 810mg sodium
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    From my limited experience, there seems to be an excess of salt and sugar in most of their offerings. I cannot even eat some of the items, because they are so salty.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Do you have a crockpot?
    You can cook a chicken that way, you don't get the crispy skin you do from roasting (or at least I dont). Might be something you could do with roommates.

And a simple cheeseburger and small fries from McDs isn't that caloric: 520 cals, 22g fat, 63g carbs, 17g protein, 20% of your daily iron, 810mg sodium

If this guy really is living in a dorm room, you cannot have a crock pot. It's against the regulations and the firemen do come through the dorms randomly and check them and confiscate (yes, confiscate) anything that doesn't conform to regulations. Most places you cannot have anything that cooks food aside from a microwave. Sometimes you can have a hot plate, but that essentially boils water and that's it. You can use the community kitchen, but you are dealing with equipment that is not yours that may or may not work properly or at all, and you have to sit down there, with everyone walking by, probably asking you to share your food.

Just go to Boston Market if you want it. It's no more processed than the cafeteria food or ramen you are stuck with if you don't eat it. That's what people are not understanding. That's your cooked choices in college in a dorm: cafeteria food, ramen, or fast food.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Does your dorm not have a kitchen? Is that the issue?

If it does I don't get why it would be awkward or tough to cook regardless of whether you have roommates or not.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

If it does I don't get why it would be awkward or tough to cook regardless of whether you have roommates or not.

Dorms have kitchens now? Since when?!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Some really expensive dorms do. Most have community kitchens or none at all.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Do you have a crockpot?

If this guy really is living in a dorm room, you cannot have a crock pot. It's against the regulations and the firemen do come through the dorms randomly and check them and confiscate (yes, confiscate) anything that doesn't conform to regulations. Most places you cannot have anything that cooks food aside from a microwave. Sometimes you can have a hot plate, but that essentially boils water and that's it. You can use the community kitchen, but you are dealing with equipment that is not yours that may or may not work properly or at all, and you have to sit down there, with everyone walking by, probably asking you to share your food.

Just go to Boston Market if you want it. It's no more processed than the cafeteria food or ramen you are stuck with if you don't eat it. That's what people are not understanding. That's your cooked choices in college in a dorm: cafeteria food, ramen, or fast food.

I was an RA, I'm very well aware of the rules.
    However, he didn't say dorm room. He said "college" and "roommates".
    He's also 20 so he doesn't necessarily live on campus.
    And even my rinky-dink crap-*kitten* rural college had 2 non-traditional housing arrangements that had full kitchens. And I know some real colleges (I say real meaning NOT my college) have on-campus apartments.

And not all schools send firemens. My school sent me to do fire code checks. I wrote up quite a few people and confiscated a lot of candles.

• Iwishyouwell
    Options
    That's what people are not understanding. That's your cooked choices in college in a dorm: cafeteria food, ramen, or fast food.

No, those weren't the choices at my university. There were kitchens in all three of the dorm-apartments I resided in. And while I attended a large, prestigious university with incredible dorms, my wife attended a very small, little known liberal arts school and all their campus housing was apartment style and had kitchens; the school didn't even have meal plans.

So this depends totally on the school you attend.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Wow. I'm old.

We had a "community kitchen." It was a microwave.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think I can make that type of food much easier and tastier at home. I never found Boston Market yummy but if you like it then go for it if it stays within your calorie intake. For myself, if I am going to eat out I am going to a place that I really love.

To be honest, I didn't think that Boston Market was still around. I have not seen one in years.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Wow. I'm old.

It completely depends on the school.
    Not "expensive dorms"
    My college started at 32k when I was a freshman, four years later it was close to 40k. There was a shared microwave.
    But when I was younger and at a science program, the dorm had a community kitchen. I think it would have more to do with the size of the school rather than the expense. I can't see a school like UConn, UMass, other state schools with it but I didn't go to a state school so I can't say for certain (in retrospect, I should've lol)
  • Iwishyouwell
    edited January 2015
    Options

Wow. I'm old.

It's not your age. I'm a couple years older than you, but based on when I went to school and graduated you and I would have likely been in uni together for several overlapping years.

Dorms just vary depending on where you're going. Always have.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I think I can make that type of food much easier and tastier at home. I never found Boston Market yummy but if you like it then go for it if it stays within your calorie intake. For myself, if I am going to eat out I am going to a place that I really love.

To be honest, I didn't think that Boston Market was still around. I have not seen one in years.

They aren't that common - at least not in New England. I've seen one in NH and one in CT. But I'm not overly interested in them so...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

They aren't that common - at least not in New England. I've seen one in NH and one in CT. But I'm not overly interested in them so...

Around Boston, there are locations in Quincy, Dorchester, Norwood, Everett, Medford and somewhere on the pike (I think Natick)
  • Jimmyftw2
    Options

Wow. I'm old.

Not "expensive dorms"
    My college started at 32k when I was a freshman, four years later it was close to 40k. There was a shared microwave.
    But when I was younger and at a science program, the dorm had a community kitchen. I think it would have more to do with the size of the school rather than the expense. I can't see a school like UConn, UMass, other state schools with it but I didn't go to a state school so I can't say for certain (in retrospect, I should've lol)

I don't live in a dorm anymore, I used to in my first year and there was a microfridge (microwave + refrigerator+freezer combo) in each dorm room and a community kitchen outside.

I live in an on campus apartment now which has a full refrigerator/freezer, oven, and stove top.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Wow. I'm old.

Not "expensive dorms"

I don't live in a dorm anymore, I used to in my first year and there was a microfridge (microwave + refrigerator+freezer combo) in each dorm room and a community kitchen outside.

I live in an on campus apartment now which has a full refrigerator/freezer, oven, and stove top.

If you have all of that available to you, why is cooking a chicken weird?